My Try At Dicks Clock Tower.

rdatelle

Heck of a job of cutting!!!  Have that pattern and have been meaning to do it for the past two years. But what has stopped me is what your quandary is now. How do I finish??? Not really a fan of bare Baltic birch. Did a similar one a few years back and ended up painting in two colors before assembly. Probably will bite the bullet and spend a fortune in cherry or mahogany thin cut lumber since I don't have a band saw to cut my own. But again, you have met the challenge.

Blake

2 hours ago, ScollSaw Slasher said:

Heck of a job of cutting!!!  Have that pattern and have been meaning to do it for the past two years. But what has stopped me is what your quandary is now. How do I finish??? Not really a fan of bare Baltic birch. Did a similar one a few years back and ended up painting in two colors before assembly. Probably will bite the bullet and spend a fortune in cherry or mahogany thin cut lumber since I don't have a band saw to cut my own. But again, you have met the challenge.

Blake

Blake, you can do it. I bet it would great in cherry or mahogany. You could finish each piece before you put it together. Dick told me that he used spray shellac before putting his together.Go for it. 

Wonderful piece of art, Ralph.  Dick is a great coach for sure.   He always has so much enthusiasm.  You did a beautiful job on it.  I also have that pattern, have had it about 4 years or more.  Maybe this year.....

🤔Let's see, we now have "Dick's font" and "Dick's clock".  Hope he doesn't get the big head and not speaking to little old me anymore.😒

Edited by Scrappile

4 hours ago, Gonzo said:

That is one cool looking clock. Where are the plans from?  And is it 1/4" material?

I got the plans from Dick (Hepenguy). But if you google clock tower you can fine the plans for free. It's made out of 1/4 and 1/8 BB.. if you check his page he put a link to the plans to.

Well, the credit does not belong to me. I did help him to understand a few things that were a little confusing with the pattern, but Ralph did all the great work. I am so proud of him as many have the pattern, which has been on the market for years, and hesitate to give it a go. That is really understandable to me, as I too have a lot of patterns that I really want to cut but have not yet gotten around to doing them.  I was glad that I was able to encourage Ralph and give him a few tips along the way, but once he got underway, I knew  there was no turning back. It is the patterns with a lot of fret work that looks almost impossible to cut, but it also those patterns that make non scrollers wonder how it is possible to even do it at all. Once someone pushes their envelope and spends the time to cut a pattern like this clock, they come out learning they can cut about anything out there, that they see.  It also makes it possible to have the feeling of success that they didn't realize they had the ability to do. My hat it off to Ralph for finishing this project in such a short time and doing it well.  CONGRATULATIONS FOR A JOB VERY WELL DONE

Dick

heppnerguy

10 hours ago, heppnerguy said:

Well, the credit does not belong to me. I did help him to understand a few things that were a little confusing with the pattern, but Ralph did all the great work. I am so proud of him as many have the pattern, which has been on the market for years, and hesitate to give it a go. That is really understandable to me, as I too have a lot of patterns that I really want to cut but have not yet gotten around to doing them.  I was glad that I was able to encourage Ralph and give him a few tips along the way, but once he got underway, I knew  there was no turning back. It is the patterns with a lot of fret work that looks almost impossible to cut, but it also those patterns that make non scrollers wonder how it is possible to even do it at all. Once someone pushes their envelope and spends the time to cut a pattern like this clock, they come out learning they can cut about anything out there, that they see.  It also makes it possible to have the feeling of success that they didn't realize they had the ability to do. My hat it off to Ralph for finishing this project in such a short time and doing it well.  CONGRATULATIONS FOR A JOB VERY WELL DONE

Dick

heppnerguy

Thanks Dick, I really owe it all to you.