lots of problems with finishes

amazingkevin

The dragon needed to be patched an stained way to many times .what ever happened swelled the plywood and i had to razor blapost-1607-0-43541200-1491913272_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-39598600-1491913332_thumb.jpgde cut out that sectionpost-1607-0-08217300-1491913151_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-32888900-1491913207_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-68021800-1491913299_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-98356000-1491913347_thumb.jpgi had the three crosses on top of my drill press and needed to use it later .When i did all the crosses fell to the ground and got skuffed up ,now have to spray again.post-1607-0-97648500-1491913436_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-31083500-1491913525_thumb.jpgpost-1607-0-37231000-1491913567_thumb.jpg

Relax, Kevin..........take a deep breath......everything does not need to be done in one day.....finishing is a real lesson in itself........light coats.....wait............................................not yet, wait longer....................................give things a chance to dry....................................................now that it has been sitting for several hours, you can give it a light sanding and another THIN coat of finish...........................wait......................................wait....................................repeat above steps................................................................wait................................................................wait.........................................there, now it is starting to look nice and even....way to go, Kevin

I think you get the picture...If any one  should understand this, it should be you....You can't hurry the finish part and have good success.........Sorry for your troubles, but take it as a good lesson learned..

Dick

heppnerguy

Sounds like you are in a hurry, as always. Stains need time to dry...

Yes plywood swells and the various layers swell differently depending on the grain direction and species used for layers. Baltic Birch is much better and more expensive.

Yes hurry up don't be late.i;m learning.W

I was always told thin coats sand in between coats and add more. Roly

Well ,She wanted dark cherry and thin coats would take a month of sundays to do.

hy can't i just cut the wood?

I also sometimes have issues with staining.  That is why I avoid it if possible.

You do nice work s usual.  The drill press is NOT  a drying rack.

I have had things jump down too. I think the shop gremlins sometimes want the place to themselves and kick us out!

Thanks Ralph,I've BEEN wanting to build a triangle on top of the drill presses to keep this from happening way to many times.With the triangle nothing will be able to be put on it.

Relax, Kevin..........take a deep breath......everything does not need to be done in one day.....finishing is a real lesson in itself........light coats.....wait............................................not yet, wait longer....................................give things a chance to dry....................................................now that it has been sitting for several hours, you can give it a light sanding and another THIN coat of finish...........................wait......................................wait....................................repeat above steps................................................................wait................................................................wait.........................................there, now it is starting to look nice and even....way to go, Kevin

I think you get the picture...If any one  should understand this, it should be you....You can't hurry the finish part and have good success.........Sorry for your troubles, but take it as a good lesson learned..

Dick

heppnerguy

I think your right .I meant to get the heat gun out but that thought came and went as fast as i thought of it!

Slow and steady win the race.

Marg

So now Marge ,You let the cat out of the bag as to the secret of your profoundly accurate scrolling skills.I'm in a race to go nowhere scrolling .the sooner i get the job done the sooner i can rest my bones a while longer.all of your projects impress me immensely.

OH Kevin.So Sorry to here about your bad day. :sad: I have had that swelling event happen to me.I had to start over. :x But your Amazing Kevin.After a Good nights sleep, a Fresh start you will come back strong. :D

Thanks Bobby,This dragon ,Yeah this dragon has lived up to his name.Dragging me down and putting dire project on hold wasting my time.Soon things with him have to get better as I'm at wits end and have exausted all the reasons why things have gone wrong with him.the law of averages has got to start kicking in soon.