Copyright Reminder

Travis

First of I’d like to thank Travis and Clayton for all they do for the site as I can only imagine the amount of work it takes to keep this going along with all the time out of their own busy scheduals to do so.  Second, I guess I learned something new as I did not realize that once an individual has passed and there is no longer a way to get prints that they still fall under copyright guidelines for that far afterwards??  Myself I respect copyrights and the efforts and livelihood for everyone making them and for making plans available for sale for us scrollers as I feel all the plans, I have purchased from various avenues have been more than reasonable for what they are. Just like when someone here makes a piece and all the time and effort it takes to do so.

• Travis unpinned this topic
  • 5 months later...

Copyright is a serious thing, if you really love what you do, you will stand up to defend your rights.
I also had a copyright problem once.
You have very good jobs.
I tried many times, but apparently it's not mine.
But for that I photograph well.
  The most important thing for me as a photographer is to protect my work from intruders who want to use my work without my agreement.
  If you, like me, are afraid of such scammers, then I highly recommend you to use this application  https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.visualwatermark.watermarkly.
  Especially if you are putting photos of your work for sale, or just on the Internet.
  Take care of your safety.

Edited by ValentinDerkovsky

On 3/10/2021 at 9:34 AM, Travis said:

Just a reminder, please not to share patterns you didn't design yourself.  If they're from a book, there are copyrights attached to those patterns.  Instead, point them in the direction where they can obtain the patterns for themselves.  This is also true for patterns from other websites and digital products.  Even if they're free patterns, many times the artist wants to control how their hard work is distributed.  We want to respect the designer's wishes and support the artists that make these wonderful patterns.

There are times when the designer has passed away and the patterns are no longer available for purchase.  It may seem like copyrights no longer pertain or we may want to extend their legacy by sharing their work.  Unfortunately, copyrights still do persist 70 years beyond the designer's death.  The rights are transferred to his/her estate.  It is up to their estate as to what they want to do with the designs.

Also, please remember that I'm just a solo guy who runs SSV on the side for the scrolling community.  I try hard to make this a friendly place with a ton of great information and resources.  We have a fostered a group of really great people who want to be helpful.  Sometimes we don't think anything of sharing a pattern with a fellow scroller.  But please keep this in mind.  We can't use SSV as a platform to share patterns that don't belong to us.  A single letter from a cranky lawyer could potentially shut down the whole website.  So I try to be diligent about protecting copyrighted works. 

SSV is a big place and I can't see it all.  If you see something that doesn't belong, please flag it for review (the 3 dots under the upper right corner).  Clayton or I will take a closer look.

Thank you for understanding.

Travis, what about if I want to share a pattern that I got from a book that is out of print? I have one book in particular that I've made things from and have had folks on the village ask me either for the pattern or where I got it. I have told them the name of the book, that it's out of print and they might do a search for a used copy. I also try to include the designer's name so they can search on that. At what point can we safely share patterns that were done by others?

2 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Travis, what about if I want to share a pattern that I got from a book that is out of print? I have one book in particular that I've made things from and have had folks on the village ask me either for the pattern or where I got it. I have told them the name of the book, that it's out of print and they might do a search for a used copy. I also try to include the designer's name so they can search on that. At what point can we safely share patterns that were done by others?

You can do anything you want behind the scenes, just don’t share it on the forum.