Band Saw

edward

I speak from some experience here as I had one of the cheap band saws at one time. But, with that said, I don't see any reason to run out and spend a fortune on a new one either. In my area, I see quite a few used saws of good quality. Delta is my favorite. I bought a Delta about 10 years ago for about $300 if I recall. I don't see that they have gone up much since then. I also see a lot of restored saws that sell for as much of more than a new one. So, my advice is, if you aren't in a rush, keep an eye open for a good deal on a use saw. Craigslist and Marketplace are your friends. I have a complete workshop full of used tools. I just picked up a 12 inch disk sander a couple of days ago for $50. It weighs a ton and runs as smooth as butter. Good luck, and be patient.

With the HF ( or other small band saws ), remember that these are light duty tools. Yes the specs say that it will cut 3 5/8" ( a 2 x 4 on end ) but it will be slow, and you'd better have the right blade ( 1/4" or less and 3 to 4 tpi ). I was trying to cut 2" Elm and I kept stalling the motor; 1/2" Elm and it was fine ( I was ripping 6'  live edge boards inteded for non scroll saw project wood ).

Before I cut a single thing I went through the saw and adjusted everything to the specs in the manual. I also bought a couple of blades from other than HF sources. I have had the saw for about 5 years now, and although it doesn't get much use, it has stayed in adjustment the whole time. 

I have two bandsaws...A 15" Jet for mainly resaw/ripping and a10" Rikon for small stuff.

Bandsaws can be one of the most frustrating tools in a shop.  While Alex Snodgrass makes it sound easy, sometimes not so easy.  A used saw could be great or require new rubber wheels, alignment, guides, etc.  If you have some experience with a bandsaw and are handy with machines, then used is great.

Personally, I am at a point where I want to use a machine and not spend a lot of time fixing it.

If you go used, consider seeing if replacement parts available.  
I bought a yard sale ancient Craftsman some time back and discovered parts were no longer to be had.
Managed to sell if at our yard sale later, taking only a small loss.
Did a couple side hustle deck jobs and last summer got a 14" Jet bandsaw, primarily for resawing.
No regrets and leaning towards getting another smaller one as I am not fond of changing the bandsaw blades back and forth.
Good luck on your quest.

7 hours ago, OCtoolguy said:

I speak from some experience here as I had one of the cheap band saws at one time. But, with that said, I don't see any reason to run out and spend a fortune on a new one either. In my area, I see quite a few used saws of good quality. Delta is my favorite. I bought a Delta about 10 years ago for about $300 if I recall. I don't see that they have gone up much since then. I also see a lot of restored saws that sell for as much of more than a new one. So, my advice is, if you aren't in a rush, keep an eye open for a good deal on a use saw. Craigslist and Marketplace are your friends. I have a complete workshop full of used tools. I just picked up a 12 inch disk sander a couple of days ago for $50. It weighs a ton and runs as smooth as butter. Good luck, and be patient.

Ray, lucky you for finding a 12 inch disk sander for that price....Great find!

15 hours ago, MarieC said:

Ray, lucky you for finding a 12 inch disk sander for tha12-inch....Great find!

Thanks. It popped up on Marketplace. I couldn't believe the price but responded immediately that I'd take it. I figured that even if it didn't work I could salvage the bones and make something out of it. She just wanted it gone to make room for something else.