Community Consensus

JimErn

I too have never run into a pattern that I bought that the final piece can not be sold. That does not make sense. You are not reselling the pattern you are selling your work. You have no control of people copying pictures and creating a pattern. Now some pattern makers may put a limit on sellable items but come on be realistic please. This concept of idea copyright thing is and always be one of those topics that can be argued from both sides. You see alot of this in the pen making hobby. People design a pattern and then hundreds of people put out their version.  Barry Gross of scrollsaw fame and now pen turning fame was one who put some sort of pattern on his what he called watch part design and beer cap design blanks and threatened to sue others that made them. They are now made by hundreds of people all over the world. No lawyer could defend his claim. Now the only way he had a claim is if the person used the same parts and did exactly the way he did his which is impossible to begin with so no basis for claim but he still goes arou nd telling everyone he was the first which was proven to be not true. No one gives him credit when they make a watch part pen. 

6 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

One comment.... when you buy a pattern it is many times for private use only.  You can not give out copies to others or sell a product made from the pattern.  Just because you bought the pattern their maybe restrictions on the use.

That had better be stated right on the pattern and should be stated in the description of the pattern before one has purchased it .. I purchase a lot of patterns solely to make thing to sell on my website.. sometimes put my own twist on them.. credit the artist in my online listings.. I see many many scroll sawers tweak another artist design.. and then call it their own... I have never seen a purchased pattern state that you could not sell the finished piece.. BUT... I have seen that on designers work that offer the pattern for free for a select group of people on a certain web site etc etc.. 

I found the following which may be of interest

THE PURCHASER OF A SCROLLER PATTERN (PURCHASER) IS GRANTED THE RIGHT TO HAND MAKE THE COPYRIGHTED PROJECTS ON THE PURCHASED PATTERNS FOR THEIR OWN PERSONAL USE BOTH IN AND AROUND THEIR HOME. THE PURCHASER IS ALSO GRANTED THE RIGHT TO GIVE THE PROJECTS AS GIFTS TO FRIENDS AND FAMILY, TO SELL THE PROJECTS IN SMALL QUANTITIES AT LOCAL CRAFT SHOWS, FLEA MARKETS, GIFT SHOPS, ETC., AND TO SELL THE PROJECTS ON THE INTERNET THROUGH THEIR OWN WEBSITE OR AUCTION WEBSITES SUCH AS EBAY AS LONG AS THE PURCHASER AND/OR IMMEDIATE FAMILY MEMBERS PERSONALLY MAKE ALL THE PROJECTS BY HAND AND THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS ARE MET:

1. 1. ONE OF THE FOLLOWING COPYRIGHT STATEMENTS MUST APPEAR DIRECTLY ON THE BACK OF ALL PROJECTS AND DIRECTLY ON OR ADJACENT TO ALL IMAGES OF OUR PROJECTS. THE STATEMENT MUST BE AT LEAST 12 POINT TEXT FOR PROJECTS, 8 POINT TEXT FOR IMAGES AND BE A CONTRASTING COLOR AND IN A LOCATION AS TO BE READILY READABLE: “DESIGN AND IMAGE COPYRIGHT SCROLLER” OR WHEN SPACE IS LIMITED SIMPLY, “COPYRIGHT SCROLLER.”
  2. 2. ALL PHOTOS AND IMAGES OF THE COPYRIGHTED PROJECTS SHALL HAVE A MAXIMUM SIZE OF 3 INCHES IN THE GREATEST DIMENSION AT A RESOLUTION OF 72 DPI FOR INTERNET USE AND A MAXIMUM SIZE OF 3 INCHES IN THE GREATEST DIMENSION AT A RESOLUTION OF 200 DPI WHEN USED IN PRINT.

35 minutes ago, Sycamore67 said:

I found the following which may be of interest

Assume the way this is worded and the mention of Scroller. that this is Scroller LTD? 

I do not and will not deal with Scroller LTD.. before I read this.. and this just re-enforces my feelings about them.. I won't go into detail why I say this..

5 hours ago, Rolf said:

I quote you JT " I will say again , What does the customer care where you got the pattern from??? "

It is probably more for me when I tell a customer the origin of the original design. Otherwise I feel like I am misrepresenting my work. That is just me.

As I said also it is a feel good thing for you. There is nothing wrong with it and everyone is different. I have never done it and never will. I am representing my work I cut the piece out not the pattern designer. He represented his work when he made the pattern but did not list me as a user or buyer. That customer will have no idea and could care less who made the pattern. They are buying your work.   This as I said is one person's view. Good luck to all who sell their work and continue to support the pattern designers wherever they come from.  

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I suppose I may be a redneck from Alabama, but if I find something on Pinterest or wherever that I'd like to make, for myself, as a gift to a friend, not to sell, I have no problem printing a copy and cutting it. I am currently making my daughter a Harry Potter project from a stencil I found on Pinterest. I can't locate where it originated so I can't ask permission. I have bought lots of patterns and will continue to do so. My conscious isn't pricked over this at all.

I have noticed many times when I have a look on Pinterest that there are many of my projects that I have done over the years. How do they get there?? I am guessing through sites I have visited and shared for people on the forums there such as this one. This data is gathered and placed on that platform. Would have no way in the world to know how many times some of my patterns or ideas have been copied and used for profit. 

It use to be that in a forum members gallery on this site, people could visit look at pictures and pin them to Pinterest.  I think they could do similar to Facebook.  It would even tell you in your galley album how many times a picture had been pinned to Pinterest.  I had several of picture that were pinned that way.  It told with the picture in Pinterest where the picture was pinned from.  I do not see this option anymore since the upgrade.  I always considered it a compliment that some one would want to pin/save a picture I had scrolled.  I do not know if there was the same option in the pattern library.