Hello from NY..

FranMike Harley

Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I just found your Community. I am new to the hobby of scroll sawing having started less than a month ago. My Wife surprised me with a scroll saw for Christmas - she knew I was looking for a "hobby" and I've always enjoy watching people create such wonderful things with wood, whether it was carving, turning or scroll sawing.. 

Always scouring the web for new ideas, suggestions on blades, techniques, scroll saws, etc and happy to find this Community ! I'm looking forward to being a part of a Community that has the same interests, questions, concerns - sharing ideas, getting feedback, etc..

The saw my Wife got me was a Porter Cable from Lowes.  It's a good entry level machine (to me, at least) and it's doing the job for me but I can see that as my fondness for the hobby continues to grow, I'll need to move "up" to a better machine. Been reading alot about DeWalts, Excaliburs, etc.. I'm also finding out that the blades make a huge difference in the steadiness of the cut, etc..  So I'm here to learn and share and get better and better..

Thanks for having me and look forward to being a part of the Community..

I'm attaching a pic of what I've done so far.. Have to give credit to Steve Good at the "Scroll Saw Workshop" (www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com ) for the patterns and really giving me the info. I needed to at least get started in the hobby. 

The last piece I finished just yesterday was the horse in the circle. I left it out for my Wife to see when she got home from work and at first she thought I bought it ! I guess that's a good sign that I'm getting better.. :) Starting out small and not so complicated but working on it !!

Bye for now !

Mike

post-28967-0-94092100-1452354161_thumb.jpg

Welcome Mike, I am also a newbie at scrolling. I also purchased a Porter Cable in December and am hooked. The plate around the blade that came on my saw sat too low so I made a new one out of Oak. It works a lot better.  I am sure as much as I am enjoying it I will upgrade in the future.  Since i finished this project I bought new blades on line and it is working a lot better. dave

post-28878-0-69159200-1452393329_thumb.jpg

post-28878-0-78013200-1452393340_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone. My name is Mike and I just found your Community. I am new to the hobby of scroll sawing having started less than a month ago. My Wife surprised me with a scroll saw for Christmas - she knew I was looking for a "hobby" and I've always enjoy watching people create such wonderful things with wood, whether it was carving, turning or scroll sawing.. 

Always scouring the web for new ideas, suggestions on blades, techniques, scroll saws, etc and happy to find this Community ! I'm looking forward to being a part of a Community that has the same interests, questions, concerns - sharing ideas, getting feedback, etc..

The saw my Wife got me was a Porter Cable from Lowes.  It's a good entry level machine (to me, at least) and it's doing the job for me but I can see that as my fondness for the hobby continues to grow, I'll need to move "up" to a better machine. Been reading alot about DeWalts, Excaliburs, etc.. I'm also finding out that the blades make a huge difference in the steadiness of the cut, etc..  So I'm here to learn and share and get better and better..

Thanks for having me and look forward to being a part of the Community..

I'm attaching a pic of what I've done so far.. Have to give credit to Steve Good at the "Scroll Saw Workshop" (www.scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com ) for the patterns and really giving me the info. I needed to at least get started in the hobby. 

The last piece I finished just yesterday was the horse in the circle. I left it out for my Wife to see when she got home from work and at first she thought I bought it ! I guess that's a good sign that I'm getting better.. :) Starting out small and not so complicated but working on it !!

Bye for now !

Mike

Your doing way better than i did starting out!that's a good thing! My hands won't fit in a porter cable so i can't say what the machine is like but your doing fine with it.Glad to have you and come back often.you've found a home and we will help you be the best you can be! Welcome friend!

A welcome from Oregon to you. I am glad you found us. You have done a lot of homework on your own and i already know you are a wise man by seeing how you are putting your wife first and making her gifts that show your affection for her. Many of us started by finding and using Steve Good's free pattern and tutorials. He is an inspiration to a lot of us here and many owe their love for scrolling to him. The Village is a community you will be very happy you found IF you continue to log on here often and participate to the posts and continue to post your wonderfully done projects. How can one Not love scrolling after they take a piece of wood and create things that make you look like an artist?  I would venture to guess that next Christmas you will be making a lot of gifts for friends and family. Hav e fun with what you do and please ask any questions you might have. Oh, and if there is a pattern you are looking for and can't find, just ask and if it is something new, like say a wood portrait of you wife that you want to cut, You can get one made here for you, just be asking 

Dick

heppnerguy

A welcome from Oregon to you. I am glad you found us. You have done a lot of homework on your own and i already know you are a wise man by seeing how you are putting your wife first and making her gifts that show your affection for her. Many of us started by finding and using Steve Good's free pattern and tutorials. He is an inspiration to a lot of us here and many owe their love for scrolling to him. The Village is a community you will be very happy you found IF you continue to log on here often and participate to the posts and continue to post your wonderfully done projects. How can one Not love scrolling after they take a piece of wood and create things that make you look like an artist?  I would venture to guess that next Christmas you will be making a lot of gifts for friends and family. Hav e fun with what you do and please ask any questions you might have. Oh, and if there is a pattern you are looking for and can't find, just ask and if it is something new, like say a wood portrait of you wife that you want to cut, You can get one made here for you, just be asking 

Dick

heppnerguy

You know what they say, Dick - "Happy Wife = Happy Life" !!!   :)  

Hi Mike!  Welcome aboard the scrollsaw train. You never know where it will take you.

I grew up in Western NY and went to school in Syracuse. I had to look up Poughquag, NY; had no idea where it was.

But when I visited relatives in the Albany area I always flew into White Plains and timed it so I had lunch at the Mt Kisco diner :)

Try a puzzle or two; they are addictive.

Hi Mike!  Welcome aboard the scrollsaw train. You never know where it will take you.

I grew up in Western NY and went to school in Syracuse. I had to look up Poughquag, NY; had no idea where it was.

But when I visited relatives in the Albany area I always flew into White Plains and timed it so I had lunch at the Mt Kisco diner :)

Try a puzzle or two; they are addictive.

Hi Brian.. Poughquag is north of White Plains a bit (folks might know Poughkeepsie, it's close to that) and about 1 1/2 hours south of Albany..  I have flown out of and into, the White Plains airport many a time and in fact, have eaten at the Mt. Kisco diner before as well..  :) 

Small world we live in...