Puffins

ricklab

Nicely done intarsia piece. The off set Heights of the two birds does present a little bit of a quandary when it is time to hang. Maybe someone smarter than me, ( and that is just about anyone ), just might have the answer for this problem. Who's pattern is this? I do not recall seeing it before

Dick

heppnerguy

Nicely done Rick, but, you should have no trouble hanging it. Try applying two hangers on the back of it, but keep them level to each other. Don't try attaching the hangers at two different levels, that's just a nightmare in the making. The level hangers will hold the piece level, as long as the pins it hangs on are. Using the two hangers will negate the need of using the wire, and would make it so that a backer isn't needed either.

Len

Puffins eh!i hope no one i know see's this postand ask me can i do it LOLThe Atlantic Puffin is the provincial bird of newfoundland . About 95% of all North America'spuffins breed around the Newfoundland and Labrador coasts. The largest puffin colony in the western Atlantic (225,000 pairs) can be found at the Witless Bay Ecological Reserve, 32km south of St. John's. Anyway beautiful piece and thanks for sharing something so close to home for me.love it.

Nicely done intarsia piece. The off set Heights of the two birds does present a little bit of a quandary when it is time to hang. Maybe someone smarter than me, ( and that is just about anyone ), just might have the answer for this problem. Who's pattern is this? I do not recall seeing it before

Dick

heppnerguy

Hey Dick - just wanted to answer your question. The puffins pattern is one from Judy Gale Roberts. (I remembered seeing it when I took her class.) you can find it on her website here: http://intarsia.com/?s=Puffins&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&post_type=product

You can buy just the pattern, or for a little more get her "classroom in a tube." That gives you the multiple copies you need and her directions. Classroom looks like it is presently on sale for a few dollars savings. I believe that a couple of years back she used this piece in her advanced class before she did the sun with a face last year. This year it is Enstein image looks like.

You did a great job on yours Rick. Thanks for sharing your photo. I agree, I would put two hangers on it level with each other. You could also reach out to Judy's shop and see how they recommend doing it. I know they would be happy to help.

I too love this job. 

As regards your problem with hanging them level, what about putting a hanger behind the tall bird and then put a panel pin, or similar under the left bird to hold it level. From my experience it is easier to 'prop up' an uneven job like this rather than try to hang them level.

Bob  

Hey Dick - just wanted to answer your question. The puffins pattern is one from Judy Gale Roberts. (I remembered seeing it when I took her class.) you can find it on her website here: http://intarsia.com/?s=Puffins&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&post_type=product

You can buy just the pattern, or for a little more get her "classroom in a tube." That gives you the multiple copies you need and her directions. Classroom looks like it is presently on sale for a few dollars savings. I believe that a couple of years back she used this piece in her advanced class before she did the sun with a face last year. This year it is Enstein image looks like.

You did a great job on yours Rick. Thanks for sharing your photo. I agree, I would put two hangers on it level with each other. You could also reach out to Judy's shop and see how they recommend doing it. I know they would be happy to help.

Thank you for the information. i am very familiar with JGR sight and work. I have made several of her patterns. I just do not recall seeing this particular pattern before... She has so many. My daughter is starting her third piece of intarsia as I write this. I expect you will be seeing some really nice work from her.  For some reason she can not get confirmed for this page and I will have to go to work on that with her tomorrow

Dick

Thank you for the information. i am very familiar with JGR sight and work. I have made several of her patterns. I just do not recall seeing this particular pattern before... She has so many. My daughter is starting her third piece of intarsia as I write this. I expect you will be seeing some really nice work from her.  For some reason she can not get confirmed for this page and I will have to go to work on that with her tomorrow

Dick

You are welcome Dick. I agree that JGR has so many wonderful patterns and it would be hard to keep track of all that she has and she keeps adding to them.  She has so many that I want to do that I am not sure that I could ever get to them all in my lifetime.  Time will tell I guess.  ;)  :lol: It will help when the heat of summer goes away and my kiddos are back at college.  I will have more free time that I need to fill!  :cry:

I look forward to seeing your daughter's work.  She and I can be newbies together.  You might send Travis a pm and have him look into her registration.  I had sent him one a week or so ago asking a question and he said he was covered up with his real job so maybe still is.

You are welcome Dick. I agree that JGR has so many wonderful patterns and it would be hard to keep track of all that she has and she keeps adding to them.  She has so many that I want to do that I am not sure that I could ever get to them all in my lifetime.  Time will tell I guess.  ;)  :lol: It will help when the heat of summer goes away and my kiddos are back at college.  I will have more free time that I need to fill!  :cry:

I look forward to seeing your daughter's work.  She and I can be newbies together.  You might send Travis a pm and have him look into her registration.  I had sent him one a week or so ago asking a question and he said he was covered up with his real job so maybe still is.

Actually, I made an effort to meet Travis when he moved from Montana to Portland, Oregon.. He agreed to my request and I had lunch with him where he told me that I was the only person on Scrollsaw Village that he had actually met in person. That was two years ago. Since then I have made an effort to meet three other SSV members. So I feel particularly connected here. My daughter and I will make more effort tomorrow to see if we can get her on here. She is doing her third piece of intarsia now and she should have it finished in a couple of days. I think it will be fun for her to start to get connected here too. I am so glad to see how quickly you have become a regular. I try to stress the importance to post often so one can get familiar with the already regular posting members and the results are that one will feel like family. I am sure that you have already achieved that familiararity here.

Dick

heppnerguy

I agree Dick - It's great to meet people in person when you can.  Glad you got to meet up with Travis.  It's great when you can actually get to know a person "in person." I have made an effort to be here and get to comment to help me become a true "member" quickly.  I think that is because I have been on a couple of other forums for my paper crafting hobbies for several years and learned that you have to make the effort to participate and share in order to get comfortable with the others on the forum.  I agree that it helps to feel more like an extended family - albeit a family that shares the same hobby/passion (which is also nice when others in your real family may not.) I look forward to seeing your daughter join in and seeing her work.