My latest commission piece complete.

Dave Monk

11 hours ago, preprius said:

Super nice. I love the 3D of the jet and how well you did the lettering in different wood.  

What size is this?  

It measures 23" x 16 1/2".  The lettering was quite tricky because it was so small I cut them freehand without stacking them like I would do a regular inlay.

16 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

I was commissioned to make this plaque for a client who works for American Airlines. He plans to give it to a long time colleague who is retiring after the first of the year. 

I combined fretwork and intarsia. The lettering was so delicate that I decided to fill it with black wood filler.  I used blue pine for the background and frame. 

American Airlines Intarsia.jpg

I emailed my client this picture last night. I got a call from him this morning telling me he loved it except for one thing.........the name was spelled wrong.  Thank goodness he approved the artwork.  Now I have to figure out how to fix it and make it look good. 

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

I emailed my client this picture last night. I got a call from him this morning telling me he loved it except for one thing.........the name was spelled wrong.  Thank goodness he approved the artwork.  Now I have to figure out how to fix it and make it look good. 

Oh crap....

please share your thoughts and final method.   I have some thoughts but I don't want to influence your artistic view point.  Ok I want to learn from you.

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

I am definitely open to suggestions. 

Remove and replace his name with a square piece of different wood.  This kinda hi-lites his name with different background.   A cloud shape instead of square would be harder and space is probably limited. But it would show that the jet going above the clouds. I don't think there is enough space. 

This separate wood piece also allows his name to be inlaid or embossed (relief).

This next idea is to place dates of service in line with his name. This gives you a bigger font to play with. But it needs client to approval. Non standard formats are hard to change.

Wow I just noticed your bottom frame adds a sun reflection to the ocean.  Adds to the overall picture. That is so cool.

31 minutes ago, preprius said:

Remove and replace his name with a square piece of different wood.  This kinda hi-lites his name with different background.   A cloud shape instead of square would be harder and space is probably limited. But it would show that the jet going above the clouds. I don't think there is enough space. 

This separate wood piece also allows his name to be inlaid or embossed (relief).

This next idea is to place dates of service in line with his name. This gives you a bigger font to play with. But it needs client to approval. Non standard formats are hard to change.

Wow I just noticed your bottom frame adds a sun reflection to the ocean.  Adds to the overall picture. That is so cool.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Thinking I might make a thin piece to match the plane over the name and inlaying the new name in cedar to match the lettering of "American Airlines." I might play with your idea of putting the date in the same line as the name.