Travis

6 hours ago, barb.j.enders said:

Here are some of the projects I have done that have "Gone to the Birds"

20190113_113025.jpg

20190224_173726.jpg

20191230_161812.jpg

20200422_074001.jpg

20200826_081358.jpg

birds are so amazing. I can't say that I love all birds but I can say they all are a real gift from God to mankind. Your work is all very well done and interesting to view. Thanks for posting them.

Dick

heppnerguy

22 minutes ago, OzarkSawdust said:

Here's a flock of birds I've done.

Hummingbird 1.jpg

IMG_0900.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1705.jpg

You also posted a nice variety of birds , all are done quite nicely too. I have cut some of these myself. My personal favorite is the little comical owl sitting on a branch. I have always loved this little fellow. Yours has a little more detail than the others ones I have seen and made but very similar otherwise

Dick

heppnerguy

4 hours ago, ben2008 said:

I did this a few years ago. It is a Judy Gale Roberts design. I recently gave it to my son-in-law. It now resides in sunny FL.

Pelican.jpg

Wood used

Aspen
Walnut
Western Red Cedar
Cherry
Yellowheart
Maple
Poplar

Beautifully done. Hard to beat a Judy Gayle Roberts intarsia pattern to make. She has the best way to send her patterns to her customers. Your work is fabulous.

Dick

heppnerguy

On 5/12/2021 at 8:30 AM, Frank Pellow said:

Like FrankEV, birds make up a large part of the scroll-lsawn work that I have done and, right now, I am just completing and framing another one.

But, unlike him, I will only post the photo of one bird in this thread.  I'm going to go away for a little while right now and figure out my favourite, then post it here. ...

... I'm back.  My favourite is Brrrrdbath:

245079997_Brrrdbath17-Framed-small.thumb.JPG.cd9ff3dcca0c1970ea744e32ae28262f.JPG

I designed this based upon a serigraph by Charlie Harper. I used Baltic birch plywood for most of the the pieces and the backing. The snow pieces were cut from maple dowel and the water drops were fashioned by sanding down axel caps originally intended for use with wooden toys.

One of my favorite pieces of "Bird Art"

My wife and I enjoy a local restaurant because of their good food, but mostly because of the employees. We go there about twice a week and everyone of them takes a second to acknowledge, not only us, but everyone who enters the restaurant. So to thank them for what they do and how they do it, I made them a sign with their logo. The restaurant is El Pollo Loco in Goodyear, Arizona. This is my contribution to the "For the Birds" Scrollsaw Challenge.

20210429_141559.jpg

20210518_135055.jpg

Mix and match hummers. 

I could not get these complete before end of month "For the birds". Also "For the wife".

Work got in the way of hobbies. 

Wood used.. . .

-purple heart

-walnut

-lacewood   (good for feather look)

-myrtle

-osage orange 

I got them shaped today. Maybe sunday I can go over then with 220 and then 320 grit.  I angled the trailing edge wing quit a bit.  The intent was to try get some more 3d effect. Making the head and tail rounder and thinner than main body also enhanced 3d look.

I got carried away on thinning on a couple of the tails.  But hummers are small anyway. I kept the wings as taller than the body for an action of flight look. 

I cut each one with same pattern from each piece of wood.  This way I can mix and match pieces /colors. Then I have 5 of them.  The one with no tail will have a darker tail from bocote.

The pattern I made / traced with inkscape from a picture on net.  I wanted easy number of pieces.  The throat transition from body to neck turn out to be similar to a puzzle piece.  

I just could not use the olive wood (upper left first picture) into the smaller pieces and keep the olivewood grain intact.  Maybe next project.

20210528_183346.jpg

20210528_191245.jpg