Making bracelets

WayneG

Some time ago several posters asked if I could post a how to our tutorial of making bracelets. I will try to start that process as u wait in line for Costco gasoline.... The one I will show you is an end grain bracelet as it has the most steps.

Gather your wood that you want as end grain components. 

IMG_20171031_070038.jpg

Edited by WayneG

Cut into bracelet size pieces, in this case I chose to cover both sides  bracelet with thin pieces of torrified maple for both strength and design purposes, I have made these without and they are fine also. Add lots of glue and spread, then make sure it's aligned nicely and clamp

IMG_20171119_130051.jpg

IMG_20171119_130144.jpg

IMG_20171119_130308.jpg

IMG_20171119_130504.jpg

Edited by WayneG

Thanks folks,

Once the pattern if traced onto the blank cut it out on the scroll saw, go slow if the wood is hard or has many Spieces. If you push it will bend the blade and deform the bracelet.

When you have it cut out the blank looks like so, I then use these blanks to make smaller sizes, same process of tracing... You then have rough cut bracelet. 

IMG_20180217_114536.jpg

IMG_20180217_114546.jpg

Edited by WayneG

You then have a rough &  sometimes burnt bracelet. You can use a machine or detail sander to do some rounding off edges but not surprising the best bracelets come out when you sand by hand to completion. I go with 100,150, 270, 350 & 800 grit usually and it doe not take as long as you may expect. Also if the bracelet does not have outer edges like this end grain one don't put too much pressure when sanding as it may break

IMG_20180218_074921.jpg

IMG_20180218_074935.jpg

Edited by WayneG

Here a some pics of the bracelets I have made learning this process. 44 here about 10 others I have made scattered around some place. Three additional broke in the making process, two broke by wearing and both times as a result of getting caught on the opening of my pant pocket and me pulling my hand out quickly. They are very durable as I have been wearing them daily for about 7 months. The corian white one was a trial, turned out nice, made another and can't find it.

IMG_20180218_081432.jpg

IMG_20180218_081545.jpg

IMG_20180218_081556.jpg

IMG_20180218_081612.jpg

Edited by WayneG

Last pics of this process. The opening is crucial to be sized correctly. In the pic I put a black sharpie dot on my wrist where there is a bump or bone. About an inch above that the arm actual becomes a bit thinner and that is where the bracelet can be put on sideways and then turned. In the other pic you can see the opening on this gorgeous bracelet is larger and too big for me as it slips off to easy. IMO it's easiest to make various sizes, I tried to custom make a few sizes for my son, successfully and another for my neighbour, and I struggled with that task.

IMG_20180218_082716.jpg

IMG_20180218_082536.jpg

Edited by WayneG

Thank you for the nicely done tutorial. I expect that we should be seeing others giving this a try, in the near future. Each one is unique and quite attractive.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Dick                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         heppnerguy