Tested Olsen and Pegas blades.

orangeman

After hearing some folks on this chat board rave about Olsen blades I decided to test the Olsen 7r and the Pegas 7r- modified geometry blade -  which has been my favorite to date.

Tested both blades on a Hawk and Hegner.

I'm sticking with the Pegas blade! 

On both machines the Olsen blade left burn marks whereas the Pegas blade did not.

bb

Them Olsen blades might be counterfeit or cheap knockoffs. Olson makes the good stuff... :)

I'll be using up my supply of Flying Dutchman for the next few years. I bought so many when I first started, I don't think I'll run out of anything except the puzzle blades, and nobody else seems to be making those.

Is the tooth configuration the exact same on both the blades you tried? What's the thickness/width for each?

I cut alot of cherry with Olson blades, & we all know how easy cherry burns. I don't burn it with Olson blades, or FD either. Burning is caused mainly from blade speed. 

You've got my attention, though. I'm curious. I've got the same questions Joe does. Was your blade speed the same with both blades? What type of wood did you test with?

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

After hearing some folks on this chat board rave about Olsen blades I decided to test the Olsen 7r and the Pegas 7r- modified geometry blade -  which has been my favorite to date.

Tested both blades on a Hawk and Hegner.

I'm sticking with the Pegas blade! 

On both machines the Olsen blade left burn marks whereas the Pegas blade did not.

bb

Brian I have tried just about all the blades and Pegas is the best for me.

I cut mostly 1/2 - 3/4"  Cherry.. and I like to cut fast.. I like my saw speed to be fast.. normally run my DW788 if not full speed.. just under full speed.. I do burn sometimes while using the FDUR blades.. Typically use a #3 or 5.. Olsen PG blades don't seem to burn as bad for me but still do at times.. so over the years I've been forced to slow down... that is until I tried the Pegas MG.. blades.. I also find that many times where I normally used a #5 blade.. I can cut with a 3 with a Pegas.. Not always.. but many times I can cut just as fast or faster with a 3 pegas as I can a #5 in other brands.. They last a really long time too..

11 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I cut alot of cherry with Olson blades, & we all know how easy cherry burns. I don't burn it with Olson blades, or FD either. Burning is caused mainly from blade speed. 

You've got my attention, though. I'm curious. I've got the same questions Joe does. Was your blade speed the same with both blades? What type of wood did you test with?

I have no idea as to the blade speed. Both machines were running full speed.

Tested on 3/4" soft maple.

bb

p.s. how do u measure blade speed? Is there a device? I have a device to measure my lathe rpm - do you think it would work on a scroll saw?

Side note... the Pegas blades are thinner so I'm happy using the #5 Pegas whereas I usually use the #3 Olson Mach Speed.  

The #5 Pegas is stronger and I haven't had one snap while using the Hawk, but sometimes I do have the #3 Pegas snap... and when a blade snaps on the Hawk, it'll startle the crap out of ya.

46 minutes ago, Iguanadon said:

Side note... the Pegas blades are thinner so I'm happy using the #5 Pegas whereas I usually use the #3 Olson Mach Speed.  

The #5 Pegas is stronger and I haven't had one snap while using the Hawk, but sometimes I do have the #3 Pegas snap... and when a blade snaps on the Hawk, it'll startle the crap out of ya.

Any blade snap still frightens the crap outta me still to get over that part maybe I never will always makes me jump for some reason glad I am not the only one , I like the modified Pegas Blades as well used to use the olson but have swapped over to pegas not that my 2 pennies worth means much I am still a baby at this :) 

11 hours ago, lawson56 said:

I have never tried The Pegas Blades yet,I do like the Olsen and FD.They have always been good to me.:thumbs:

Buy just one pack to try you will not be disappointed or get someone on here close to you to send you a few to try before you buy :) Nothing better than try before you buy 

Edited by blights69

The only time that i have olsons blades not cutting sreight is when I put them in upside wown. I run mostly at the #5 speed on my d.w. 788 but when cutting puzzles I run on high speed when cutting out the letters. have tried all the different blades except the jshark tooth blades and I prefer olsons then F.D. On woods like Cherry I cut the speed down to prevent burning.

IKE

17 hours ago, Sam777 said:

I have come love the Pegas mod geometry #3 $5. There is NO QUESTION they cut straight. I have around 10-12 doz of the FDURs which I will only use for emergency.

Sam

Sam,

Same here; I have a boatload of FDUR blades gathering dust. The only FD blade I use now is the FD puzzle blade on 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood.

12 years ago I took a class at Woodcraft and the instructor recommended Flying Dutchman blades. So I ordered up some and they worked beautifully when cutting 3/4" puzzles from hardwoods. Used the FD blades for years.

Now here is the kicker! I used the FD blades up until a couple years before Mike M. passed away. Then all of a sudden I could not cut puzzles with them. I called Mike and we had a nice chat. So I sent a couple of blades and a piece of 3/4" soft maple with a puzzle pattern. Several days later Mike called and said he couldn't cut puzzles either. He recommended going to a thinner wood - lol. I maintain that the quality of FD blades have deteriorated over the years.

Now I'm desperate so I do a google search for scroll saw blades. Pegas caught my eye for some reason.

Then I called D&D SawBlades in PA (http://www.dndsawbladesonline.com/ ) and explained my dilemma. He recommended trying the Pegas Modified Geometry blades although he said he had no experience in cutting puzzles. I ordered a dozen to test out and Wowee I have never turned back! Pegas MG blades are my "go-to" blades now. THANK YOU D&D!!!!!!

Except for the FD puzzle blade which I use on 1/4" Baltic Birch plywood,  I now use Pegas Modified Geometry blades #3, 5, 7, and 9 exclusively.

bb

I also feel I have received some FD blades that were not up to par.  Mainly in the 3/0 New Spiral.  That is the only size spiral I like.  Most times I have no problems of getting the "hockey stick" effect at the ends of the blade, other times I get a dozen or so that get it all the time.  I'm convinced it has something to do with the twist in the blade.  I have tried a few of the Pegas spirals and didn't like them as well as the FD's.  However, my favorite straight blade was the FD 2/0 PS blades.  Then I tried the Pegas 2/0, 0, and 1 double tooth blades and am a big fan.  Also tried some of the "modified Geometry" (what does that mean?), and they were too aggressive for the type of scrolling I like to do..  So, "different strokes for different folks".  Guess my advice to people would be don' get in a rut, try different blades, sometimes you get something better for you, sometimes not.

Edited by Scrappile

On 10/5/2017 at 5:55 PM, Scrappile said:

I also feel I have received some FD blades that were not up to par.  Mainly in the 3/0 New Spiral.  That is the only size spiral I like.  Most times I have no problems of getting the "hockey stick" effect at the ends of the blade, other times I get a dozen or so that get it all the time.  I'm convinced it has something to do with the twist in the blade.  I have tried a few of the Pegas spirals and didn't like them as well as the FD's.  However, my favorite straight blade was the FD 2/0 PS blades.  Then I tried the Pegas 2/0, 0, and 1 double tooth blades and am a big fan.  Also tried some of the "modified Geometry" (what does that mean?), and they were too aggressive for the type of scrolling I like to do..  So, "different strokes for different folks".  Guess my advice to people would be don' get in a rut, try different blades, sometimes you get something better for you, sometimes not.

I always heed your advice, Paul.  After all, who cuts better then you?  I know......that is why I listen when you speak

Dick

heppnerguy