Work Hold Down For Used Saw - New to Scrolling?

FordTrax

I bought a used PS Wood 21" scroll saw - it has been used but is in okay shape.   The guy bought it from an auction and did not have room for it.   Upon cleaning it up a bit I noticed that the compression fitting from the flexible nozzle and plastic hose is missing - I think I can order a new one from PS wood pretty easily.  I will probably also order a new bellows and belt.

I also noted the work hold down is gone - are these really worth having or just more of a PITA?  

Anything else I should check or service?

I actually still use the hold-downs some! Mostly do NOT! But on some woods with some blades that want to buck I do use them.

A welcome and just do not worry about that hold-down! You only use it a little!

Old saws still cut wood too. Enjoy what you have and make a large amount of sawdust.

Everyone sometimes misses the lines, small errors are easy to correct/ignore most will only show to you!

If you are going to miss the line go to the waste area--sands-- files of!

Do not worry about perfect or what Joe Jones thinks! Look in the mirror and do it to please that GUY!

If you cut into a good area back out and continue on after you finish take some sawdust from the job mix it with modeling glue and

fill in the saw mark let dry and sand down and no one will notice most of your mistakes are only noticed only by you

Edited by ike

Well, all is good advice. The only reason for the hold-down is to keep the blade from pulling the wood piece up & down.  Really hard to follow any line with that happening. I think the saw & the quality of the blade makes all the difference in how easy it cuts, without any jerking of the work piece.  Enjoy your new saw & have fun.  Take Care 

thank you.   Sounds like the prior owner probably removed the hold down - as most of you do - and it probably got separated from the saw.   The guy I am bought the saw at auction now with the hold down removed.   I will not replace the hold down.    I will get a new bellows and belt - as well as - a new connector for the flexible blower line.   Probably less than $30 with shipping.

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest i mostly use my hold down as a guide, i have only been scrolling about a year so when i start forcing my work too much to the side i notice it before i break my blade. The pros here have been scrollin for years and can tell when their forcing it too much to a side, me not so much! Im hoping i can become just as good as them and toss mine away! Lol

The scroll saw is the safest tool in my shop ,even a cluts has to work hard to get cut by one seriously ! for years I had a picture of the OSHA cowboy hangin in my shop ! Tools do not think or care thats the operators job ,distractions and over confidence cause majority of issues ,ask any Harley driver who has laid his bike down . The only safe tool is one still in the box unless you drop it on you foot !  attention .CONSTANT ATTENTION ,is needed !