Mantel Clock

munzieb

fret clocks are not only interesting to look at but also fun to cut. I took like the colorization you made as it stands out really well. One can not go wrong with a Sue Mey pattern, that is for sure. Easy to see why the wife loves her new clock. This will probably have returns of orders for friends that see it.

Dick

heppnerguy

Bernd, you and your wife have a beautiful clock there. Both of you did outstanding jobs, first the cutting then the painting are spot on. I can well see why your wife likes it so well, I know I'm not going to be showing it to my wife until I can cut one for her.

Len

Thanks all again for all the nice thoughts. My wife paints all the time and in fact, we are running out of walls for all her paintings. At one time, she taught a technique called "one stroke" where the brush is loaded with several colors at one time. I have to say I did, very much, enjoy this project but making the back presented more problems. I was fixated on making sure all 3 pieces were perfectly even. I glued and pin nailed them together and did ALOT of sanding to make it look even. After spraying it semi gloss black, I realized the detail was not so important. The color hid any blemishes still there. Now I'm on a mission to find a similar clock pattern.

post-30052-0-53983800-1483622536_thumb.jpg

post-30052-0-28028900-1483622566_thumb.jpg

My wife found this pattern on Sue Mey's site and fell in love with it.  "Happy Wife, Happy Life" Fun project to do. Backed up the frame with some scrap pine. Clock was from Clockit. My wife painted the face.

boy .It's hard top believe that's the same clock.she's a wizz at painting.Lucky you to have someone like that .

The reason I bought my scroll saw was to make a wooden clock, the gears and so on, but the further I got into things and the more I learned about different aspects of woodworking in general the further I got away from the clock and never got around to it. Now I have a lot more tools and equipment that I really don't have the same excuses I used to have to not make the clock other than having designed and made many other things.

Now I'm preparing to ramp up for other purposes to earn money making a limited type of cabinetry for the company my son works for, but I'll still have time to fiddle around and get busy trying to make that snazzy clock. I did modify my old Dremel so now it'll cut straight with minimal deflection and mistakes.

All this typing to tell you how lazy I've become.. oh well.. ;)