Scrollnado Dust Collection for DeWalt

Iguanadon

While browsing on Amazon the Scrollnado popped up on my screen and I looked at it and figured, why not and purchased it.  I installed it today and aside from the fact that the instructions leave a lot to be desired, once I figured it out and hooked it up, I must say it does a fine job of capturing almost all the dust, from underneath and on top.

I have it hooked up to my Dust Deputy and then to my Shop Vac.

Anyone else using it?

https://www.amazon.com/SCROLLNADO-collection-scroll-Dewalt-40-690/dp/B01KCNI77C

Edited by Iguanadon

I was always wanting to build a copy of one of those.. My issue is.. I never seem to find the time or want to spend that time actually tinkering around to make it.. I probably should just buy the darn thing, LOL... That said though.. I think I've only used my DeWalt one time this year and i didn't even do a complete cut on it then moved to a different saw, LOL

I will say that I hooked up my shop vac to my Excalibur dust port thing below the table.. and Yeah.. it keeps the dust WAY down..  I'm glad to hear from someone that has it..  Seyco sells a dust extractor thing that an hang right on the saw.. is small and quiet.. I keep thinking about that thing as opposed to a shop vac.. and I've also thought about those expensive Festool dust extractors.. My shop vac works great.. just too noisy for my taste.. I talked with the Rep and they demonstrated the Festool last month for me... awesome machine but wow is it pricey.. 

I guess I'm just a cheapskate. I looked at it and thought $50 for that? So, I made my own with some PVC and a few other pieces. My system works great. I'm going to make something similar for my EX. I guess it is just me but I can't spend money on something that I can make myself. That and the fact that now, I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every dollar.

2 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I guess I'm just a cheapskate. I looked at it and thought $50 for that? So, I made my own with some PVC and a few other pieces. My system works great. I'm going to make something similar for my EX. I guess it is just me but I can't spend money on something that I can make myself. That and the fact that now, I'm on a fixed income and have to watch every dollar.

Perfectly understandable.  And for me it's a matter of I simply don't have the time (nor the patience) to try to make something from scratch figuring out what to use, buy the parts, tinker with it, etc.  Once I finally hit retirement I'd absolutely enjoy doing a project like this.

4 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

While I agree with you 100%.. I also know that time is money to some people and you can spend $10-15 on tubing and an hour trying to figure out your set-up etc.. Not sure what some of you all charge or make per hour at your job.. but for me an hours time is that $50... so then you ask yourself.. do i play around and try to make something... or do i just pend $50 and be done with it...

I was at a show in Ohio a year ago and brought one for my EX. Got it for $20. As said the instructions were leak. But it does a good job. One problem is I am a top feeder an I had to make the bottom hole larger to be able to hit the hole.  While cutting compound pattern I had to move the top tube so it would clear the blank. 

My first impression was ... a bit pricey for a tube. But I understand if you wouldn’t want to make one and rather spend ur time scrolling. What I don’t get is all you guys that use dust collection when scrolling. How do u run a shop vac that long ? and how do you put up with the noise? I use dust collection on my other tools but it only run for a few minutes at a time. I would think you must burn up a shop vac pretty quick.

Several people have posted their home made systems on the forum that work really well.  One advantage that the home made systems have is they have larger tubes with greater airflow.  I have included a picture of mine.  

However, this is a good solution if you do not have time to build your own.  I think it is a better solution than using a fan to blow the dust away.

2013_02_05_Scroll_Dust3FM (Small).JPG

Edited by Sycamore67

I got the Excalibur version of that thing at a wood working show, along with the Drill-nado. Show price for both was about $65.

After a few modifications, the scroll-nado works OK. I wouldn't recommend paying the Amazon price, though. I priced the materials at Lowes & HD ans it came out to around $30.

Forget about the Drill-nado. Not worth it. It does suck the chips really well, but the other issues make it not worth the while.

I posted a review of these gadgets on the SSWC forum. I can repost it here if anyone wants.

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

While I agree with you 100%.. I also know that time is money to some people and you can spend $10-15 on tubing and an hour trying to figure out your set-up etc.. Not sure what some of you all charge or make per hour at your job.. but for me an hours time is that $50... so then you ask yourself.. do i play around and try to make something... or do i just pend $50 and be done with it...

If I  was still working for wages, I'd have to agree but since I'm not, well like I said above. Every dollar helps. 

1 hour ago, Brianr24 said:

My first impression was ... a bit pricey for a tube. But I understand if you wouldn’t want to make one and rather spend ur time scrolling. What I don’t get is all you guys that use dust collection when scrolling. How do u run a shop vac that long ? and how do you put up with the noise? I use dust collection on my other tools but it only run for a few minutes at a time. I would think you must burn up a shop vac pretty quick.

If you can find a used Fein or Porter Cable vac that has the power tool trigger, it only runs when I'm cutting and it's very quiet. Granted, it's still noise but I like it better than having a fan blowing the dust around. I hate wearing a dust mask but sometimes, if I think about it, I'll still wear one. I have a box fan and furnace filter to the right of my Dewalt. It works fairly well.

1 hour ago, Brianr24 said:

I have my shop vac plugged into the same foot switch as the saw.  Saw on shop vac on. Been running this away for 2 years. The vac is under the work bench enclosed for sound. 

2 hours ago, Brianr24 said:

As mentioned by another, my shop vac is plugged into my foot switch so it's on and off with my saw.  I need to enclose it in something to deaden the sound as it is a bit annoying.

Wow that is alot of wear on a vac if you have on foot switch with saw. I know myself I do a ton of pierce cutting and that thing would be on and off way too much. The Fein vac is very quiet but pricey. I do not use a vac but use a dust mask and have a air cleaner going to suck small particles out of the air. My larger tools I have a dust collector hooked to each tool. I do all my sanding outdoors so that is not a problem but if I have to, I do have a downdraft table I can sand on hooked to dust collector. After each session I shop vac all small pieces and any dust around saw so I am ready for next day. Leave the air cleaner on for about an hour after I am done and shut off later. I have been meaning to put a timer on that thing but like everyone time is not easy to find even when retired. Shop vacs are extremely noisy. Mine the bearing is going on it and it whines even louder. That thing owes me nothing. It is an old Sears model from many years ago. Have the air blower hose blowing dust away from me and any dust that is under saw who cares. I vac that at end of day. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

58 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

I just use the cheap HF dust collector and have it mounted outside the wall of my shop. Two inch diameter tube sucks everything including small chips. Sometime I shall divert some of the suction to the top of the saw. But not today.

Is this the bigger roll around dust collector machine? or the smaller ones? I have the bigger roll around style that I have hooked to the planer and bandsaw... amazing how much sawdust comes from the bandsaw when resawing LOL.. Anyway I ask because I've read how these like I have are great for sawdust but not the real fine stuff.. so just wondering what you have and your experience with how well it does.. I keep thinking about piping it to my saw and seeing with my own eyes how well it does.. seems like if it had enough to suck those bigger chips from the planner it's work good with the fine dust.. That'd save a lot of money from buying the Festool.. other than I want to use the Festool for my sanders too.. LOL.. but until I get the extra funds.. I could use the HF machine.. if it works good. 

16 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Is this the bigger roll around dust collector machine? or the smaller ones? I have the bigger roll around style that I have hooked to the planer and bandsaw... amazing how much sawdust comes from the bandsaw when resawing LOL.. Anyway I ask because I've read how these like I have are great for sawdust but not the real fine stuff.. so just wondering what you have and your experience with how well it does.. I keep thinking about piping it to my saw and seeing with my own eyes how well it does.. seems like if it had enough to suck those bigger chips from the planner it's work good with the fine dust.. That'd save a lot of money from buying the Festool.. other than I want to use the Festool for my sanders too.. LOL.. but until I get the extra funds.. I could use the HF machine.. if it works good. 

Kevin, it's all about the piping and the size of pipes to each machine. There is a whole thing in the engineering of the system in order to get what you want/need at each machine. I had one of the cheaper vacs. It was a one horse/110 unit. I dedicated it to my Unisaw back in the day. It did a great job. I bought a fine filter bag for it that did a much better job of filtering the dust out. Anyway, if you take the 4" hose that usually hooks to these units and pipe it down to what you need at each machine it works great. I have the Fein that I bought used and have it necked down to 1" pvc at my Dewalt. I bought the flex line stuff that has a funnel shaped nozzle. Both above and below the table. It works great. The next one I build for the EX is going to be 1 1/2 pvc and I'll try necking it to 1"  and see what happens. There is a ton of suction at the nozzles and that is where most of the noise comes from. I don't even hear the Fein in the back ground.

20171215_153232.jpg

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Kevin, I have the small one. I use 4" PVC to bring it into my shop and use a gate with a 2" reducer and a 2" flex hose to the saw. At first I made a reducer to a 1" flex hose which dramatically reduced the suction. Therefore I went back to the 2" hose. If I set it up for dust collection at the top also I will use a splitter and use two 1" flex hoses. I won't reduce the air flow more than 2" total. Yes the DC does pick up smaller pieces that drop down around the blade. There is excellent suction there.

13 minutes ago, Rockytime said:

Kevin, I have the small one. I use 4" PVC to bring it into my shop and use a gate with a 2" reducer and a 2" flex hose to the saw. At first I made a reducer to a 1" flex hose which dramatically reduced the suction. Therefore I went back to the 2" hose. If I set it up for dust collection at the top also I will use a splitter and use two 1" flex hoses. I won't reduce the air flow more than 2" total. Yes the DC does pick up smaller pieces that drop down around the blade. There is excellent suction there.

Thank you.. I may have to mess around and see if i can hook up mine and see how it goes..