Dust Separator???

kmmcrafts

Anyone have any experience with these China knock-off dust separators?? Looks like the Oneta brand mini one..  I seen these last summer and was going to buy one.. kept putting it off and they disappeared offline... now I see they're back in stock.. My brother inlaw bought two of them but I never seen them in person.. and he's not using them for sawdust collection.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Powder-Dust-Collector-Filter-Power-Separator-vacuum-cleaner-accessories/124092617504?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

1 hour ago, kmmcrafts said:

Anyone have any experience with these China knock-off dust separators?? Looks like the Oneta brand mini one..  I seen these last summer and was going to buy one.. kept putting it off and they disappeared offline... now I see they're back in stock.. My brother inlaw bought two of them but I never seen them in person.. and he's not using them for sawdust collection.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cyclone-Powder-Dust-Collector-Filter-Power-Separator-vacuum-cleaner-accessories/124092617504?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

I read the reviews and most folks said they worked. A few almost always find fault with everything so I toss most of them out. The DD works great and so does the H/D Dustopper that fits on a 5 gallon bucket. A lower profile is what I like about that one. I have both and they both work great. 

56 minutes ago, Badgerboy said:

Another vote for the Dust Deputy. I use it in my shop for all my power tools; router table, bandsaw, table saw etc..  The only thing I don’t use it for is my scrollsaw but I have the seyco unit which includes a cyclone.

Is that cyclone on the Seyco unit the smaller dust deputy?  I'm really curious on that system.. wish someone local had one I could look at in person, LOL.. Maybe I just order it and see for myself, LOL

40 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Is that cyclone on the Seyco unit the smaller dust deputy?  I'm really curious on that system.. wish someone local had one I could look at in person, LOL.. Maybe I just order it and see for myself, LOL

I've never seen a really small DD. I know they make a regular size and a large one. 

2 hours ago, Heli_av8tor said:

I have one of these knockoffs. It may have been a different vendor but it looks like the picture. 

It works well  - best I can tell. I don’t think any of them will work great on the fines.

Tom

My DD/Fein vac combo seems to work great. I use it for my scroll saw and general shop cleanup. The 16 foot hose makes that possible in my small shop.

14 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Kevin,  yes the seyco cyclone is smaller and uses smaller diameter hoses.  I have had my DD for 20+ years but it is very similar to one of their current versions here: https://www.oneida-air.com/dust-deputy/10-gallon-dust-deputy-deluxe-cyclone-separator-kit

It was not that expensive way back when and I chose the metal barrel because as I said I use it on my router table and larger other tools the create bigger chips and sawdust volume. It does a great job of keeping my vacuum filter clean. 

Edited by Badgerboy

25 minutes ago, rash_powder said:

I have seen on youtube experiments running multiple dust deputy or similar product, I don't recall name of it, in series.  For $20 each I could easily see two or three in series if a person had the space and jars/pail to hook them too.

I thought about that too..

I'm just curious, what it the reason to run two (or more) in series?  Just so maybe you don't have to empty the bucket as often?  I have an old Dust Deputy, and unlike in the picture on this Ebay add, I had to anchor the bucket pretty well.  They are very top heavy.  I couldn't just set it on the floor and turn the vac on.  It would immediately tip over. 

2 hours ago, Scrappile said:

I'm just curious, what it the reason to run two (or more) in series?  Just so maybe you don't have to empty the bucket as often?  I have an old Dust Deputy, and unlike in the picture on this Ebay add, I had to anchor the bucket pretty well.  They are very top heavy.  I couldn't just set it on the floor and turn the vac on.  It would immediately tip over. 

Couple of bricks in the bottom of the bucket will cure that.

🙂

5 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Won't tip. RJF

image.thumb.png.6875eb3839022080e55b3326dd4e7f96.png

10 hours ago, Scrappile said:

That's exactly the reason I gave away my DD. Too top heavy and had no room to use a cart to mount it on. I went to the low profile Dust Stopper from Home Depot.

Thanks for all the input on this.. Been an interesting topic for me. 

I found a cheaper source for that dust deputy knock off and can get them for $10 each. LOL

That said though, I bought the Dust Right system back a few months ago.. Seems like it's working pretty good and certainly better than no separator at all like I was using, LOL.. You all brought up a valid point and that was big bulky.. That's kinda my bigger complaint of the DR that I have.. It's about the size of my large shop vac.. I didn't think it was going to be that large when I got it.. I'd like something smaller that'd fit under the saw stand.. Seeing the Seyco dust vac system all contained to the saw and stand is something I like.. and I thought maybe the DD system was actually that small.. But you all are pointing out that isn't the case.. Wonder where Ray sources that little mini cyclone from for his vac system..  I might look into the DD that Les talks of.. I might be able to put that onto a small bucket..  

9 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Thanks for all the input on this.. Been an interesting topic for me. 

I found a cheaper source for that dust deputy knock off and can get them for $10 each. LOL

That said though, I bought the Dust Right system back a few months ago.. Seems like it's working pretty good and certainly better than no separator at all like I was using, LOL.. You all brought up a valid point and that was big bulky.. That's kinda my bigger complaint of the DR that I have.. It's about the size of my large shop vac.. I didn't think it was going to be that large when I got it.. I'd like something smaller that'd fit under the saw stand.. Seeing the Seyco dust vac system all contained to the saw and stand is something I like.. and I thought maybe the DD system was actually that small.. But you all are pointing out that isn't the case.. Wonder where Ray sources that little mini cyclone from for his vac system..  I might look into the DD that Les talks of.. I might be able to put that onto a small bucket..  

The one you found for $10, is it still a big one like the DD or is it downsized? I might be interested if it's smaller. Otherwise, I'll make one of my own design.

This one on Amazon sure looks interesting. I'm very tempted to give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VS1YDJT/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I had to do some searching around to find the dimensions but this is a little bitty thing. It appears to be made of aluminum.

8879aaad7f7d1d58d62f51905627480dcc5b385b_400_400.jpeg

Edited by octoolguy

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

This one on Amazon sure looks interesting. I'm very tempted to give it a try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VS1YDJT/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

I had to do some searching around to find the dimensions but this is a little bitty thing. It appears to be made of aluminum.

8879aaad7f7d1d58d62f51905627480dcc5b385b_400_400.jpeg

interesting thing, looks like you would need a 1" ID hose to connect it though

21 minutes ago, JimErn said:

interesting thing, looks like you would need a 1" ID hose to connect it though

Yeah, but I think I can come up with a work-around. I've been sort of collecting old vacuum cleaner hoses and anything of that sort. I have one that is about an inch inside that I think will work. I'm gonna give it a try. For that price, it's worth a shot.