Installing blades in the DeWalt

jollyred

When I got my DeWalt scroll saw, I followed the manual's directions on installing the blades.  They called for putting the blade in the bottom clamp first, then into the top clamp.  I had a lot of trouble with getting the blade into the bottom clamp, since I can't see what I am doing.  Also, I have hand tremors, which make it difficult to do anything which requires a steady hand, so I often ended up with the blade in backwards.  Lately I have been putting the blade into the top clamp first, then into the bottom clamp.  Doing this lets me see what I am doing, and holds the blade in the proper orientation for going into the bottom clamp.   By lining up the top of the blade with the top of the blade clamp, it fits very well.  Top feeders are probably doing this already, but not telling anyone how easy it is.  If anyone is having trouble with getting the blades into the clamps, they might try this method.

My hands shake also.  Became a top feeder when I bought my Delta and think that's the only way to go.  When doing a piece that has a bunch of tiny cutouts, when bottom feeding, I would too often insert the blade in a place I had already cut.

Like so many things, top feeding comes automatically to you in a short time. Lift the upper arm with the right hand & insert the blade with your left hand.  While the arm is lowering, slide the wood around until you locate the hole in the table.  Also, when inserting a new blade in the top, raise the arm/blade and bend the blade so that it aligns with the bottom clamp.

jerry

Ever since I got my 788, I have been a confirmed top feeder.  I always load the top hold first and then feed through the cutting and line up on the bottom clamp.

That said, I worked in a photographic darkroom for many years, so hitting the bottom holder without being able to see it is almost second nature.

I'm not a top feeder but always thought the bulls eye thing like Ray has on his new seyco saw would be helpful in knowing where to  location of the hole in the table is... That said.. I am sure one could just draw with a straight edge some lines on their DeWalt or other saws with a Sharpe marker or maybe even a paint marker... sure it will wear off over time.. but those things have a lot of ink in them and new lines could be drawn or refreshed.. Machinist use a dye for metal work sometimes.. that stuff might last a little longer? anyway... just a thought I had for those that might also find it useful to have those lines.. 

Also.. I do insert my "new" blades in the top holder first but after that... I bottom feed, LOL

I'm a bottom feeder, but when installing a new blade, I always clamp it in the top first, then lower the arm to get it lined up with the bottom clamp.  I can look through the slot in the table to see if the blade is in the clamp, don't have to stand on my head to look under the table.  I don't touch the bottom clamp again until it's time to change the blade.

I do just like Bill does!

3 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I'm a bottom feeder, but when installing a new blade, I always clamp it in the top first, then lower the arm to get it lined up with the bottom clamp.  I can look through the slot in the table to see if the blade is in the clamp, don't have to stand on my head to look under the table.  I don't touch the bottom clamp again until it's time to change the blade.

On 9/23/2017 at 2:11 PM, octoolguy said:

Have any of you ever thought of using a small magnet to hold the blade in it's correct position? I have a telescoping shirt pocket magnet that I can put the blade on and use it to hold the blade while I guide it into place. Works great.

Ray

I guess I should edit this post to explain what I mean. The tiny little blades are so difficult, for me anyway, to keep in the correct position to install in the blade holders. I have a terrible time to keep the cutting edge to the front so I take the blade in one hand, find the flat side with the cutting edge to the front and stick it to my pencil magnet. Then it's easy to put it into the clamps. Maybe you folks don't have a problem but I sure did until I discovered this tip on another forum or youtube. I don't recall where.

Ray

5 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

I do the same.

Sam

i ALWAYS CLALMP THE TOP FIRST THEN THE BOTTOM THEN RELEASE THE TOP AND RE CLAMP ITMAKING SURE THE BOTTOM IS UP IN THE TOP DIRECTION  NHTN RE CLAMP. i ALSO HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE BLADE BEING SET IN UPSIDE DOWN SO i HAVE NINES ON A 1/4 PLY AND CUT DOWN THE LINE AND SEE WHICH WAY THE PLY IS GOING TO CHECK THE RIGHT  DIRECTION THE TEATH ARE POINTING  IT'S BAD TO HAVE THE BLADE IN UPSIDE DOWN ON A PRECISION CUT.

ike

On 9/23/2017 at 1:14 PM, jollyred said:

When I got my DeWalt scroll saw, I followed the manual's directions on installing the blades.  They called for putting the blade in the bottom clamp first, then into the top clamp.  I had a lot of trouble with getting the blade into the bottom clamp, since I can't see what I am doing.  Also, I have hand tremors, which make it difficult to do anything which requires a steady hand, so I often ended up with the blade in backwards.  Lately I have been putting the blade into the top clamp first, then into the bottom clamp.  Doing this lets me see what I am doing, and holds the blade in the proper orientation for going into the bottom clamp.   By lining up the top of the blade with the top of the blade clamp, it fits very well.  Top feeders are probably doing this already, but not telling anyone how easy it is.  If anyone is having trouble with getting the blades into the clamps, they might try this method.

Doing the top first has plenty of benefits.