What's happening?!!!

OCtoolguy

I've been hesitant to comment on this thread , I'm trying not to be negative.

I'm old, retired, and have lots of aches and pains, so... negative.

There are over 5,000 members on the member map, yet only a dozen or so comment with any regularity.

This drop has been noted on many forums of many topics, not just scrollsawing. My answer to the question is; if you want content, then post. Yes, it's frustrating when the post either isn't answered or the answers are sideways from the question.

For example: I ask about a handheld sanding "mop" to remove fuzzies while working in the shop (house) while minimizing dust. The typical answer was "if it ain't got a motor ...". So I got a device for sanding, the drums for it are too hard for the fretwork, so I ordered (after much back and forth with CS) flap drums from Klingspor, called CS yesterday (two weeks after the initial order) and was told since it's a special order (it's a catalogue item in Canada but not the USA) it will be another 2 weeks before I call them again.  Lots of frustration, so I think I'll go fishing again.

9 minutes ago, Wichman said:

I've been hesitant to comment on this thread , I'm trying not to be negative.

I'm old, retired, and have lots of aches and pains, so... negative.

There are over 5,000 members on the member map, yet only a dozen or so comment with any regularity.

This drop has been noted on many forums of many topics, not just scrollsawing. My answer to the question is; if you want content, then post. Yes, it's frustrating when the post either isn't answered or the answers are sideways from the question.

For example: I ask about a handheld sanding "mop" to remove fuzzies while working in the shop (house) while minimizing dust. The typical answer was "if it ain't got a motor ...". So I got a device for sanding, the drums for it are too hard for the fretwork, so I ordered (after much back and forth with CS) flap drums from Klingspor, called CS yesterday (two weeks after the initial order) and was told since it's a special order (it's a catalogue item in Canada but not the USA) it will be another 2 weeks before I call them again.  Lots of frustration, so I think I'll go fishing again.

Regarding the sanding mop:  Not sure who CS is, but if it is a standard item in the Canadian catalogue, why not just phone the Canadian store? 

7 minutes ago, barb.j.enders said:

Regarding the sanding mop:  Not sure who CS is, but if it is a standard item in the Canadian catalogue, why not just phone the Canadian store? 

CS is Customer Service.

The retail store, Canadian, did not show the item either and the commercial sites (both Canadian and US) only wants to sell to commercial customers .

8 minutes ago, OCtoolguy said:

Wick, I'm curious as to what you are looking to buy. If you could give more of a description, I, for one, would like to understand. I truly don't recall your inquiry. I apologize for missing it.

Original Q & A:

What I'm tring to get from Klingspor:   https://www.klingspor.ca/products/abrasive-mop/sm-611-s#kaufen_anchor

The machine it goes in :   https://www.harborfreight.com/9-amp-surface-conditioning-tool-58079.html

I have the sander upside down on my work bench just to the right of my saw (clamped in the wood vise with a foot switch inline) , I was waiting for the new drums to get here and I will do a breakdown of how well the idea works, but waiting .........

1 hour ago, Wichman said:

CS is Customer Service.

The retail store, Canadian, did not show the item either and the commercial sites (both Canadian and US) only wants to sell to commercial customers .

Have you tried Stockroom Supply?  Link here.  https://stockroomsupply.com/search?type=product&q=sanding+mop

52 minutes ago, GrampaJim said:

I was thinking it was slower here too.  I haven't been posting much because I am not doing anything new.  A lot of repeats this year because I have been busy in the shop, but I figured you all don't want to see the 10th addition of something I have posted before.  Maybe I am wrong?

It at least gives us an idea of your health. There are so many of us "oldies" on here that when activity slows down I start wondering "who died"?

Well since the topic has sort of morphed into a sanding area, I curious as to how most of you who use the sanding mops break in a new one. I buy the refill kits and put them on my own mandrels that are much cheaper at H/D. I use them in an old 1/2' variable speed drill clamped to my bench. They are very stiff when new so I have been running them against a piece of scrap plywood to loosen them up. When I get a new one I make a star out of all the pieces before putting them on the mandrel. Still takes a long time to break them in.

Edited by OCtoolguy

8 minutes ago, JimErn said:

@Wichman

Have you tried Amazon, They have like 20 pages of flap sanders, mop sanders, etc

Yep, they have many products that fit the machine, from the type that came with the machine to abrasive brushes, all of them are far too coarse/stiff for what I need (sanding fuzzies off of fretwork). Amazon has Klingspor products, just not what I need. 😞

Part of the frustration is the quagmire that internet searches have become i.e. search for a apple, get results that include oranges. 😞    This includes searches on business sites; Amazon, Lowes, Home depot, Ace hardware, etc.

11 minutes ago, Wichman said:

Yep, they have many products that fit the machine, from the type that came with the machine to abrasive brushes, all of them are far too coarse/stiff for what I need (sanding fuzzies off of fretwork). Amazon has Klingspor products, just not what I need. 😞

Part of the frustration is the quagmire that internet searches have become i.e. search for a apple, get results that include oranges. 😞    This includes searches on business sites; Amazon, Lowes, Home depot, Ace hardware, etc.

I feel your pain when conducting searches. Amazon is one of worst i have came across. I was searching for "Children's Ride on Toys" bugger me if that never opened up a quagmire" Evry thing from $2.00  plastic car to a $2000 + electric vehicle :)

I know this is off topic . But  

1 hour ago, Wichman said:

I have a MAC mop the ones with the 1/4 inch shaft purchased from  https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/mm07203/ I use the 180 and 240 grit. 

DSC_3057.JPG

Yeah like searching FB Marketplace for scroll saw and I get miter saws, table saws and hand saws.. pictures of saws saw manuals and you scroll down about 4 miles and find the first scroll saw listing from 3 years ago. 😂 Eventually you find some recent adds for local saws for sale but not until FB shows you many other possibilities. 

This has been tough to those trying to sell things online. Even when I had my saw up for sale I got very few views on the ads. List on CL but not many people even remember what that site is. Like I said before, FB seems like the hangout where everyone is. 

2 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Yeah like searching FB Marketplace for scroll saw and I get miter saws, table saws and hand saws.. pictures of saws saw manuals and you scroll down about 4 miles and find the first scroll saw listing from 3 years ago. 😂 Eventually you find some recent adds for local saws for sale but not until FB shows you many other possibilities. 

This has been tough to those trying to sell things online. Even when I had my saw up for sale I got very few views on the ads. List on CL but not many people even remember what that site is. Like I said before, FB seems like the hangout where everyone is. 

I use both Marketplace & C/L for selling stuff. I've had great luck on both. When we sold our motorhome last year I paid $200 for a 1 year ad on RVTrader and a free ad on Marketplace. I got zero from RVT and tons from MKTP. Sold it from there. When I search MKTP for scroll saws I specify brand and they come right up. I'm usually looking for Hegners so I ask for them by name. Right now there are 5 but all too expensive. The last one I got for $40.

As others have said, it is spring and there are lots of catch ups for me. Today I serviced the snow thrower and stored it and all the shovels(that means we will now have a big snow), early start on yard work, get mower and sprinkler system ready etc.....I have a couple of projects started but no time to finish them now. 

1 hour ago, CSull said:

As others have said, it is spring and there are lots of catch ups for me. Today I serviced the snow thrower and stored it and all the shovels(that means we will now have a big snow), early start on yard work, get mower and sprinkler system ready etc.....I have a couple of projects started but no time to finish them now. 

As much as I envy where you live, I don't envy your tasks. Our biggest job here is to wipe the dust off our front deck furniture so we can sit and watch the world go by. If my wife would let me, I'd put one of my saws on the front porch. But, alas, that ain't gonna happen.

I will add to those who have cited seasonal cores as a part of the slow down.

Saturday morning I mowed and then pulled most of the stuff off the patio to sweep and then hose down the pad. Then more yard work before I could break out the saw to work on the third version of a baseball sign for the preteen crowd.

Spent part of Sunday working on building ornament stock for autumn shows and now I need to replace the bake element in the oven.

Also getting ready to start emptying my wife's office as she retires. She has been in the same office for 20+years, so it will take a bit. 

Still looking in daily and making a few comments.

23 hours ago, Wichman said:

I guess I misunderstood, I thought you specified a flap mop, not that you wanted to remove fuzzies from fretwork.

I use one of these to clean up fretwork and contour shapes.  Available in several grits, but I find 180 to work fine

https://www.amazon.com/sanding-mops-woodworking/s?k=sanding+mops+woodworking

Scrolling down to the multipack called Mixiflor I also use those for the really hard to get to areas and fine detail

16 hours ago, Jim McDonald said:

I will add to those who have cited seasonal cores as a part of the slow down.

Saturday morning I mowed and then pulled most of the stuff off the patio to sweep and then hose down the pad. Then more yard work before I could break out the saw to work on the third version of a baseball sign for the preteen crowd.

Spent part of Sunday working on building ornament stock for autumn shows and now I need to replace the bake element in the oven.

Also getting ready to start emptying my wife's office as she retires. She has been in the same office for 20+years, so it will take a bit. 

Still looking in daily and making a few comments.

Come on now Jim,  have seen all of those American movies when somebody gets fired or changes jobs and all of their office possessions fit in one cardboard box which they can carry under one arm :)
Best wishes to the War Office on her retirement.