plexiglas

ike

When I have cut plexiglass which has been a little while. I found where it was recommended to use duck tape on the top and bottom  over the paper and put the pattern on that then cut. It did seem to go well. With the duck tape I could speed up a lot. I had cut very slow speed or it would melt back together. Not sure if this makes since but that is what I do.

Good morning William. I, too, use a DW788 (a recent acquisition). I purchased a piece of 3/32 " Plexiglas and after experimenting with a number of different blades, and speeds I reverted to my Dremel. I found that the shavings from the Plexiglas clung together and wouldn't dissipate like wood shavings despite having a superb aftermarket blower. I was constantly having to stop and clear the shavings from around the blade. Cheers, Barry. 

Whatever blade you choose, practice first. If the blade speed is too fast the Plexiglass may melt together during the cut. I found that covering the top and bottom with packing tape helps cool the blade tremendously. You can leave the paper on the Plexiglass and after cutting remove the pattern, tape and paper very easily.

I tried cutting some plexiglass and that was when I too became a welder instead. I should borrow someones welder and try welding two pieces of plexiglass together with it and maybe I will find that I can cut the plexiglass that way..  just kidding,  I have some plexiglass hanging  around, only because i remember making little hearts in woodshop in grade school,out of them but do not remember how we cut them. so I am interested in seeing the outcome here

Dick

heppnerguy

I have never cut Plexiglas and was wondering what blade to use and speed. This is 1/8 thick Plexiglas with paper on both sides?

With plex that has paper on both sides, I use the blade that I like best. I can cut fairly fast (normal) & have not had the plex fuse together behind the blade. I even cut two 1/4 inch pieces stacked, but, a little slower, naturally.  I have had good luck with all of my cuttings of Acrylic, but, it has to have paper or tape on both sides to do as I do. I even use spiral blades on it also, no problems.  Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...