New scroller from TN

Tramsey4

Hi fellow scrollers,

The name is Travis and I'm new to this site after discovering it on Youtube. I've been slowing inching my way into woodworking then I found a new hobby in scrolling. I was given an old Craftsman scroll saw that used 3 inch blades and was able to cut a few rough pieces for a project my wife tasked me with. I decided to buy a new Ryobi 16" scroll saw from Home Depot to be better off in my hobby.

Since I'm very new at this I know some will see my mistakes right off the bat. I welcome all input and advice on how to better my craft. 

Hi Travis and welcome to the Village. As Paul and Denny noted, there are indeed several of us here from TN. Glad to have another join us, especially from the Knoxville area. Look forward to seeing what kind of work you are interested in doing. If you are at all interested in Imtarsia work, one of the greatest Imtarsia artist is found locally here in Seymour, Judy Gale Roberts. You can find her site at Imtarsia.com. She has an open house coming up soon that would be worth checking out if you can. Check her site for dates and times if interested.

Welcome to The Village, Travis. We are all glad that you found us and decided to join up. This site is filled with a lot of talented and friendly people. If you log on here often, it will only take a short time before you feel that you know a lot of us and you will soon also know that you have just made a bunch of new friends that love to help one another. I had a Ryobi scroll saw too, that I used for a couple of years and I surprised myself with all the things I found I could make on that saw. You will find that this saw has several week points and the parts will wear out fairly often. Good news is the replacement parts are cheap and very easy to replace by yourself. I got tired of having to do that so I eventually purchased an upgrade saw. The important thing that will help you the most is buying the correct blades to do your work. The blades you can purchase at the big box stores are NOT the  ones you want to buy. Ask where to get blades if you don't already know and you will find several answers as to where to search and what blades to use. Don't let that confuse you, as everyone has different blades they seem to favor. Try a few different ones. they are not expensive and you will be glad you gave several a try. Good Luck from Arizona

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks everyone for welcoming me into the community. I know for sure I'll be asking many questions mostly about blades in particular. On Monday I ordered the spiral blades by Olson. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQPWW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also did my first word cutout last night. I felt like it went well until I got into the sharp corners and that's why I feel that the spiral blades might help. 

pray.jpg

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:09 AM, Tramsey4 said:

Thanks everyone for welcoming me into the community. I know for sure I'll be asking many questions mostly about blades in particular. On Monday I ordered the spiral blades by Olson. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQPWW4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also did my first word cutout last night. I felt like it went well until I got into the sharp corners and that's why I feel that the spiral blades might help. 

pray.jpg

Welcome Travis.  I'm not from TN, but we visited Gatlinburg on vacation in August and enjoyed our time in your state very much.

As for the spiral blades, I have a suggestion.  Don't feel like you have to spin the piece and make those sharp turn in one motion.  I typically will follow one line into the point of the corner, then back out a little, cut across the waste to the intersecting line and cut it into the corner.  Then I turn the piece and resume cutting the line out of the corner.  It takes a little longer, but you will get nice sharp points that way. 

Spirals are a useful blade and I encourage you to give them a try, but I wouldn't necessarily use them on that particular pattern.

40 minutes ago, Bill WIlson said:

Welcome Travis.  I'm not from TN, but we visited Gatlinburg on vacation in August and enjoyed our time in your state very much.

As for the spiral blades, I have a suggestion.  Don't feel like you have to spin the piece and make those sharp turn in one motion.  I typically will follow one line into the point of the corner, then back out a little, cut across the waste to the intersecting line and cut it into the corner.  Then I turn the piece and resume cutting the line out of the corner.  It takes a little longer, but you will get nice sharp points that way. 

Spirals are a useful blade and I encourage you to give them a try, but I wouldn't necessarily use them on that particular pattern.

Thanks Bill. I only have #5 pin end ryobi blades and the olson spiral blades right now. 

On 9/20/2017 at 7:09 AM, Tramsey4 said:

pray.jpg

Corners were my worst to do in the beginning.Not it's second nature and i don't even think about what to do i just do it.Practice practice practice is the best way.But with tips and tricks from us we'll walk you thru all your problems scrolling .Thanks for finding us!

On 9/20/2017 at 7:09 AM, Tramsey4 said:

pray.jpg

Beautiful work your doing,Like a seasoned scroller!

• 2 weeks later...