Took The Plunge.. New Toys On The Way

kmmcrafts

Just ordered the plunge router for a Dremel.. and bought the WEN knock-off rotary tool and the mini drill chuck.. I've been wanting this set up for a long time now.. My drill press is getting pretty worn.. Probably going to have to replace it this year sometime.. but meanwhile I'm hoping to just use this for the small entry holes to take some of the wear off my drill press.. Total cost for all was just shy of $60.. 

7 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

My opinion a Delta table top drill press would be a better way to go. 

This is what I have now... but it's getting an awful lot of slop in the quill and I believe it also has a bad bearing.. as it's getting quite noisy too.. I'll probably take it apart and try to see if I can repair it.. but first I want a back-up one.. will keep my eye out for another one on craigslist etc..  

50 minutes ago, NC Scroller said:

I used a similar setup for years until I found a radial arm drill press on CL.  If you have the space that is the best solution especially for someone who does production work like you.

I've seen a few of those and wondered how they might work for this line of stuff.. I may have to look into it more..

Sounds like a nice solution. The tiny drills I use for my fretwork like to spin at high speed I don't like running my drill press that fast and constantly changing the belt positions. So when I realized I was in this hobby for the long run I bought  a small dedicated drill press from Micromark. The price for these have gone up significantly from when I bought mine. 

If I was in the market for a new drill press I would probably go nuts and buy this one. https://www.woodcraft.com/products/dvr-voyager-18-drill-press 

I love the technology and since I have a Nova DVR lathe am impressed with the how smooth and powerful the direct drive system is.

Lucky for me my drill press is fine.😁

Edited by Rolf

3 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

This is what I have now... but it's getting an awful lot of slop in the quill and I believe it also has a bad bearing.. as it's getting quite noisy too.. I'll probably take it apart and try to see if I can repair it.. but first I want a back-up one.. will keep my eye out for another one on craigslist etc..  

I have that setup and just about every option Dremel offers and use them on occasion for special jobs but they are not smooth and get to be a pain in the butt to drill with. Nothing like a good drill press. A drill press would be a better investment than a laser. 😀

I do most of my holes with a dremel and dremel drill press. Works great, but on larger projects there are spaces it won't reach. Then I just use my trusty eyes to (hopefully) drill straight down by hand. I've been wanting a larger drill press for a long time and now that I have one, I honestly don't thing I will ever use it to drill pilot holes.

2 hours ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I have that setup and just about every option Dremel offers and use them on occasion for special jobs but they are not smooth and get to be a pain in the butt to drill with. Nothing like a good drill press. A drill press would be a better investment than a laser. 😀

Actually you just reminded me.. I gotta set up my laser.. Who needs a drill press when you can just burn the holes with the laser 😂

6 hours ago, Rob said:

What about the Seyco scrollers drill?

Not available here and wrong voltage too but looks pretty good?

Rob

That's what I was going to buy late fall early winter last year.. they've been out of stock for ever.. and the price is about double the price of what this Dremel set up is costing me.. 

Received the WEN and the plunge router attachment this morning.. mounted the WEN into the router and everything seems to work like it should.. just gotta wait for the mini drill chuck so I can use it.. Just playing around with it.. I think this is going to be an awesome setup.. I'm sure it'll take some time to get used to lining up the drill bit to the lines.. I'll do drilling on bigger fret cutouts until I get used to lining up etc for the small veining cuts etc..