Gorilla Glue for finish

Dave Monk

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

Last night on TV I saw a guy using Gorrila Glue as a finish. He put a few drops on the wood and rubbed it in with a cloth. After it was dry he sanded it with a ultra fine sand paper and then waxed it. Found it pretty interesting.

Did the glue make the grain stand out if so I am guessing you could prob use what we call pva (basic wood glue) might try a bit on an old scrap see what it dries like :) 

CA  or Super Glue Is a very durable finish for pens that will be used on a daily basis.About 10 -15 coats running on the lathe Sand from about 400 grit to around 2000 or higher.Plastic polish and it looks like glass.But I still prefer a Friction polish finish It just feels better. But higher Maintenance.The friction polish is preferred by collectors.

I have used the CA super glue finish on a few of my jewelry pieces. They hold up well to daily to use. I haven't tried it on a bigger project, I wouldn't like the smell associated with it.

Sounds like an interesting thing to try.

6 hours ago, MrsN said:

I have used the CA super glue finish on a few of my jewelry pieces. They hold up well to daily to use. I haven't tried it on a bigger project, I wouldn't like the smell associated with it.

Sounds like an interesting thing to try.

It will burn your eyes sometimes. I put a Vac Attch. on the lathe It works great for CA finish and fine dust when sanding exotics.

16 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Last night on TV I saw a guy using Gorrila Glue as a finish. He put a few drops on the wood and rubbed it in with a cloth. After it was dry he sanded it with a ultra fine sand paper and then waxed it. Found it pretty interesting.

Dave I have not heard of this but I can believe it would work. I have used True Oil mixed with Armor All on gun stocks and it did very well. I have used this combo to refinish several stocks. I will have to try the Gorrila Glue on a small piece of wood and see how it does. I love trying new stuff.

2 hours ago, Phantom Scroller said:

Very nice pens surprising how additive pen making is especially when you experiment with coating and the blanks. :thumbs: 

Roly your right. There are so many different  kits and blanks.I made over 200 pens ,and there are not 2 alike. Except when I made 6 pens for nurses at the treatment center.Even they were a little different  than each other.Each Olive Wood blank had a totally different grain.

Edited by tonylumps