My version of Dave Monk’s ‘Box for Valentines Day’

FrankEV

Very nice. I use a lot of Padauk and feel your frustration, as it has happened to me, too. I find that the dust sneaks up, gets on my hands, and the expletive deletives come roaring. I have sometimes lucked out with the help of mineral spirits, but not always, especially if it gets on Baltic Birch. 
Regardless, the piece is beautiful. 

Edited by Old Joe

7 hours ago, preprius said:

...How did you align the top and bottom smaller hearts?  ....

I have a home made glue-up panel clamp made from two 3/4" x 18"x 24"  plywood panels that have ribs glued to the top and bottom and uses 6 pre-installed bolts to provide a uniform clamping action.  This clamp was made to work with my flat pprtrait panels, however I works with thicker items using squeeze clamps.

When I cut a pattern out of a blank I drill a hole near the pattern perrimeter so the waste part of the panel remains intact,  After cutting the two stacks I glued up the body parts in two glue-ups of 3 and 2, using the intack waste perrimeters to hold the stacks alligned while clamped in the Glue-up clamp.  

Gluing the two stacks together was a little more difficult to make sure they don't slip, but with the glue-up clamp I can carefully apply the clamping pressure uniformally to prevent any slipage.  Simerally, Gluing the body to the bottom was done the same way, but centered basically by eye.

Hope this info was helpful.  I did a posting about the clamp I made and use, but I cant find it.

On 2/13/2022 at 6:43 PM, FrankEV said:

Back on January 24th, Dave Monk posted “Box for Valentines Day’ (https://www.scrollsawvillage.com/forums/topic/45253-box-for-valentines-day/) made from Maple and Padauk.  I liked the box and asked him if he would share his pattern so I could make one for my lady, which he graciously did.  A big Thank You to Dave.

I did not have the necessary Maple and Padauk wood on hand and decided to order it from Ocooh. Delivery took some time and other priorities intervened, so I got a late start and had to tell her that her Valentines present would be late.  Well, I got it started and the lacquer finish is drying as I write this.  So, she will get it tomorrow, Valentines day.

I modified Dave’s pattern slightly.  My box is cut from blanks that were 8” square so the box is about 7 ½” tall by 7 ½” wide.  I also decided to use five 3/8” layers (Padauk, Maple, Padauk, Maple, Padauk) which made my box 1 7/8” deep, allowing me to cut two stacks, a 3 and a 2.  I use 1/2” Maple for the top and Bottom.  The Top inset Heart detail was made from a stack of cut-outs from the body (Padauk, Maple, Maple) which produced a 1 1/8” glued up stack.  When I cut the opening in the top for the Heart detail I undercut it slightly and sanded it to get a nice tight fit.  The glued in inset piece projects 3/8” below the Top to act as a stopper for the Top into the Body and 1/4"above the top to provide the raised Heart detail.

Dave has the advantage of having a Band Saw and a spindle sander which I do not have room for in my tiny shop.  I eased all the edges with a round over bit in my Router and did all my sanding using my Dremel and a lot by hand.  That is where I ran into some difficulty. Not the sanding but with the Padauk dust!!!! 

The Padauk sanding dust acks like a stain when it gets on the Maple.  You just cannot wipe it off clean with a tack cloth.  I even applied a coat of Lacquer Sanding Sealer to try and control the staining, but It did not really do the job.

Like Dave, I finished the box with multiple coats of Clear Gloss Lacquer and added a Red Felt to the box bottom.  I like the way it came out, but not happy with the Red staind on some of the Maple.

937724165_HeartBox2.thumb.JPG.d03484569b5e21af423c11ee44800c0a.JPG

1932353359_HeartBox1.thumb.JPG.21de34af2ed100f540210e35d778dbd7.JPG

886725224_HeartBox4.thumb.JPG.10b503c145fc2e0169f071e66b7b3a5c.JPG

640599653_HeartBox3.thumb.JPG.d9eb634c39c4f4976809059871201819.JPG

Lacquer drys fast so I was able to sneek and take these pic's before she gets to see it.

As always comments and critique is welcome.

EDIT 2/14/22:  My lady was very happy!!!!😍 

H Frank, is there anyway I can get a copy of that pattern. I would love to try and make that. Thanks, Ralph.