Worn out Blades?

lawson56

About a month ago I was down in my shop just cutting away and my blade broke.No big deal.Just put in another one,But as I pulled it out I just happened to noticed where it broke,close to the bottom of the blade.So I tried something.I put the blade back in adjusted the top clamp,and started cutting,and to my surprise I had a New blade!!.I t lasted several more hours.I now do this with all my blades,when they start cutting slow or burning,I take them out snip off about 1/8,and continue cutting.This may be old news to some.I just thought I would pass it along.Maybe it will help some Beginners.:)

I made the mistake of trying to use laminate flooring for a cutting.  It actually wore the teeth off the blade after a while.  Conundrum, I want to finish it, but I didn't want to burn through a bunch of blades.  I found putting a scrap piece under the piece to be cut, wore a totally different section of the teeth out - still used too many blades to get done but not as many as I might have.

I always kind of wondered how much milage others get from their blades... I do mostly production cutting so to speak.. I stack cut any time I get the chance.. etc etc.. If I cut for a 8 hour day.. I will go through a minimum of 10 - 12 blades.. sometimes more sometimes less.. really depends on the wood i am cutting.. any plywood I cut will eat through blades much faster than solid wood.. 

I have reused a broken blade like you've suggested before.. I also (if close to being done cutting a project ) will adjust the blade in the holders down some to get a few sharper teeth.. But more times than not.. I just put in a new blade.. since the blades really are not super pricey.. and ruining a project for me is more expensive than the cheap replacement of a blade.. I go through a lot of blades per year.. I order in large quantities and several times a year...

Kevin

Years back when I did a lot of sawing I saved my used blades in marked tubes . There were always days to cut patterns for fun or just play around, I  made a top for my saw that fit right on top. Took all of 30 seconds to put it in on and the old used blades are cutting with the top teeth which are new. Not going to work if you need to cut thick wood, but up to 1/2 inch is fine.

On 4/21/2017 at 5:32 AM, JimErn said:

I made the mistake of trying to use laminate flooring for a cutting.  It actually wore the teeth off the blade after a while.  Conundrum, I want to finish it, but I didn't want to burn through a bunch of blades.  I found putting a scrap piece under the piece to be cut, wore a totally different section of the teeth out - still used too many blades to get done but not as many as I might have.

Jim in all the flooring work i've done i noticed the saw spitting sparks out.i don't know if it's sand they put in the fabricated wood or what but it eats up my expencive blade quick.

On 4/21/2017 at 4:18 AM, lawson56 said:

About a month ago I was down in my shop just cutting away and my blade broke.No big deal.Just put in another one,But as I pulled it out I just happened to noticed where it broke,close to the bottom of the blade.So I tried something.I put the blade back in adjusted the top clamp,and started cutting,and to my surprise I had a New blade!!.I t lasted several more hours.I now do this with all my blades,when they start cutting slow or burning,I take them out snip off about 1/8,and continue cutting.This may be old news to some.I just thought I would pass it along.Maybe it will help some Beginners.:)

Bobby this is using your noggin. Very good idea.  :cool:  Thanks

On my DeWalt saw, there are no stops on the blade clamps so you can mount the blade anywhere on the clamp. When using FD UR blades or any brand skip tooth blades I have about 3/8" from top to bottom. I usually mount the blade protruding from the top clamp. As the blade wears, I will lower the blade so it just barely clamping in the top clamp and protruding out of the bottom clamp. It's like doubling the life of the blade.

This won't work for standard reverse tooth blades because when you mount the blade in the lower position, you lose the reverse teeth.