Leopard Cub with Pal, an African Ground Squirrel

DickMira

3 hours ago, DickMira said:

This piece was started on a white oak board, 23" x 15" x 1" thick, routed on all sides with a frame molding bit to cut an incorporated frame.  Scrollsawing and then power carving with a Foredom rotary power tool was completed.  Sanding was  done, light selective staining and multiple coats of Wipe-on-Poly were applied.  A backer with black satin paint was attached.

IMG_1206.JPG

Beautiful

As always, your work is wonderful.

What I realy want to know is, where you found  a piece of White Oak 23" x 15" x 1" thick.  I live in Central Florida  and can not find any place that sells any hardwoods other than Red oak.  Purchasing large heavy wood online is really cost prohibitive for a hobby endevour.

14 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Your work is just amazing. Still can't figure out how you do it.

Good Morning, Ralph  Thanks for the super comment.  Check out my " Wildlife Montage " shown in stepwise fashion in the Works in Progress section.  It might provide some explanation of the process for you.  Regards,  Dick

Dick, your work is outstanding. Your talent goes far beyond cutting on the line! I also cut most things only once and they are usually either for my shop wall or as gifts to family and friends. I just need to make sure they don't see your work or they'll feel cheated. :) Thanks for sharing your artwork with us!

On 11/30/2020 at 6:03 AM, DickMira said:

This piece was started on a white oak board, 23" x 15" x 1" thick, routed on all sides with a frame molding bit to cut an incorporated frame.  Scrollsawing and then power carving with a Foredom rotary power tool was completed.  Sanding was  done, light selective staining and multiple coats of Wipe-on-Poly were applied.  A backer with black satin paint was attached.

IMG_1206.JPG

I don't know if you showed us which bits you used with the Foredom ,but i'd be interested in knowing. I have a friend that may sell his! You've quite an eye for details!!!

Kevin asked about whether he should purchase some used woodcarving bits from a friend.  There are hundreds of different woodcarving bits available in the market by many different manufacturers.  This tells us that each woodcarver has his own favorites.  Each project has unique features.  The woodworker needs to be skilled in woodcarving before trying carved fretwork because of the delicate nature of the fretwork.  He or she should have experienced how a particular bit cuts on a piece of hardwood before attempting to use it on his fretwork. The cutting bits come in a huge selection of sizes, sharpness, aggressiveness,  and shapes and unless you have tried them, it is impossible to know how they will behave in your project. Start with the general selections found in starter woodcarving kits and try all of them to find your favorites rather than choosing those another woodworker uses.  Just as your scrolling skills improved with practice, so too will your carving skills.  Finally, not all scrollsaw patterns are good for carving.  Experience will help you make these decisions.

Edited by DickMira
specified for woodcarving