Beginner Books

orangeman

Can't go wrong with Nelson's book.  It's mostly a teaching resource, with the instructions, practice pages and tips that are invaluable to a beginner, but there are also some nice patterns as well.  I wish I had known about this book when I was starting out.

Also, if someone is just looking for some basic pattern books, suitable for beginners and some intermediate level scrollers, Patrick Spielman has a number of books that are very good resources.  Most are more devoted to patterns, but also contain some instruction/tips.

Brian, I've purchased most of the scroll sawing books I've seen over the years, and I still own all of them. What I have found  from reading all of them, is that most of them have the same information on how to saw safely and efficiently. And what the different types of blades were used for what, especially, the books that were directed more to new scrollers. So you could get away with using just about any book directed to new scrollers, and not be wrong. I no longer have any use for the books I own, but shipping them to you would just be to costly. I checked earlier today to see what it would cost to get seven back issues of Woodworking  and Crafts shipped to me . It was going to cost $63.00, that was just a little to rich for my pocketbook.

Len

I wouldn't suggest any books. You tube and Steve good sight are free and better than any book. ( now I'm talking about a how to scroll book. They're are many good intarsia and specific pattern books out there but not a how to use ur scroll saw) not that the books are bad but in my opinion you can't learn how to use a saw from a book. You just have to do it.

I use the book of life and the book of SSV both have served me well so far and the 2nd one is like an interactive book it answers any questions you have :):) But if they do wish to recommend a book I would say the one Ray has suggested but I find beginners books tell you mainly safety issues etc etc which you would of probably mentioned in your workshop session anyways much better to subscribe here me thinks :):) 

On 11/28/2017 at 1:53 PM, orangeman said:

I'll be presenting a workshop on the scroll to interested members of our local woodworkers club.

I want to recommend some books for beginners.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

bb

I started with no knowledge,and used paper stencils for letters i'd cut.I had no idea a computer would do it all for you,after 2 years of wasting my time but having fun the hard way.Everything else i learned here in Scroll Saw Village!

Not all people interested in scroll sawing has access to the web.. so I do think maybe suggesting a book is a good idea...

We have a local company that puts on a woodworking expo.. usually a few demonstrations etc going on... this place also offers classes for different types of woodwork etc.. Anyway.. I have yet met any of these people that actually get online.. I ask about everyone I meet up with if they know about the Village here.. Nope never heard of it.. i don't get online etc.. is what I always hear..

Most of these guys do some awesome work too.. sure are creative since they don't have the inter-webs to grab ideas from.. One guy had some real awesome jigsaw puzzles.. selling them for $10 - 20 each... they are a mix of pyrography and scroll sawn.. You couldn't even tell it was a puzzle until you try to pick up the nice woodburned portrait.. LOL.. many people that did try to pick it up..thought they broke it at first.. was comical to watch.. Doing online searches for woodburned puzzles come up with almost nothing..