Summertime Fun - Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

Challenges.png

It's starting to feel like summer!  So this month's challenge is Summertime Fun!  Post a project that screams summertime!  What does summer mean to you?  Does it mean backyard grilling and picnics?  Splashing around at the local swimming hole?  Trip to the beach, or some camping in the mountains?  Grandkids coming for a visit?  Or maybe you're going to hit the road for a nice vacation.  Post your summertime scroll saw projects and tell us a little bit about your project and why you made it.  I love the stories behind the project.  :)

11 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

This seems to be what summertime is about here in Michigan.. I almost hate to leave the house in the summer... 😂 ... Funny too because everyone complains about the roads.. then they also complain about the traffic back-ups due to the road work..

il_fullxfull.1492845045_46p0.jpg

It's very much the same in Ontario and, in particular, in Northern Ontario with its short frost-free season.

7 hours ago, scrollerpete said:

I was asked from my golf course which I have been a member since inauguration to make a golf balls display for the members that passed away since the course opening. They take a golf ball and have their name printed on the ball and the death date. I made one before but we had more players that died that we had room on the display, so instead of adding to the previous I made a new one.

C7936E71-EC59-4C99-B83F-ECEE4AB0B0B0.jpeg

That is a terrific gesture and tribute.

Marg

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/5/2019 at 5:24 AM, scrollerpete said:

I was asked from my golf course which I have been a member since inauguration to make a golf balls display for the members that passed away since the course opening. They take a golf ball and have their name printed on the ball and the death date. I made one before but we had more players that died that we had room on the display, so instead of adding to the previous I made a new one.

C7936E71-EC59-4C99-B83F-ECEE4AB0B0B0.jpeg

That is a great display Pete

On 7/6/2019 at 2:16 AM, MrsN said:

My niece is coming to spend a week later on July. I am preparing by getting a few things cut that we will paint. She requested unicorns.

We will do some cutting together while she is here, but it will be some simpler pieces 

20190702_202822.jpg

20190702_215240.jpg

I'm sure the Niece will brighten these up in no time at all.

On 7/9/2019 at 10:03 AM, RabidAlien said:

Just got back from a long 4th of July weekend road-trip....drove from Austin Tx to Pensacola Fl, turned out to be around 11 hours going, 13 returning (hit an interstate shutdown in Lake Charles, LA, that had I-10 completely closed and all traffic routed to the I-610 bypass....took us 30 minutes to go 3/4 mile before we could exit and take back roads...through questionable parts of town...you know you're in the wrong area when the church has bars on the windows).  Oceans/beaches aren't really my thing, so I probably won't do any beach-themed pieces (gimme mountains, forests...places you can go from hotel to car without dropping two pounds of water weight from the humidity...I sweated like a politician in a church with bars on the windows).  For me...summer is outdoor fun, and one of my fondest memories of summer camp as a kid was trying to get the hang of archery.  Now that I've discovered there's such a thing as "cross-eye dominance", where I'm right-handed but my dominant/strong eye is the left one, I'm a faaaaar better shot than I was as a kid.  Our daughter is enjoying archery as well (its quieter than the gun range, for one).  So we're spending a lot more time at the archery range nowadays.  And summertime means we're not stuck waiting for time on the line at the indoor range, there's an outdoor range nearby as well.  I may even break out the homemade blowguns again....

1x10 scrap of whiteboard, cut with a Pegas #5 blade.  Had a bit of a goof with the bowstring, I cut the inside pieces, then did the outside and my tracking was a bit off towards the left side.  Got a bit closer than I'd've liked to the inner wall, which resulted in a kink/slight crack.  I'll shore it up with some wood glue.

20190708_181411.thumb.jpg.b681178c94304f55ba1d2eb7da0638d0.jpg20190708_181359.thumb.jpg.ea596d152748193d6cab883d7965218b.jpg

I used to do quite a bit of archery. <Loved it, but every now and again you just have to make a big noise :)

As for summer, I haven't given it a thought yet.  :)

On 7/4/2019 at 10:42 AM, kmmcrafts said:

This seems to be what summertime is about here in Michigan.. I almost hate to leave the house in the summer... 😂 ... Funny too because everyone complains about the roads.. then they also complain about the traffic back-ups due to the road work..

il_fullxfull.1492845045_46p0.jpg

It's all year around here Kevin.
They just don't seem to be able to build a road that lasts more than a year or 2. Frustrating when they have a stop and go man on a 200km stretch with nothing either side and you have to wait for 20 minutes to go then go 40kph for the next 10 ks. But I suppose it's better than a wagon on a track.

54 minutes ago, John B said:

That is a great display Pete

I'm sure the Niece will brighten these up in no time at all.

I used to do quite a bit of archery. <Loved it, but every now and again you just have to make a big noise :)

As for summer, I haven't given it a thought yet.  :)

BigNoise is fun, too, but with archery you can (usually) retrieve and reuse the arrows.  :)

46 minutes ago, RabidAlien said:

BigNoise is fun, too, but with archery you can (usually) retrieve and reuse the arrows.  :)

I need to get to the range to make some big noise--but with the temps hovering around 100 here, it may wait until next week.  The finger that operates the boom switch is getting a little rusty.

1 hour ago, Jim McDonald said:

I need to get to the range to make some big noise--but with the temps hovering around 100 here, it may wait until next week.  The finger that operates the boom switch is getting a little rusty.

I need to find a new range...the one we've visited a couple of times since moving last summer combines LittleNoise and BiggerNoise (not BIGNoise, thankfully) on one indoor set of 10 lanes.  LittleEars don't like the BiggerNoises in that confined space, even with earpro on.  And as with you, the heat is a bit excessive for us to try out nearby outdoor ranges just yet.  Archery is quieter, too, makes it easier to hear LittleEars' excited squeals when she manages to hit the target (regardless of ring).

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 8:11 AM, barb.j.enders said:

These are photos, that I have taken, and turned into puzzles.  They are from Lake of the Woods, ON.  We have a large cruiser boat that we can go exploring the lake with.  Thsi past weekend we saw moose swimming across from one island to another, two large turtles, a buck, and watched a beaver grooming itself on a rock.

20190425_073007.jpg

Very nice!  Assembling puzzles at Pellow's Island is a long established pastime. 

Seeing what you did makes me want to do something similar.  Just how did you go about making the puzzles?

Frank:

I don't meant to answer for Barb, but I made some puzzles from some of my images. I just get a good quality print made commercially (drug store or other retailer) and the spray glue them to 1/4" plywood. Then I put a couple of coats of clear lacquer on both sides. Give it about an hour or so to cure and then free hand cut the pieces. The late Carter Johnson had some videos on YouTube about cutting puzzles and I learned a lot from him.

Search Carterj636 or "postage stamp puzzle". Watching him cut a 10 piece puzzle from a postage stamp is great. 

Edited by Jim McDonald
Adding info

Thanks JIm, I was thinking that if I just glued a photo to some wood then cut it that I might rip the paper.  But, with dried laquer over the paper, it should work OK.  But I doubt that I will cutting freehand; rather I will search for a puzzle pieces pattern, attach it to the back, and cut the puzzle that way.

On 7/20/2019 at 7:11 AM, Frank Pellow said:

Thanks JIm, I was thinking that if I just glued a photo to some wood then cut it that I might rip the paper.  But, with dried laquer over the paper, it should work OK.  But I doubt that I will cutting freehand; rather I will search for a puzzle pieces pattern, attach it to the back, and cut the puzzle that way.

Frank,  I have cut without the spray laquer and it's okay. Laquer is better.  I finnished the back of the puzzle first with tung oil, then glued the photo to the unfinished side.  There is a video on the Gwinnett site. Can't  remember the guy's name  but the cuts with the  photo on the table side. The trick is to turn the blade upside down.   Steve Good has pattern  templets available and a pattern book for sale.

Edited by barb.j.enders