bench Cookie

JimErn

Steve Good in his latest email has a link for bench cookies.

https://www.amazon.com/Bench-Cookie®-Plus-Work-Grippers/dp/B006N789W0/ref=pd_bxgy_60_2/132-9685102-9942748?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B006N789W0&pd_rd_r=7ad93416-350e-11e9-8eed-ede60a98848e&pd_rd_w=5wjzB&pd_rd_wg=9cjCt&pf_rd_p=6725dbd6-9917-451d-beba-16af7874e407&pf_rd_r=4H8VR9607QXRC1R04HBA&psc=1&refRID=4H8VR9607QXRC1R04HBA

Anyone use them with scroll work?

Edit - One of the pic of these things show a board sitting on them and a full size router (not a trim router) being used.  I find it hard to believe that would work, anyone done that with these things?

Edited by JimErn

I have not used them but based on my experience with these Kreg bench dogs https://www.kregtool.com/store/c34/clamping-accessories/p73/bench-dogs/?source=1781  I set my large sanding projects on these and my project never moves.

I would think that the cookies would work very well. Both surfaces need to be clean and dust free so that they don't slide around.

When routing I am still more comfortable with a clamp. 

They probably aren't bad with a cold glass of milk either😯

Edited by Rolf

I have some similar ( Craftsman ) but triangle shape.. They work pretty well for sanding etc.. but to be honest I only usually use them to spray my pieces with polyurethane or ?? so with the build up on them they aren't nearly as good as they once was.. That said... That was my sole purpose for buying them in the first place so they do what I want them to.. 

For sanding.. I buy anti slip drawer liner? from the dollar store which holds the piece very well while sanding with my Bosh random orbit sander.. The stuff comes in a roll and is about 12" wide.. not sure how long but I fold it up a couple times and as the spot wears I move the folds to a better spot. Link below is similar to what I'm talking about.. 

https://www.dollargeneral.com/magic-cover-non-slip-grip-shelf-liner-natural.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=1o2&scid=scplp01155401&sc_intid=01155401&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=PRODUCT_GROUP&utm_campaign=Mid_DGE_Shopping+-+SC_General&01155401&gclsrc=aw.ds&   

This is what I have.. they probably work about as good as those round ones before they got a few shots of over spray on them.. they used to be quite grippe when they was new..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Work-Bench-Cookies-Puck-Non-Slip-Tri-grip-Hold-Down-Grip-Pad-Mat-Router-Sander/122101089137?hash=item1c6dcac371:g:lAsAAOSwHoFXv8sg 

1 hour ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

The only time I use so called bench cookies is for finishing and for those I made a couple scrap pieces of wood about 5" X 5" and ran some screws through the bottom. Now the piece sits up on the points of the screw. Work very well. 

I used scrap to make mine about 2 x 3, covered them with rubber on both faces, and use the head side of wood pushpins to set parts on when finishing. No digging into the surface that way. Just stick the pushpin into the scrap block. Works for me. My 2 cents.

The bench cookies were designed to hold boards and raise them off the bench top, for operations like routing and drilling, etc.  I don't own any, but from everything I've heard or read, they do work as advertised.  It's up to the individual whether or not they are worth the price, as like with most things, there are multiple ways to accomplish the same thing for little to no money.

I do have a couple of the shelf liner/sanding mats.  They work well for sanding, but have lost most of their grip from wear and dust so I don't necessarily count on them to hold the wood firmly, if I'm routing.  Larger panels are OK, but I don't trust it to hold small pieces.

I made my own set of "painter's pyramids" by cutting a point on the end of a 2x2, then cutting it to a couple inches long.  I have a couple dozen of them.  They work great and were virtually free.  They don't mar the surface.  If they get too much overspray on them, I can just pitch them and make more, but I've used them for several years and haven't had to toss any yet.