Drilling entry holes, any alternative to the Seyco Drill?

dansnow

Just finished a project that was too big to be able to drill all the entry holes on my drill press. Did several by hand, and had a few that weren't square.

I was looking at the little drill press sorta thing that Seyco sells. It seems to be exactly what I need, but good lord!! At 1/3 of the price I'd still think it was expensive.  

So my question is this, does anyone know of a similar product that works much the same, but that doesn't cost an arm, a leg, a lung, 2nd and 3rd mortgage and your first born?

Any hints, tips, alternatives welcomed.

I have the Seyco mini drill thing and it works great and I also have the Drememl router attachment too. I think that would be a great way to go and I think I paid some thing like $29.95 or $30.00 for it and I also have the work station for the Dremel tool but it doesn't reach larger areas. So I think the Dremel router attachment will work better for you. I never thought to use my router attachment for drilling those entry holes. Now I wished I hadn't spent the money on the Seyco. But I keep it near the scroll saw for drilling one or two entry holes. Good luck.

Good morning Dan

I use my dremel with a flex shaft attached for times when my mini drill press won't reach. Mind you a steady hand is needed but works great being your able to hold it like a pencil. The dremel plunge router attachment should work great as well. I've looked at the Seyco mini drill press but way too costly. If there's a will there's always a way of drilling holes made easy.

You could use a mini drill chuck in a drill press I was thinking. But then it might be too hard on that tiny drill bit so I say go for the plunge and buy the router attachment for the Dremel if you have one. I think they fit most of the  Dremel rotary tools. How ever I do like the mini drill thing from Seyco but that are too pricey so I wished I hadn't spent that money but it is too late now so will use it. Tho it is a nice little tool. Fay

Got the plunger router adaptor, but of course my decades old dremel doesn't work in it, so will have to get a new dremel. But that's okay, even though it'll be close to the cost of the seyco unit, it won't be a uni-tasker. Decided to go with the 12volt dremel so I don't have to fuss with a cord.

I too have the dremil plunge router attachment,used it a few times.I just don't like the whining noise from  routers or dremils.My shop work area is outside that I'm working on, two metal doors in the corner of the courtyard next to the fence FOR WORK TABLES.Hopefully the change of atmosphere will induce more projects. I'm getting swamped with quality wood and before i get buried alive push comes to shove :)

Edited by amazingkevin

I like all the drill dust in one place ,and the flat area and control of drill press with out burning up the bits ,and the high speed scream of the dremel ,plus drilling w/ a back stop and chasing the dremel and haveing it crashing on to the floor in between ,but I love my dremel but it is confined to a gantry w/ a flex shaft along w/ the foredom ,easy to get careless w/ a dremel and have unintended booboos ,but then I have accidents (being a clutz ) knocking hand dremels on the floor breaking them ,and taking a short cut and dam near drill my self and unintended items over the years ,so just be careful , and have fun !! 

I do not like the variable speed Dermel.  To get the power needed you have to run at top speed anyway.  I have an old $28 black and decker rotary tool that has three speeds and run it on the low speed.  Works way better.  I mounted it in a Dremel Drill Press attachment tool and slant the bit to six degrees.  I need this to do the hundreds of inlays I do every year.

Just tried it out, and my 8220 12v variable speed dremel, set at about 8k rpm, makes short work of 1/2" maple with out hardly slowing down. The action on the plunge router attachment is smooth and precise. I'm very pleased with it. For the cost of the seyco unit I have a tool that will be useful for many varied tasks.

Just tried it out, and my 8220 12v variable speed dremel, set at about 8k rpm, makes short work of 1/2" maple with out hardly slowing down. The action on the plunge router attachment is smooth and precise. I'm very pleased with it. For the cost of the seyco unit I have a tool that will be useful for many varied tasks.

Glad your satisfied and have a multi-purpose tool ,but even 8000 rpms is hardly drill speed in 1/2" maple your drill bit s, will get super hot, super quick so be very careful ,and buy plenty of drill bits cause your burning them up !  Bits get hot when run a proper speed @ 10 times + they can be dangerous quickly so be careful .

I have a plunge router, so this really works. I find my little chuck in my drill press tends to wobble on me. the only thing I noticed with the plunge router is trying to see where drill the holes sometimes, any secrets for that problem?

Thanks

Bill

Bill, sometimes I put a small dot on each cutout area then go back with an awl to make a small indentation. It seems like a lot of work, but you don't have to do it for evey hole, just the important ones. Another thought is that the pattern is just a guide so if the hole is off a bit, no big deal, no one else will ever know. Edited by Dan

• 3 years later...

Just what I needed to drill the entry holes on A3 size poplar plywood, for scroll saw portrait. Like many, my bench drill chuck centre to pillar is not long enough to drill the holes in the centre of the pattern. I am very grateful, Zen Scroller. Yours Faithfully, Michael, Foxhole, St Austell, Cornwall, uk