Hello from NE Ohio

Stephanie

Hello, my name is Stephanie. I'm new to just about everything this site is about....scrolling, power tools, sanding and finish work...

With that being said...I was given a dewalt scroll saw recently as an amazing gift to help fullfill my dream to make bird houses and other little crafts that i enjoy looking at and have always told myself "I could do that". So now I guess i have to do it ;).

Ive been practicing with cutting out fun little objects which my 2 year old then paints, we have fun. I think im ready to step up my game and know i am going to be needing alot of advice... im excited to have found this site. Everyone sounds so helpful.

My next step is finding a good sanding set up... I am interested in learning intarsia and like I said before birdhouses... I hope to learn from all of you what tools you like the best so that i can build up my space with items that i can benefit the most from without emptying my pockets!

Hello Stephanie. A big Scottish welcome from me Rob Roy. Sounds like you're raring to go. I must say, without fear or favour, you've come to the right place. If you need information just ask, whether it's how to cut a piece, or even make breakfast, don't be shy. If your looking for patterns, there's plenty in the LIBRARY. If you want a pattern made, we have some of the best pattern makers right here, not to mention MISCHIEF makers too !! Watch out for Amazing Kevin  :lol:  :lol: . No need to go anywhere else.

So Haste Ye Back Stephanie.

Rob Roy.

Hello, my name is Stephanie. I'm new to just about everything this site is about....scrolling, power tools, sanding and finish work...

With that being said...I was given a dewalt scroll saw recently as an amazing gift to help fullfill my dream to make bird houses and other little crafts that i enjoy looking at and have always told myself "I could do that". So now I guess i have to do it ;).

Ive been practicing with cutting out fun little objects which my 2 year old then paints, we have fun. I think im ready to step up my game and know i am going to be needing alot of advice... im excited to have found this site. Everyone sounds so helpful.

My next step is finding a good sanding set up... I am interested in learning intarsia and like I said before birdhouses... I hope to learn from all of you what tools you like the best so that i can build up my space with items that i can benefit the most from without emptying my pockets!

Look at some of the mini bird house our members have made from scraps .they are very beautiful and sell well at shows.?i'm glad you have a dewalt dw788 They are tops in my book,i've had 5 with 4 left,lol Back up saws!Dream it cut it as simple as that we can help should you need any suggestions and you'll get plenty of way to do it to from us ,take your pick.for your intarsia sanding a drill press around a hundred dollars will work with sanding drums of different grit,or for smaller projects a dremil with the sanding drums works too!A foot on off switch for the scroll saw  a box fan or 2 or 3 to collect dust sanding  is nice with pleated paper filters you can vacuum clean when they bow in .Yes lots of way to save money just ask .Your going to fit right in here  and in the forum you can go back in time all the way to 2009 by clicking on the page numbers at the bottom of each page in the forum.You'll learn all the ropes quick ,Keep coming back!Friend

Hi Stephanie, welcome to the Village! So many sanding options. My number one is a random orbital sander. Most of my projects meet the RO sander. Other sanders I use: 1" belt sander, oscillating spindle sander, 4x46 stationary belt with 9" disk sander and a 4x9" inflatable sander for shaping Intarsia pieces. I also have mop sanders in 180 and 220 grits for softening and rounding edges on stand up puzzles.

I also have a couple of portable belt sanders that haven't seen the light of day in years.

So with that, come on in and join the fun!

Edited by dgman

Welcome, Stephanie,

I think you can start out quite well wth a 1" belt sander and a palm sander to

begin your journey into intarsia. After you determine how much contouring you want

to do, you may wish to add more tools.

Here is a link to some free patterns by Judy Gale Roberts

http://intarsia.com/shop/product-category/patterns/free/

Some stained glass patterns work fine for intarsia also.

Have fun and glad to have you here.

God Bless! Spirithorse

Welcome to the forum from TN.  I am one of those that make the miniature birdhouses.  I also do intarsia, but not for several months.  I like to do a little of everything.  DeWalt is one of my saws, you will enjoy.  As for sanding, we never have enough tools.  My first purchase and still use it on every project is a Mac Mop used on a drill press.

• 2 weeks later...