Idaho plaque

Wichman

3 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Very nice cutting.  Counterweight a great idea.

What are your plans for a backer and finish?

I haven't decided on a backer yet. The piece is prefinished with a cream paint ( that was part of the test, paint stayed put and did not splinter at all )
The plaque is really off balance, the knots are much heavier than the rest of the wood. I'm thinking of using a couple of small screws and a cord, maybe shifting the attachment points towards the weighted side.

8 hours ago, FrankEV said:

Very nice cutting.  Counterweight a great idea.

What are your plans for a backer and finish?

Been thinking about this one.

1/8 hardboard backer just over the size of the plaque, this will present some issues because that's larger then the throat of the saw, I can cut half from each direction though. I was thinking of painter the backer the colors of the Idaho License Plat; Red on top, a band of white in the middle, and blue on the bottom. If I use the tractor cut outs as plugs, I can use countersunk screws to mount the piece and eliminate tipping (the piece is out of balance. I'm thinking of adding shaker pegs on each end to make the piece more functional.

IMG_20240211_120405220_HDR.thumb.jpg.40ad0040899819676219f59a5ca09439.jpg  

2 hours ago, Wichman said:

Been thinking about this one.

1/8 hardboard backer just over the size of the plaque, this will present some issues because that's larger then the throat of the saw, I can cut half from each direction though. I was thinking of painter the backer the colors of the Idaho License Plat; Red on top, a band of white in the middle, and blue on the bottom. If I use the tractor cut outs as plugs, I can use countersunk screws to mount the piece and eliminate tipping (the piece is out of balance. I'm thinking of adding shaker pegs on each end to make the piece more functional.

IMG_20240211_120405220_HDR.thumb.jpg.40ad0040899819676219f59a5ca09439.jpg  

You could use the plaque as a template and trim the backer with a router with a trim bit.  However, because the Plaque is pre painted, I might be inclined to make the backer smaller than the Plaque so the backer edges do not show when hung.   To hang I would install two sawtooth hangers, one near each end close to the top.  It will hang with out any tipping.  Adding shaker pegs would be a nice touch, but not sure what would get hung on them.  IMO, jackets or the like would be too heavy.  Small fancy hooks might be better for hanging Keys or such.  The backer colors sound good, just wondering if they will show enough.  Potatoes are brown, aren't they.  A simple dark brown might look nice also.   These are all just my thoughts.  Not trying to tell you what to do.

another thought for hanging that can work is to use a toothed oblong hanger and then old the plaque between your thumb and index finger and bring the piece down to a table or flat surface, watching which side hits the table first. They move your hold toward that side and test it again. Do this until you find that the entire projects tough the surface at the same time. marking where you are holding the back side at that point, hammer in the saw tooth mounting bracket in the middle of where you were holding it when it hit the surface evenly. It does not matter if it is not exactly in the middle of your piece as it is not seen once it is hung and you can easily make small adjustment by simply moving it in the mounting bracket as needed.

Dick

heppnerguy