Different Scroll Technique

Dave Monk

2 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

Dave, I'm curious about the date on your plaque. What exactly does it commemmorate that hasn't happened yet? Is it a wedding thing for future use? I love the pattern. Where'd you find it?

It is a commissioned plaque for a future wedding.  I don't remember where I found the tree clip art. I added the little birds on it. I really think the plaque would look better square with rounded corners but my client wanted it oval.  

9 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

It is a commissioned plaque for a future wedding.  I don't remember where I found the tree clip art. I added the little birds on it. I really think the plaque would look better square with rounded corners but my client wanted it oval.  

That makes sense as the date was for later THIS year. I was hoping and praying that it was not a mistake. That would have been terrible. For such a work of art.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago you posted on of your projects and stated you used a sanding mop which produced a very nice project. I didn't really know what a sanding mop was, so I started googling. Thousands of sanding mops popped up.  I ask you, what kind did you use? Thought I might like to give it a try.

Jerry

51 minutes ago, jerry walters said:

A couple of weeks ago you posted on of your projects and stated you used a sanding mop which produced a very nice project. I didn't really know what a sanding mop was, so I started googling. Thousands of sanding mops popped up.  I ask you, what kind did you use? Thought I might like to give it a try.

Jerry

I have several different types but for this project I think I used this one. https://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/PARMM072/ I used mainly a 120 grit. I also have it in a 80 and 220 grit. 

12 hours ago, BadBob said:

I have the Klingspor Abrasives Gold Sand Mop 1"x 4" 220 Grit Flutter Sheet Starter Kit. I'm not sure what grit it is. I have been using it for a long time.

I also have a Mac Mop, which I have not been using long enough to have an opinion.

I have three of those in different grits also but I don't use them as much as other types. 

On 3/19/2023 at 4:32 PM, Dave Monk said:

I crafted this plaque using ribbon striped (quarter sawed) sapele. When cutting the tree I set my saw at approximately a two degree angle. The tree worked well for this because it was one continuous cut. I pushed the tree out about 1/2 way and did a lot of sanding with a sanding mop. I'm very happy with the look.  

Dave, Do you keep your piece (on the saw table) that you want to be raised up opposite of what you discussed in the inlay technique (located in Resources>Articles & How-to>Tutorials>Scroll Saw Inlay)? I suppose you could do it in different woods, like you did for your Batman top of your box...  Thanks

Edited by MarieC

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2023 at 9:09 AM, MarieC said:

Dave, Do you keep your piece (on the saw table) that you want to be raised up opposite of what you discussed in the inlay technique (located in Resources>Articles & How-to>Tutorials>Scroll Saw Inlay)? I suppose you could do it in different woods, like you did for your Batman top of your box...  Thanks

Sorry for the slow response.  It is a similar technique as doing an inlay only using the same piece of wood. If I used different species of wood I would want to use thinner wood and do it exactly like I would an inlay only using a different angle. 

On 4/12/2023 at 6:48 PM, Dave Monk said:

....do it exactly like I would an inlay only using a different angle. 

Dave. Thank you ...one last question.   I thought both the Inlay and this one are set at 2 degrees. Is the inlay at a different angle?  Thanks again 

Edited by MarieC
Typo

19 hours ago, MarieC said:

Dave. Thank you ...one last question.   I thought both the I lay and this one are set at 2 degrees. Is the inlay at a different angle?  Thanks again 

The video I did on inlays is a few years old and I'm doing it a bit different now. I really should update it but making videos really isn't my thing. Currently when I do an inlay I start with two pieces of wood about .4" thick, stack them and cut through. I'm using a #5 super sharp blade and set my saw about 1.6 degree angle. The angle depends on your blade size and brand, wood thickness and hardness. Sometimes my inlays end up a bit tight and then sometimes loose.  After I glue the pieces in I run it through my drum sander to clean it up and end up with a finished piece that is about 3/8" thick. 

When I did this tree the wood I used was 3/4"  I set my saw at about 2 degrees because I didn't want the tree to push up as far as 3/8".

Hope that makes some sense to you. If not, send me a message and I am happy to share my phone number with you. 

3 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

The video I did on inlays is a few years old and I'm doing it a bit different now. I really should update it but making videos really isn't my thing. Currently when I do an inlay I start with two pieces of wood about .4" thick, stack them and cut through. 

Thank you so much.  I think I understand what you are saying and do understand how difficult it must be to make a video.

I did try a tree with your instructions...my trunk and large branches worked but my gaps around the leaves are too big.  I believe I used too wide of a blade.  I used a spiral blade for the first time for those (it sounds like I need to use the same blade throughout).  I don't think I like the spiral blade very much because it cuts pretty wide and seems a bit squirly.  I will try again with a smaller width blade....I  may end up calling you for help if I keep having difficulty 🙂.  Thanks again for sharing all your knowledge.  It is very much appreciated! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...