Need Your Thoughts?

Hawk

A few years ago I bought a King 16" mostly for camping as it is quite a bit lighter than the Delta P-20. My Daughter has expressed interest in the P-20 as it is the saw I had her "help" on some projects we did together when she was younger and now she wants to start scrolling on her own. She really wants the P-20 as it's the saw she used to watch me for hours cutting on and she got her first taste on scrolling on. So I'll be giving her the P-20 around August. I know over the long haul the 16" isn't going to accommodate the projects I have planned. Which brings me to my dilemma. 

I know I'm going to replace the Delta with a Pegas. I'm just stuck with weather get the 21" or 30"? My practical side tells me that the 21" is plenty, and a main stay for scrollsaws (at least that's my thought). But my inner child wants the 30" just for the cool factor. My question is from a mechanical point of view, is the 30" as sound a tool as the 21". Will it stand the test of time and run as smooth and reliable as the 21"?  

I know some of you here on the village come from a background that would know way better than me if the 30" is as good as the 21" from a mechanical stand point.

So, help me understand!

Chris

Watchful Eye 001.jpg

Edited by Hawk

I don't think with this "link style arm" saw that a smaller or larger saw has any difference.. at least not like a longer arm saw is.. Even the long arm saw as far as wear and tear on the mechanics of the machine is really not much difference I don't think.. so long as they are built right with weighted counterbalance to minimize vibrations etc. 

That being said, I guess if you have the extra space that a 30 inch saw would take and you don't plan to take it with you on camping trips etc.. then go for it.. 

If you like your King 16 inch why not the King 30 inch?  Here is Canada the 30 inch just went on sale for same price as the 21 inch. These are Canadian Prices so they are way more than US$.   Here in Canada the cost of a Pegas 30 inch is $1,874 so even with the new Pegas Blade Holders (if you think you want them) it is way cheaper.

Food for thought, Steve Good posted awhile ago that 96% of his patterns could be cut on a 16inch and it would be possible to cut the rest with multiple holes.  

If I was in the US I would look seriously at a Seyco 21 or 24.  I believe that Charles Dearing who does a lot of large portraits and pictures uses a Seyco.

Quote from my presentation on Scroll Saws

BUY THE BEST AND CRY ONLY ONCE

image.thumb.png.ec4a301a71f89cfc0ed5a7e4e38d510c.png

Edited by don in brooklin on

I really appreciate all the input here, as @NC Scroller and @don in brooklin on suggested is one of my big thoughts,  that is with a little creativity big projects can be cut on smaller saws. I don't plan to pullnthe trigger until August,  but its good to confirm my thinking that the mechanical quality is consistent thru the sizes.

You've all given my plenty to consider. 

thanks,  Chris

2 hours ago, Hawk said:

I really appreciate all the input here, as @NC Scroller and @don in brooklin on suggested is one of my big thoughts,  that is with a little creativity big projects can be cut on smaller saws. I don't plan to pullnthe trigger until August,  but its good to confirm my thinking that the mechanical quality is consistent thru the sizes.

You've all given my plenty to consider. 

thanks,  Chris

One thing to consider is the wait time between ordering and receiving your saw. When I ordered my 21” Pegas, it took about three or for months before it shipped.

I purchased my Pegas 30 from Denny and I can say I've never regretted it in any way. Have I cut anything that required the 30-inch throat... no, not yet. But it's there when I need it. I do plan on cutting large pieces in the future. I have the pattern right now for a piece that will be around 10-inches X 42-inches. This is a huge machine.

At the time I made the purchase, Pegas just came out with their 30-inch and Seyco just introduced their 24-inch. I was torn on which way to go. The Seyco had more distance between the blade and the front of the table, however, considering the Pegas blade clamps as well as the extra 6-inches, Pegas won the toss. The 21 would serve you well, I'm sure, but if you have the space I would recommend the larger, 30-inch saw.

Like I say, it is huge. My shop is unheated as well as having a few areas that drip when it rains. I purchased a 6' X 8' greenhouse popup tent where I house my saw, a table for my blades and a stool for a little 1500 watt heater that keeps me toasty warm even when the temp drops below freezing. I have a waste can for my scrap as I cut it out and a dust collector velcroed to the stand of the saw to catch the majority of the sawdust. (The dust collector is a styrofoam meat tray stuck to a piece of 1/4-inch ply cut to size and sits on the cross members of the saw stand.) Depending on how much I'm cutting, I roll up the door and give it a good vacuum when needed. The greenhouse has the large zip-up door as well as 2 zip-up windows that can be rolled up and secured. I don't think there will be an issue with it being too hot in the summer. If it is, I have several fans I can use to circulate the air.

Good luck on our decision. Regardless of which you choose, you won't regret going with a Pegas.

i am so grateful for my scroll saw, my scroll saw is pretty small, i make stuff more like letters and logos for sports teams but that is still fun but i would agree with everyone, go big! you still can make smaller stuff but you can't make big stuff with small scroll saws (by the way my scroll saw is 16" pretty small eh) Go Big! Go Big! 

I just went up in size from my EX 21 to now a Hawk G426 (so 26")  I really did like the extra space to swing around my boards.  I think going big just gives you more options.  I want to eventually do scroll work on some furniture as well as doing larger pieces so I needed the extra size.  The Seyco 24 does have a nice big table but I am sure either the King or the Pegas would also be wonderful saws....I really do like the Hawk G4... it is a beast compared to my Excalibur.   By the way,  I just love the picture of your daughter and you...thanks for sharing!:)

On 2/21/2024 at 11:43 PM, MarieC said:

I just went up in size from my EX 21 to now a Hawk G426 (so 26")  I really did like the extra space to swing around my boards.  I think going big just gives you more options.  I want to eventually do scroll work on some furniture as well as doing larger pieces so I needed the extra size.  The Seyco 24 does have a nice big table but I am sure either the King or the Pegas would also be wonderful saws....I really do like the Hawk G4... it is a beast compared to my Excalibur.   By the way,  I just love the picture of your daughter and you...thanks for sharing!:)

That picture is from when she was about 10. She is now 27, it surprised me she expressed interest in scrolling.  She always talks about watching me and when I let her do some cutting on the saw. 

44 minutes ago, Hawk said:

That picture is from when she was about 10. She is now 27, it surprised me she expressed interest in scrolling.  She always talks about watching me and when I let her do some cutting on the saw. 

My dad didn't do scroll saw work, but I have fond memories of him puttering around in his workshop!

I have the Ex 30 which I purchased almost 25 years ago. At that time I upgraded from a 20” to this 30” and I have never regretted doing so. Cost was not a factor. Quality and service was all that mattered. I don’t need this size all that often but when I do I’m glad I chose the 30”. The saw operates, runs and looks as well as the first day I had bought it. I’m sure it’ll outlast me.