Branding the product

Runa

Runa, I use a branding iron on larger objects, but I don't usually have any identifying marks on smaller items. Sometimes I will sign my name on the back of an item, I usually sign with a fine point marker. For the ones I sign this way, I sign between layers of finish. I sign them this way, so that my signature usually stays visable.

Len

i have a branding iron for large projects and still sign it with my signature or initials and date it.  For smaller items, i either sign or put initials and date with a fine point marker before sealing the project.  I recently got a wood burner with pen tips and have used that as well. I need to look into the stamp idea for small items.  For those of you using stamps, could you share a photo to let us "see".   @kmmcrafts  - Kevin, I would think that with the heavy paper tag on the hanger, many people would tear them off and/or they would be torn/lost over time.

careful with the rubber stamp, when used one the side of grain, the ink can and does bleed out along the grain.  A layer of finish first may help.  We got thin plywood discs for kids to make their own ornaments, but the rubber stamps and markers bled out along the grain leaving everything blurry and sloppy looking. 

Been wanting to get a branding unit.  I just do not understand why they are so expensive.  I had one years ago that I made myself.  It worked, but was not as fine or as professional looking as I would like.  ( Several hours grinding with a dremel tool)

I have a branding iron, however is it too big for a lot of things.  Doesn't work good on painted items.  I have "branded" veneer, cut it to size and epoxied it to some painted items.  I have also signed a piece of paper. faxed to my computer and save it.  I can print it on decal paper, attach it to a piece and cover it with finish.  That works pretty well.  But, most often I use a fine sharpie.

3 hours ago, MTCowpoke22 said:

I've made my own branding irons for smaller pieces out of regular baling wire. For those unfamiliar with baling wire, it's just regular mechanics wire you can get at any hardware store. You can turn it into whatever "irons" you need.

Can you show a photo how you did that?

I have a few different ways I "brand" my projects. I have address labels that match my business cards that I put on the back. When using this I still sign and date it.  I have a friend that laser engraves wood "coins" with handmade by and my name on them. If using these I drill a hole in the back or bottom if turning bowls and glue in. Or I have a wood burner with fine writing tips I will sign my work with that. Everything I make except pens and other small turnings have my name on them.