Little Item That May Help Someone

Scrappile

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

I am gluing up a detailed fret piece that has sections the need to be glued together.  I was wondering how I was going to clamp the pieces, I did not have any real small clamps.  Then I thought of something.  Wood clothes pins.  I ground the ends down on my disc sander so they would fit in the small spaces and it has worked great.  Here is a picture of one clamped section.  I stood up one of the "clamps" so you can see how I sanded it.  It only took a few minutes to sand the ends of 10 on the disc sander.  I don't know what my wife will say when she discovers some of her clothes pins are gone.... She rarely uses them anyway.

clothes pin clamps.jpg

Paul, you do some very nice work. I can only hope to ever get that good. So far, I can't seem to make a sharp turn to save my soul.

Ray

Great idea Paul and one I will be using so many times I have wedge this here and weighted that there to try and keep it together while it sets and all the time the answer was hanging on my line looking at me laughing :) The simple answers are always the best and the good thing too is they are free i can see lots right now just do not tell her indoors I will blame the mag pies :)

Edited by blights69

On ‎2018‎-‎04‎-‎21 at 9:13 PM, Rockytime said:

Great idea. I don't think I've seen wood clothespins here forever. Have to shopping.

You can get good ones here: http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=63682&cat=2,42194,67373

I can claim they are good because I have them.  The ones you purchase at a "dollar" store are junk.

34 minutes ago, Frank Pellow said:

You can get good ones here: http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=63682&cat=2,42194,67373

I can claim they are good because I have them.  The ones you purchase at a "dollar" store are junk.

Yes the ones I used, don't know where the wife got them, are junk.  Very soft wood and kept coming apart.  I was able to get the job done with them, but I will get some better ones for the future.