Drill Bits

Rockytime

Hello Rocky! I get my drill bits from harbor freight. The pkg has several sizes in it, I get 3 or 4 pkgs at a time, as we don't get to the city much. I believe the last ones I bought were about $7 a pkg. I think the sizes start at 1/8" & go down to a #60 or thereabouts. It's been awhile since I've been to the the shop. I'll check into it tomorrow and email you the sizes and the pkg number, my friend. I have had excellent luck with these bits! They are sharp, and stay sharp a long time. And as you know, I don't use anything but hardwood. They cut straight, no wobbles, the smaller ones break easy of course, but there are several of that size in the pkg. 

Edited by SCROLLSAW703

3 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

Hello Rocky! I get y drill bits from harbor freight. The pkg I get has several sizes in it, I get 3 or 4 at a time, as we don't get to the city much. But, I believe the last ones I bought were about $7 a pkg. I think the sizes start at 1/8" & go down to a #58 or thereabouts. It's been awhile since I've been to the the shop. I'll check into it tomorrow and email you the sizes and the pkg number, my friend. I have excellent luck with these bits! They are sharp, and stay sharp a long time. And as you know, I don't use anything but hardwood. They cut straight, no wobbles, the smaller ones break easy of course, but there are several of that size in the pkg. 

I have a HF near me and go there lots of times. I'm supposed to walk so might as well walk the isles there. I have three of their number sets #1 to #60 but have never seen individual number sizes. I'll check there this week. I use HF drill bits all the time. Especially on my lathes and mill. Never had a problem. Thanks Brad.

Interesting, I like the bits from Harbor Freight.. but I've only seen the smallest as being 1/16 and comes in a package of 7 ( I think ).. Anyway.. I'm going to look next time I'm there.. but never seen the numbered bits... 

The link is the 1/16" that I had been using for quite a long time..can't wait to go see if they have these smaller ones.. My smallest one I use ( can't remember but I think it's number 58 or 60?  I know that a FD-UR #5 just fits the hole.. but a Pegas MG #5 will not fit.. so I use the FD blades for my small cutouts.. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/116-in-titanium-high-speed-steel-drill-bit-set-7-pc-61549.html

Edited by kmmcrafts

I will get over to the shop in the morning and get the number off of the pkg and the bit sizes in the pkg and post them KM. There are several sizes in the pkg. I don't use the bigger ones much, it's the small bits i use the most of. That's the reason I buy so many pkg's at a time. That way I have the bits on hand. 

Check out Otto Frei .com. I bought blades and drill bits from them after taking a class on marquetry. The instructor said he had researched many sources and found them to be the best for what he was doing. I bought 2/0 blades and #68 drill bits. They are primarily a jeweler's supplier. Lot's of neat stuff there.

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Check out Otto Frei .com. I bought blades and drill bits from them after taking a class on marquetry. The instructor said he had researched many sources and found them to be the best for what he was doing. I bought 2/0 blades and #68 drill bits. They are primarily a jeweler's supplier. Lot's of neat stuff there.

I wish you would show some of your marquetry.  Something I would like learn,,, I think.

5 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

I wish you would show some of your marquetry.  Something I would like learn,,, I think.

Paul, I would if I had something to show. I took one class. I came away with the simple piece that we all learned to do. Since then, I have strayed to many other areas of scrolling. I do have a project that will involve what I learned with inlay. It's really quite easy to learn. Especially if you invest in the book that I have posted on here. "The Art of Marquetry" by Craig Vandall Stevens. I got it from Amazon. After reading the book, I realized that the instructor basically taught us the book. His class was great though. Here's a pic of what we did that afternoon. It's all done with veneer that's about .060 thick.

DSC_0454.JPG

Edited by octoolguy

Simple(?) but so beautiful...  I think I have that book, I just have a  very difficult time getting through "how to" books.   I am more of "show me" person and no one in my area does it...  Oh well, I also have a on going desire to do wood carving,,, the characters that people carve.. and absolutely no talent for it.  

18 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Simple(?) but so beautiful...  I think I have that book, I just have a  very difficult time getting through "how to" books.   I am more of "show me" person and no one in my area does it...  Oh well, I also have a on going desire to do wood carving,,, the characters that people carve.. and absolutely no talent for it.  

Paul, I got into carving while we were out on the road. It was the only hobby that didn't require a lot of space or weight. We were parked in Lady Bird Johnson Municipal Park in Fredricksburg, Tx. and the Texas State Woodcarvers Guild were there on there annual campout. The park was right next to an airfield and just beyond that was the fairgrounds. After chatting with some of the carvers, they invited me to attend their seminar at the fairgrounds and take advantage of the sellers who were there. I bought a starter carving knife, a small set of mini knives, a book and a couple pieces of bass wood. One of the carvers handed me a cowboy boot that he had carved along with a "cut out" of a boot that was the basic shape. He told me the finished one was the "looks like" and I should finish the cutout to look like it. So, that was my first carving. I have since done a few others. I have started many, finished few. But, I have nice set of knives now, along with a knowledge of how to sharpen them and all the stuff that I need. It's like any other hobby. Half the fun is in acquiring the "stuff" to do it with. Anyway, what I'm trying to get said is, basic carving is not that hard. The hard part is getting beyond that point and like scrolling, it just takes practice. I'm no artist. I have no eye or imagination. BUT, I can copy anything. So, give it a try. I think you'll find it fun and it's a thing that can be done while sitting in front of the tube. My wife even gave me permission to do it as long as I clean up after myself. She did set down her foot to me bringing my scroll saw into the house though. DARN!

Oh, and getting back to the original subject, if you take the time to just do the first project in that book on marquetry, you'll have all the basics you need. Then it just becomes the part of finding the right colors of wood, the grain direction, etc. It is fun. This whole hobby is fun.

Edited by octoolguy