First Projects - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

1stProjects.png

Here's a fun scroll saw challenge recommended by @wombatie

Everybody was a beginner at some point.  We all had to start somewhere, right?  So in this scroll saw challenge, post a pic of your first project.  If you don't have a pic available, post one of your earliest ones you've done.  Share with us your thoughts about your progress and how you've grown in your hobby.  Maybe offer a word of encouragement for those new to the hobby.  It'll be fun to see where we all started and remember our scroll sawing genesis.  :)

I'll start off.  This was my first project.  I probably made this around 2007-ish.  This was originally a pumpkin stencil that I put onto wood.  Cut on birch plywood from Lowes.  I don't remember if I used a spiral blade or a flat blade.  But this was my maiden voyage.  I wanted to get into woodworking, but woodworking can be expensive since you need so many tools.  Then I discovered the scroll saw and realized I can do quite a lot with such a simple tool.  And thus began my journey.  ;)

25 minutes ago, jerry1939 said:

This was my first ever scroll saw project, but it needs to be explained.  I have worked with my hands most of my life.  Built 2 motorhomes in my earlier days, as well as various machines and/or improvements.  Took a woodworking class at a trade school & built an oak desk.  Time & patience mean absolutely nothing to me.

The clock was cut with a $69 Performax saw from Menards.  Not visible is the pedestal that made the total height about 6 1/2'.  It was given as a housewarming gift to our son in Des Moines, Iowa.

To you nice people that hesitate to start what looks like a challenging/difficult piece, just remember it is always 1 hole & cut at a time.  It doesn't make any difference if it takes 7 months (as this did), or you start 1 or more projects per day.  The amount of sawdust is the same either way.

jerry

Clock1.JPG

Wiser words have rarely been spoken.

On 7/6/2018 at 7:35 PM, jerry1939 said:

This was my first ever scroll saw project, but it needs to be explained.  I have worked with my hands most of my life.  Built 2 motorhomes in my earlier days, as well as various machines and/or improvements.  Took a woodworking class at a trade school & built an oak desk.  Time & patience mean absolutely nothing to me.

The clock was cut with a $69 Performax saw from Menards.  Not visible is the pedestal that made the total height about 6 1/2'.  It was given as a housewarming gift to our son in Des Moines, Iowa.

To you nice people that hesitate to start what looks like a challenging/difficult piece, just remember it is always 1 hole & cut at a time.  It doesn't make any difference if it takes 7 months (as this did), or you start 1 or more projects per day.  The amount of sawdust is the same either way.

jerry

Clock1.JPG

That is some beautiful work!

This was one of my first projects.  Don’t on cheap plywood.  I did a lot of small projects just to learn how to turn the wood, which never worked out for me.  I didn’t think I was ever going to get it, then I learn to use spirals.  Everything got easier for me.  Then after listening to some of the YouTube shows, I found that I was not alone and others used spirals too.  Then I got a better saw, dewalt, which changed the whole game and really made it easier!!!

332DFC1B-7747-4590-88C8-EF5E3E379B42.jpeg

OK - I got really excited the more I kept making things with my original scroll saw. I got a kick out of some small items that someone made - he had challenged himself to make one-a-day for a whole year, and most were fun. I made some, then had the sense to ask him if he cared if I sold them at craft fairs. To my surprise, being new to all this "copyright" idea, he answered emphatically that I should NOT sell them; that he thought of each design as copyrighted. So, I haven't made anymore, and I haven't sold any either. Right now most are mounted outside on my arbor. The attached Word document shows only four items. But about the fourth picture - I made that, gave it one of my daughters, who gave it to a friend, who has traveled about the world and taken pictures of himself holding the piece at various locations worldwide. He sent the pictures to my daughter who in turn shared them with me. So, that's my story!!

Vin

Early Scroll Saw Items.doc