Clock Challenge

Travis

9fc2b80e1fa888ddd5f00f2a6a65b623.gif

Winter has been long and cruel. and I'm bouncing off the wall waiting for Spring. I was looking at the calender today and notice Daylight Savings starts on March 14th this year. That's less than 30 days away! If that wasn't enough, March 20th marks the first day of Spring! So hope is right around the corner. To celebrate, I thought it would be fun to throw a challenge/contest!

In the honor of Daylight Savings, I thought it would be appropriate to have a clock contest. After all, we need a clock to set forward, right? The contest will run until March 31st. The winner will receive a copy of Miniature Wooden Clocks for the Scroll Saw by Rick Longabaugh. I own this book myself and it's awesome. So many great patterns for just about any occasion. So I encourage you to enter.

How do you enter, you might ask? Its easy. All you have to do is cut a clock project, take a pic, and post it to your User Gallery. Make sure you post a link to it in this thread. If you'd like another shot at winning this book, you can also design a clock for our Pattern Library. We'd really like to expand our clock patterns, so this is a great way to enter and help out SSV at the same time.

So here's the rundown. The contest will run from Feb 19th through March 31st. You can get one entry for cutting a clock project and one entry for a clock pattern for a total of two entries. The winner will be drawn at random and posted on SSV. This contest is open to everybody on the planet (I'll ship overseas). So there's no excuse for not entering. ;)

OK. Here's the fine print. - You can only get a maximum of 2 entries per person. Links to your pictures and/or patterns must be posted in this thread to be entered in the contest. Creation of additional accounts to increase your chances of winning are strictly prohibited and may get you banned (we can tell these things). You'll have 2 weeks to claim your prize. After that, a new drawing will be held where we'll pick a new winner. Have fun!

I'd love to get more clock patterns in the library. (hint hint ;) ) They don't have to be mini-clocks either. Any kind of clock would be awesome.

To get you pattern designers started, I've attached a base template for a mini clock. The file is in Inkscape format, so all you have to do is open it up in Inkscape and create your pattern. The template has the clock insert mount, the surrounding frame, and the clock base. The design is up to you. You can scale any of the pieces easy enough. However, the clock insert frame should not be scaled as it is already the correct size for a 36mm clock insert.

If anybody else wants to make some Inkscape Templates, please post them here too. I'll create a downloads page and make those available as well.

If you want to know how to make a clock pattern, you can check out this tutorial/video in the Village University that specifically deals with mini-clock design.

I can't wait to see what y'all come up with. :cool:

If I can figure out how to post pics here, then here is my first entry. I designed this one last week, and if I find the time, it is gonna be the first in a series of wildlife clocks. I also have pdf versions, and a version without the "twig border" if anyone preferred that.

If I can figure out how to post pics here, then here is my first entry. I designed this one last week, and if I find the time, it is gonna be the first in a series of wildlife clocks. I also have pdf versions, and a version without the "twig border" if anyone preferred that.

That turned out great! Be sure to upload it to the Pattern Library (you can find a [tut]tutorial here[/tut]) so others can find the pattern too. Thanks for entering! :thumbs:

Since I already own the book (and a few others!) I won't be entering the contest. However, I have just finished my 1st inkscape project where I had to slightly modify a pdf of a clock and it worked great! I am going to start trying to use Inkscape (and Travis' template - thanks) to design some of my own clock patterns. I've been using GIMP to manipulate my photos. Have I got this backwards? I guess I'm still exploring both programs!

Dan

Travis''''''''''' even though i work on a computer all day i still am a newwbie when it comes to doing this kinda thing i posted a little of my works i see you have a clock challange i made one for a friend who loved to trout fish it is in tthe new pattern listing hope i didnt mess anything up if i did let me know and i will delete and make it right thanks for letting me express myself scrolldad. hope you all like some of my work will post more soon :oops:

thumb_trout_clock~0.jpg