Edge jointing on the table saw

jimmyG

Can't remember where I saw this tip but decided to try it out.

These clamp on straight edge guides come in 24 36 and 48 inch lengths and if you knock the roll pin out of the handle and turn it in the opposite direction (UP) to clear the saw's table it makes a handy way to straighten the edge of a board.  I did have to grind the plastic tab on the right front end to have it flush with the fence.
Clamp it on the board, run it along the fence and trim the other side straight & works like a champ.  

20240128_075319.jpg

20240128_075337.jpg

Image9.jpg

10 minutes ago, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I have those style clamps and use them alot for both straight edge sawing with a skil saw or router. I have them also in 8 foot versions and come in handy on full sheets of plywood. Just not sure why not use your fence for edging. 

Didn't have a straight edge on either side of the board or I would have....

Edited by jimmyG

Jimmy where did you get that?  I have a jointer which I do not like and honestly it is a machine that scares me.  So, I would like to replace it with something else.  For my big pieces I use my track saw but for smaller pieces, I hate to hall out the track saw for that.  Thank you ahead of time.  :)

3 hours ago, MarieC said:

Jimmy where did you get that?  I have a jointer which I do not like and honestly it is a machine that scares me.  So, I would like to replace it with something else.  For my big pieces I use my track saw but for smaller pieces, I hate to hall out the track saw for that.  Thank you ahead of time.  :)

Peachtree Woodworking on line.  24 inch ProGrip straight edge.  There's other companies that make cheaper ones.  I should have bought a longer one so it could also be adjusted down if needed. Stuck with 24" and it's "exactly" 24" when some plywood project sheets are a tad larger.  I've seen people lay a board next to a 48" level and ride the fence holding them together.  I usually keep a straight bit mounted on my router table to joint shorter pieces. What ever is the easiest 😏

I use those clamps he is showing for gluing boards together edge to edge to make wider boards. They work great for that. For straightening an edge I will clamp a straight edge or even use one of those clamps but would run a skil saw or circular saw as some call them,  over it and do it outside. Makes quick work of getting a straight edge on one side.