Glue for patterns

johnnyo

28 minutes ago, WayneMahler said:

I use 3M 77 on the back of the pattern then apply it over blue painters tape. 

Thanks for your help.So it should be used on the back of of the wood or does it matter if it's the good side?

Edited by johnnyo

18 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I use full sheet shipping labels..unless it's a large pattern then I use 3M 77

Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend where I can buy full sheet shipping labels?do you copy the patterns onto them? Is 3M77 in a spray can, & can it be purchased in a lumber yard or would I have to get it at a hobby shop?

There are a lot of different ways of doing this. Don't thing there is a right or wrong way. 3m 77 works, so does just about any spray glue. Glue sticks. Even watered down white glue. All methods have pro's and con's. Some glue the pattern to the wood, some to tape, shelf lining, ect. Some go the extra step of clear packing tape over everything. I believe it holds the pattern better and is said to lubricate the blade. Try different ways see what works for you. 

I use the cheapest generic spray glue they sell at walmart. no idea what the brind is.

Spray a super light coat in the back of the paper, super light coat, like 1 second for the whole pattern.

Now wait a few minutes so it is just barely tacky.  Picture a post it note amount of stickiness, thats almost too much but will work.  apply it to the wood.  It will stay on just fine and peel right off when done.

7 hours ago, crupiea said:

I use the cheapest generic spray glue they sell at walmart. no idea what the brind is.

Spray a super light coat in the back of the paper, super light coat, like 1 second for the whole pattern.

Now wait a few minutes so it is just barely tacky.  Picture a post it note amount of stickiness, thats almost too much but will work.  apply it to the wood.  It will stay on just fine and peel right off when done.

Thanks much, will try all suggestions.

23 hours ago, johnnyo said:

Thanks for your reply. Can you recommend where I can buy full sheet shipping labels?do you copy the patterns onto them? Is 3M77 in a spray can, & can it be purchased in a lumber yard or would I have to get it at a hobby shop?

They can be purchased at most any office supply store...however kind of pricey there.. I buy packs of 500 or 1000 from a eBay seller.. while a big chunk of money up front,, way cheaper than small amounts at a office supply store.. 

I also use the shelf liner.. put it down on the wood... print the pattern on the label paper.. peel and stick to the shelf liner that is already been placed into the wood.. I like this method over the spray glues etc as there is a lot of mess around the spray glues from over sprays.. This is simple and clean..

15 hours ago, johnnyo said:

where would I get re-positional glue, and sorry I don't follow about using 2" sellotape on top.

John

Re-positional  glue is strong enough to stay in place and the tape is there to give the blade a lubricant and peels off easier with it stuck on top you can buy it at any craft shop or sometimes at the cheaper shops like poundland etc. Roly