My Down draft table.

hawkeye10

When I can I have been going outside to sand because of the mess it makes. I decided to build me a down draft sanding but it took a while to figure out what I wanted. Finally on You Tube I saw two videos that I copied to make what I wanted. I can now sit on my stool in the winter and summer and sand in comfort.  Maybe all my scroll saw work will look better.   :lol:

M16gCv1.jpg

nltc4nP.jpg

aT4FCTO.jpg

Perfect compliment to any shop.Now i need to rethink where to put one in my already crowded shop.THANKS :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Very nice...I think people would be interested in the number and size of the holes and what dust collector you are using.

Hey Larry; There are around 60 3/4" holes in the top and around 1 1/2" apart. The 3/4" holes is a choice I made because you can but hold downs that are commercially made. The top is made of popular boards so I could drill the holes on the drill press. Also I had some 3/4" dowel rods so I could make my own clamps and hold downs. I used slides that fully extend and are rated at 100 pounds. Be sure and check out You Tube they have some good ideas you might use.

Very cool.  Using the extraction holes for stops is a great idea.  I wonder if you could hinge the lid so you could store the accessories and maybe even the sander inside?  Obviously you would need some mesh over the extraction port though.

Rob

Very cool.  Using the extraction holes for stops is a great idea.  I wonder if you could hinge the lid so you could store the accessories and maybe even the sander inside?  Obviously you would need some mesh over the extraction port though.

Rob

Rob Your thinking is good but you really can't put anything in there because there are two baffles in there that help get rid of the dust. Please watch this video for a more clear explanation. At minute 1.37 you will see why you can't put anything.

After watching the video, I really, really want one  I guess using a shop vac, a person would just put the sloped baffle at one end.  I also wonder is a shop vac draws enough to collect the dust.  I guess it would. Thanks for starting this thread. 

Paul I have a shop vac and it will not do it. In fact I wish I had a bigger vac than the 1.5 HP Grizzly I have. Look around on YT , they have several video's on down draft tables. I took ideas from two videos to make mine. Your needs may be different than mine.

I built a downdraft table and tried to match the area of the holes to the area of the dust collector hose which is connected.

With the 60 holes that are 3/4" holes, I think the flow and suction is pretty low. You might try covering up some holes that are not near the work you are sanding and see if that improves things.

I must have missed what vacuum or dust collector is being used for the down draft table.

I built a downdraft table and tried to match the area of the holes to the area of the dust collector hose which is connected.

With the 60 holes that are 3/4" holes, I think the flow and suction is pretty low. You might try covering up some holes that are not near the work you are sanding and see if that improves things.

I must have missed what vacuum or dust collector is being used for the down draft table.

Larry I am using a Grizzly 1.5HP dust collector.

When I can I have been going outside to sand because of the mess it makes. I decided to build me a down draft sanding but it took a while to figure out what I wanted. Finally on You Tube I saw two videos that I copied to make what I wanted. I can now sit on my stool in the winter and summer and sand in comfort.  Maybe all my scroll saw work will look better.   :lol:

M16gCv1.jpg

nltc4nP.jpg

aT4FCTO.jpg

Don,

Between you and Larry this Forum has the most experienced Down Draft Box Designers (no offense to the rest of designer who made their boxes before you).

Like I said to Larry, you guys inspire the rest of us to do the same and save our lungs.

I really like the slides :) great addition.

Thank you for sharing

Sam