Inlaid work on scroll saw

beaver

Looks great! I wish my first were that good. You should be super proud.  I would like to make one suggestion. Work on covering up your entry holes a bit better. There are two different methods I use although there are many. An easy product to use is Timbermate Filler. If I don't have the correct color I use shellac and sawdust. Without me blowing them up they look perfect.

12 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Looks great! I wish my first were that good. You should be super proud.  I would like to make one suggestion. Work on covering up your entry holes a bit better. There are two different methods I use although there are many. An easy product to use is Timbermate Filler. If I don't have the correct color I use shellac and sawdust. Without me blowing them up they look perfect.

Dave, just another method of fixing entry holes and small blemishes is wax sticks. I use them routinely on my jobs and the fix is invisible. You can purchase them individually or in a pack of various colours. I have about 10 and I honestly can not remember the last time I bought any. The soft ones are better as they do not require melting to use. I typically apply them after the 1st coat of finish.

23 hours ago, preprius said:

Look pretty good.

What kind of woods?  

I like the Barbara one the best. 

I was just using scraps of 1/8 '' plywood....birch and oak . That one was actually my first one.

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

Awesome job.  I really like the middle one!!  lol!!

1 hour ago, barb.j.enders said:

Awesome job.  I really like the middle one!!  lol!!

My favorite one also....wife's name..lol

10 hours ago, John B said:

Dave, just another method of fixing entry holes and small blemishes is wax sticks. I use them routinely on my jobs and the fix is invisible. You can purchase them individually or in a pack of various colours. I have about 10 and I honestly can not remember the last time I bought any. The soft ones are better as they do not require melting to use. I typically apply them after the 1st coat of finish.

I tried mixing sawdust from under the scroll saw with wood glue, but did not come out that good. I may try the box of crayons.

15 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

I never had luck using glue either. I know @Jim Finnuses white glue.

When the entry holes show up in my inlay, this is what I do:

Sand, off the problem on the edge of both the inlay and the background wood, before applying glue and assembling. After gluing in place, I then fill in that area and all that appears is a slightly wider gap at the edge of the inlay.  I fill this slight gap with a mixture of white glue and sanding dust.  (Any saw dust is way to coarse) I apply the mixture of glue and sanding dust by using a plastic credit card as a squeegee, let dry just ten minutes, and sand flush.  I make the glue sanding dust mixture about the consistency of Mayonnaise.  This process may be required more than once because the glue sometimes shrinks a bit.   If yellow glue is used the filler becomes too dark in color. White glue, like the kids use in school, works best.

15 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

When the entry holes show up in my inlay, this is what I do:

Sand, off the problem on the edge of both the inlay and the background wood, before applying glue and assembling. After gluing in place, I then fill in that area and all that appears is a slightly wider gap at the edge of the inlay.  I fill this slight gap with a mixture of white glue and sanding dust.  (Any saw dust is way to coarse) I apply the mixture of glue and sanding dust by using a plastic credit card as a squeegee, let dry just ten minutes, and sand flush.  I make the glue sanding dust mixture about the consistency of Mayonnaise.  This process may be required more than once because the glue sometimes shrinks a bit.   If yellow glue is used the filler becomes too dark in color. White glue, like the kids use in school, works best.

It's funny, but the 1st time heard of "Yellow" glue was from Americans. All of the Australian PVA's are white. Because we are the 51st state there is now Titebond yellow glues available, but it is, in reality no better than the other PVAs' as they are stronger than the wood they are joining. :)

7 hours ago, John B said:

It's funny, but the 1st time heard of "Yellow" glue was from Americans. All of the Australian PVA's are white. Because we are the 51st state there is now Titebond yellow glues available, but it is, in reality no better than the other PVAs' as they are stronger than the wood they are joining. :)

The yellow glue I do use (Not for inlay work) is "Titebond 2" and is water resistant.  White glue is not.  Both are stronger than the wood, true.

6 hours ago, Jim Finn said:

The yellow glue I do use (Not for inlay work) is "Titebond 2" and is water resistant.  White glue is not.  Both are stronger than the wood, true.

That's clever marketing Jim, because I just checked the PVA I use and it is white, but they also make an exterior PVA, which is white. So in reality the colour does not matter.
Another brand I use is Selley's and they have the same, water resistant, white PVA.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, preprius said:

Look pretty good.

What kind of woods?  

The welcome and sea horse are 1/8'' birch and oak plywood and the Barbara one is birch plywood and mahogany.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:38 PM, preprius said:

Look pretty good.

What kind of woods?