Classroom use of dinosaur puzzles

A year ago in April, I donated about 40 of my kids dinosaur puzzles to the local elementary school.  One of the teachers called a week later asking what other species I could cut.  Reason she asked is that she was going to have a "dinosaur dig" in which her 1st graders would act as paleontologists and dig up "fossils" and my puzzles would be perfect for it.  I was amazed at the idea, I thought it was fabulous.  I gladly made her 4 specific puzzles and a couple of weeks later she had her dig.  I even went and spoke to the class and showed them an actual fossil I owned thanks to a paleontologist friend of mine.

Well, today was Dinosaur Dig 2017, I was invited to attend again and what a fun time it was for me. Oh, and the kids too.  :-) 

Just a real quick overview... This is a 1st grade class with about 25 children. There are 4 tables, each table has a bucket of sand with dinosaur "bones" buried in it. The children have tools that a paleontologist would use at a dig site and they begin to unearth fossils. They then have to clean them off, assemble them and then identify which species they found. Then in their log book they answer questions specific for that species. After they all finish, the bones are re-buried, the kids rotate to a new table and do it again until they've dug up all 4 species and written about them.

I am so thrilled that my silly little puzzles have a practical and educational use. I look forward to supplying more "fossils" for years to come.

Iggy

DPP_3870.JPG

DPP_3877.JPG

DPP_3874.JPG

DPP_3880.JPG

What a great idea.  My daughter is an educator and I am sure she will love the idea.  

I will reluctantly have her look at the blog this weekend as I am sure she will want to do it too.

If I wanted to order the patterns from your web site are they for sale and if so which ones would I ask for.  

Thanks 

Thanks everyone.  It was an absolute blast and I love watching the kids have such a great time.  The teachers idea was absolutely brilliant.  

The dino's are what I started scrolling, making them for my grand-daughter and you could say they're the cornerstone of the Iggy empire now as I broadened my puzzle making to everything you guys see me cutting today.

The patterns for the dino's can be found in this book, I don't have permission to sell those.  Definitely my best investment as I sell quite a few of them at every event.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Wooden-Dinosaur-Toys-Puzzles/dp/1565238907/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1565238907&pd_rd_r=DRN4W6NYMH64G6PSY4CX&pd_rd_w=c5tkE&pd_rd_wg=OzFBj&psc=1&refRID=DRN4W6NYMH64G6PSY4CX

DPP_3864.JPG

Edited by Iguanadon

2 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Thanks everyone.  It was an absolute blast and I love watching the kids have such a great time.  The teachers idea was absolutely brilliant.  

The dino's are what I started scrolling, making them for my grand-daughter and you could say they're the cornerstone of the Iggy empire now as I broadened my puzzle making to everything you guys see me cutting today.

The patterns for the dino's can be found in this book, I don't have permission to sell those.  Definitely my best investment as I sell quite a few of them at every event.

https://www.amazon.com/Making-Wooden-Dinosaur-Toys-Puzzles/dp/1565238907/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1565238907&pd_rd_r=DRN4W6NYMH64G6PSY4CX&pd_rd_w=c5tkE&pd_rd_wg=OzFBj&psc=1&refRID=DRN4W6NYMH64G6PSY4CX

DPP_3864.JPG

That is a lot of patterns for $13.65. 

19 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

DPP_3864.JPG

Never a dull moment when iggys around!