Top/Bottom Feed

Jim McDonald

Blade Feeding  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the preferred method of feeding blades

If along side these results, we also had the numbers of years the folks have been scrolling, I think you might find a divide.  All the old scroll saws were bottom feed only, so all scrollers that started during those years would have been bottom feeding, I would think for those folks, switching to top feed would be awkward.

However, for those that have come into scrolling with the Hawk G4, DW788, or Excalibur, all of which are top feed capable, I suspect the numbers would tell a different story.

Also, for those that cut exclusively cut puzzles and intarsia, I think feeding may be meaniningless for those project types. 

Edited by hotshot

If along side these results, we also had the numbers of years the folks have been scrolling, I think you might find a divide.  All the old scroll saws were bottom feed only, so all scrollers that started during those years would have been bottom feeding, I would think for those folks, switching to top feed would be awkward.

However, for those that have come into scrolling with the Hawk G4, DW788, or Excalibur, all of which are top feed capable, I suspect the numbers would tell a different story.

Also, for those that cut exclusively cut puzzles and intarsia, I think feeding may be meaniningless for those project types.

I'll disagree with you Randy. I started on a bottom feed saw. Used it for two years. I got the DeWalt saw because of the top feeding feature. It didn't take any time before I was proficient in top feeding!

I'll disagree with you Randy. I started on a bottom feed saw. Used it for two years. I got the DeWalt saw because of the top feeding feature. It didn't take any time before I was proficient in top feeding!

I started on the Porter Cable for a short while before moving up, but the blade change mechanism was part of the reason for laying down that kind of money.  I agree that it is easy for some to switch, but many do not.  So with all the bottom scrollers, there has to be a reason.

Edited by hotshot

This poll will be skewed results, most people don't have the top feed option with their saws. The question if they have a choice to top feed should be asked, if they don't have the option, then of course they will be bottom feeders. What about the Dewalt scroll saw, can you top feed with them? If you can, how easy is it to do so? I switched from being a bottom feeder, to being a top feeder as soon as I had the option. It didn't take any getting used to, it just seemed like the normal thing to do.

Len

Edited by Lucky2

I didn't "mark" one or the other. As a newbie - I confess that I am still trying to decide which way I prefer. Since I have been primarily doing Intarsia work - I haven't had a lot of need to be "Feeding" the blade in and out from the top or the bottom.  Just put the new blade in and cut the lines.  I have recently done a few small pieces where I had to drill the holes and feed the blade and have tried both ways.  Not sure I have figured it out yet if I have a preference. I think I am leaning toward the top feeding.  With the saws I have, I can go feed from the top or the bottom.  Maybe it has to do with my being left-handed which has made me more "ambidextrous" then the average gal.  ;)  :lol:    What I have figured out is that if I am doing work where I need to be feeding the blade in and out of drilled holes more than a couple of times, I much prefer to do it on the Excalibur over the Dewalt since the Dewalt I have to keep manually putting a board or something in to hold up the arm of the Dewalt. :cry:

I'm an unabashed bottom feeder.  My first saw was bottom feed only.  I upgraded to a DeWalt after about 5 years or so.  By that time, bottom feeding was pretty much embedded in my DNA.  Actually, with saws like the Dewalt and the EX that I have now, lifting the upper arm makes bottom feeding easier for me.  I tried top feeding a couple times and didn't take to it.  I suppose with a little more effort and practice I would get used to it and end up wondering what took me so long to switch, but bottom feeding really isn't a burden to me.

I have found in my years of scrolling that after you drill all your holes you take a large nail and tap each hole on the bottom side you wont have any problem finding the holes as the blade just naturally slide into the hole if you still have a problem try poking a pencil in the hole leaving a little black mark in the hole so to see it better. If that dont work have you tried a bandsaw? 

In Steve Goods recent Jet review, he made a comment "fortunately, over 90% of the people out there are bottom feeders, I don't know why that is, but almost everybody does" (30:44 in the video).   I think what this poll does show is that the two camps are closer in numbers than what he thinks.

What difference does it make?  For those of us happy with our saws, and their capabilities, not much.  But in establishing the value of a new scroll saw that is solely for bottom feeders, that distinction is meaningful as that saw "takes sides" with one group, alienating the other.  Once i understood what Jet had done, my heart sank.

If I were a bottom feed only user, and I was in the market, I would be very excited about the new Jet, but, I fall in the wrong camp for that saw.

-------Randy

Edited by hotshot

Proud bottom feeder here!  When I started scrolling just a few short years ago it just seemed like the way to do it.  I've tried top feeding on several occasions and it just seems awkward to me.  I cant easily see under my table and honestly it hurts the old back to bend down and try and see what I'm doing.  I've always felt that if it's not broke don't fix it...lol.