Drilling entry holes, any alternative to the Seyco Drill?

dansnow

I use a harbor a little hf $15 portable drill press with two 1"x4"(aprox) runners on the Bottom. And,a small rechargeable screw driver for $9 from hf with 1/16th hex bit works, great for me and less than $30. Really helped me get 90 degree holes exactly where I want them,  

Edited by fordamir
Spelling

On 20/04/2014 at 3:14 PM, smitty0312 said:

Here's my solution.....I made this a few years ago, found pattern on net somewhere, but for the life of me can't find it now. Hope this might give you an idea. Thanks.

post-1428-0-50790900-1398003236_thumb.jpg

post-1428-0-09355100-1398003250_thumb.jpg

post-1428-0-63115900-1398003264_thumb.jpg

post-1428-0-36438300-1398003277_thumb.jpg

On 13/06/2017 at 1:09 PM, POPSY said:

Just what I needed to drill the entry holes on A3 size poplar plywood, for scroll saw portrait. Like many, my bench drill chuck centre to pillar is not long enough to drill the holes in the centre of the pattern. I am very grateful, Zen Scroller. Yours Faithfully, Michael, Foxhole, St Austell, Cornwall, uk

Dear Dan, I finished making a smaller sized one yesterday, absolutely grateful for your inspiration: over the moon with the project's simplicity. Having tried and tested the project I can now scroll larger portraits. Yours Faithfully, Michael.

I have a couple drill i use.  The first is a hand drill, the old gear kind.  bought it on ebay for like $6 oiled it up and it should last me forever.

For smaller holes which I usually use I use a jewelers drill.  Its got like a spiral thing and you pump it up and down and it spins.  I have 2 versions of this, a real small one about 4 inches and a large one about 8 inches.  It depends on the bit i am using.  If its like a #72 bit the weight of the drill will snap it so thats why the small drills.  

• 3 years later...

It looks like Dremel wins this discussion.  But if anyone is interested, here's an alternative.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HQONFVE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It is a table top drill press from Wen, $85 on Amazon.  I use it and am happy with it.  

Edited by Algae

On 6/13/2017 at 11:59 AM, ike said:

I have a dremel plunger router i use for this purpose.( i used it today) I have a small limited shop and this works fine. I wouldn't be with out it annd the cost  when I bought it was about $25 about 3 years ago.

IKE.

I just bought this plunge router (November 2020) attachment for my Dremel from Home Depot (On Line) for less than $27,