Community Consensus

JimErn

8 minutes ago, JimErn said:

Curious as to what the consensus is in the community.

Someone posts a project, you like it, so you take a screen shot, play around and make a pattern from it, and cut it.

Good, bad, indifferent?

I would say that if it is obviously copyrighted, you don't copy it, even just for your own use. But if it's not, then go for it and if you know who designed it, give them some credit. JMHO!

Here is the problem, in my opinion, what is law and right in the U.S. is not the same in other countries,  We have members here from many parts the the world.... I have friends in other parts of the world that, send me things that in America, would not be acceptable do to our copy right laws (patterns for one) this happens often.  What to do??? 

If I may add, it must be very difficult to an owner of a forum to police what is posted.  Words use or not in America  are not offensive in other parts of the world......  and visa versa.

Edited by Scrappile

I think that if it is copyrighted then the answer is no.

If it is someone's pattern, I think the right thing is to ask first.  If you are making one for personal use, I would still ask.  If you are making it to sell, then absolutely need to ask.  

Of course, one could just put a copyright symbol on everything you post.  

I don't do that from someones photo... but... I do buy patterns and make my own twist on the design... such as.. This bass fishing clock.. photo below.. It's Sue Meys pattern from the Fishing themed Christmas ornament patterns.. I enlarged the pattern.. took another clock pattern and inserted the enlarged bass ornament pattern in place of what was originally designed .. When I do this.. I still give credit to Sue and the other designer in this case I didn't know the other designer.. but regardless I do give credit and say it was modified by me.. I do this type of stuff all the time... but never from a photo of someone else's work.. at least without asking.. if I really want to cut it.. In fact.. I've asked several designers about combining patterns to make my own twist on them such as described above and all that I've talked to had no problem with it as long as I gave the credit..

il_fullxfull.1444701032_kjlb.jpg

My biggest concern would be the copy right issues. A lot of us live in the States and are bound by those laws. Others in different countries are not so restricted. I personally would purchase the pattern to honor the work of the designer . I have also seen copy righted patterns posted on pintrest that have in book form or a magazine. No idea where the poster was from though.

Sure, ask would be the moral thing to do.

However, whenever I post a pic of of a puzzle I designed, I automatically assume it might be copied. Actually a compliment😉.

I would only be concerned if the copier sold the puzzle online or at craft shows. Now that indeed would be theft of intellectual property for personal gain. If that happened I would be quite entertained by making life miserable for the culprit. The first call would be to my cousin Vinnie. He has experience in breaking kneecaps.

bb

I've had people lift some of my patterns from a photo of my finished project.  It has happened to me on 2 occasions.  I give away a lot of free patterns and information.  I specifically didn't share these pattern because it was based on copyrighted material.  In my mind, lifting a pattern from a finished project is basically the same thing as taking someone else's pattern without permission.  If you really want the pattern, message the person and ask for the pattern if they designed it, or ask where you can buy the pattern yourself.  Otherwise, you can always design the pattern yourself, using the photo as inspiration.  But when designing your own pattern, make it your own and unique.

First off I use alot of Pintrust photos to come up with some of my ideas. They are usually one of a kind thing. I never get asked who pattern it is so I never say. Places like this is where you get asked mostly where can I find that pattern and then you mention how you came about it. I would never steal someones pattern here or other scrolling places unless asked and allowed. I show pieces here and unless asked I do not say. 

If you like what you see in a photo, ask about the source of the design and its availability. If it is a free pattern that is one thing but if it was made from a purchased pattern then BUY it from the designer!!! It really frosts my a__ that people will spend $10 for a pack of cigarettes and $for a bottle of beer and have no scruples about hosing a hard working designer out of a few dollars for their pattern.

Respect our designers and support them, because without them most of us would be floundering.

Sorry this hit a nerve. There are some scrollers that actually brag that they have never bought a pattern.

I've used pictures of art, and actual drawings from several people. I always ask if I could use their work first  Everyone I've asked has had no problem mostly wanting you to give them credit for the original. I always asked if they mind if I put the patterns I made on here, though that is my work it was done from their art, I think it's only the right thing to do.  If you can't get a response I wouldn't use it. I have found a drawing from a lady I found out has passed away. I don't know who else to contact so I won't use it, it was published art.

I love how everyone says they give credit to the designer. WHO are you telling??  You do not say here when photos are posted in bragging section. Unless it is someone asking for the pattern and that like I said basically happens on sites like this. But other than that do you write it on the project, have cards made up and if so who is going to know who these people are. So when you give credit who are you telling?? Just curious. 😁

1 hour ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I love how everyone says they give credit to the designer. WHO are you telling??  You do not say here when photos are posted in bragging section. Unless it is someone asking for the pattern and that like I said basically happens on sites like this. But other than that do you write it on the project, have cards made up and if so who is going to know who these people are. So when you give credit who are you telling?? Just curious. 😁

For me I sell online so I put the name of the designer at the bottom of each ads description. Sometimes I forget to do that.. but for the most part I try to keep it on there... not for my customers.. for the designer. and for other scrollers that run across my listing.. Though most don't read it.. I still get all kinds of other scroll sawers asking me where I got the pattern etc etc..  This also helps me sometimes in locating the file on my computer should I need to make more copies of the pattern.. I used to file my patterns by designer... Now I keep files on the type of pattern it is ie clock, ornament, etc. and I keep a file only that are ones I've cut. and a file of to-do's.. so in looking for a file I've sold out of would be in my cut items folder then sub categorized by what the item is.. ie desk clock, wall clock, ornaments, and etc etc..

Nothing more frustrating than having someone buy a made to order item that I've sold out of and not being able to find the patter, LOL   

I did not used to credit the pattern maker of I piece I put on my Facebook page for sale. But several years ago I read a thread on here that was similar to this one. They come up on a regular basis, and since then, I have always tried to state who the pattern maker is, if I know. I do not steal others work but I can not always remember from whom I downloaded the pattern from. I would hate to loose the pattern makers talents because all of their work was taken for free when it is meant for purchase'

Dick

heppnerguy

I always look at these sort of things through a tattoo artists eye.

You can walk into any tattoo shop and get a star wars or disney tattoo that screams star wars on it. George Lucas nor his lawyers are not going to come to your house and make you remove the tattoo.

Of course if you have a sign proclaiming they are officially licensed Disney items, then they will have an issue with it.  Just be respectful and everyone wins.  

I used to sell Ebay logos on Ebay and they never said a word about it.

I will say again , What does the customer care where you got the pattern from???  Sometimes too much info on a web site is not good. Has no bearing for a buyer. If another scroller wants your pattern then let them contact you or work out the deal. If doing for your own records why not just list on your master list. When a designer sells their pattern and you paid money for it they do not make a list of buyers on their site. If a pattern maker goes to your site they can recognize their own work I hope and if you altered it maybe not. For files I always use numbers. I keep a master list of items with the # and a description of what it is and what woods used. Also the current price and if I made changes in price I make note. This is for me to see only. I know everyone does things differently but I just do not see the need to always list a designer. I have keep checking this point because I am not talking about sites like this where we have great pattern makers and if asked here then you reference them. It is just a quizzical question and I mean no disrespect to what others do. I am guessing this is more or less a feel good thing. I can maybe understand it more if posting in the bragging section and wanting to give credit. Oh well let me have it. I am the bad guy.