Attaching airhose to scroll saw ???

LarryEA

Larry

Buy the tool it is much better than the struggle

http://www.modularhose.com/Loc-Line-14-System/14-miscellaneous

If you are trying to put the nipple on the end, it is no problem.  If you are trying to connect the entire hose to the metal fitting you may have to take the metal fitting off the saw to use the tool.

Some folks have used hot water, some folks have used a heat gun but the tool works best.

Edited by Doug

I used hair dryer once and heat gun another time.  Still takes some pressure to get it on.  Found out a pair of leather gloves lets you get it hotter and still hold on to it.  Both times popped right on there.  Pressure with one arm or a helper on one side of arm and push on the other side.  (I forget how many times I had to stomp on the floor)

Larry

I DON'T KNOW WHO DREMPT UP THAT SYSTEM, BUT, HE OR THEY SHOULD BE UNEMPLOYED. I WOULD RATHER JUST USE A HOSE IN MY TEETH, HA.     GOOD LUCK

Hey Larry, the air line on the DeWalt and many other saws is made by Loc-line. It is a very efficient system for delivering air and liquids to various machines in industries and hobby.

The advantage of this system is it needs only one mounting point and can be adjusted to any position, unlike a plastic tube or hose that needs to be mounted to a hold down foot or column as on some saws.

The loc-line is very strong and durable, but can be a little brittle if abused. By using the proper technique it is easly repaired.

I struggled with mine once and came to the conclusion that it was not going to be possible to get it back on my 788. but the idea of heating it make it expand, came to mind and I boiled it in a pan of water for several minutes. It still took a lot of determination and strong effort but I was able to succeed. Muscle that sucker on.. it will go. but never easy.

Dick

heppnerguy

If you can't get it, call in the wife  :razz:

I had the same issue, used my $8 heat gun from HF and leather gloves and it pushed right on. It was one section shorter though! That was the one that had somehow broken in half on the saw. I am positive a pan of extremely hot water would also work for the heat!

The rather thin leather gloves are a shop necessity! Save many sander burns when using the belt sander for fitting pieces or for cutting improvements!

Edited by rjR

I had the same issue, used my $8 heat gun from HF and leather gloves and it pushed right on. It was one section shorter though! That was the one that had somehow broken in half on the saw. I am positive a pan of extremely hot water would also work for the heat!

The rather thin leather gloves are a shop necessity! Save many sander burns when using the belt sander for fitting pieces or for cutting improvements!

I like your glove idea.  I had my 12 disk sander take a bite on me once and that did not feel too good. The only concern I would see with gloves is on a belt or disk sander, you might need to be especially careful of the machine grabbing part of your glove.. that wouldn't be very good

Dick

heppnerguy

I attached a fish air pump to my foot pedal so when I press on the pedal to operate the saw the pump turns on as well. The clear hose coming from the pump is 1/4" then I used a clear hose that fit over the 1/4" hose about 1 1/2" long, heated up the end with a lighter and with light pressure pressed it over the plastic hose on the saw. I bought a large aquarium air pump. 

Edited by grosa

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I attached a fish air pump to my foot pedal so when I press on the pedal to operate the saw the pump turns on as well. The clear hose coming from the pump is 1/4" then I used a clear hose that fit over the 1/4" hose about 1 1/2" long, heated up the end with a lighter and with light pressure pressed it over the plastic hose on the saw. I bought a large aquarium air pump. 

I agree.

On all the saws I have owned The first thing I do is to install a aquairium air pump.  They are so much stronger that the bellows that come with the scroll saws.  Talk about clearing the saw dust!

Plus no more proplems with split rubber bellows.

Works for me

Later

Jamminjack

post-2247-0-71259100-1423955899_thumb.jpgI have tried many ways to blow away the sawdust including: bellows that came with the saw, aquarium pump, compressed air from my shop compressor, squirrel cage fan, shop vac, dust collector and finally the one I just started using this week.  A $12 hair dryer from Walmart with the heat turned off.  Works very well.