Lubrication of scroll saw?

Should my scroll saw be  a scroll saw be lubricated? I checked the manual and noting is said about lubrication. I have read here that  some people say they should be lubricated with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) some say 3in one oil. I have a WEN LL2156 21-Inch 1.6-Amp Variable Speed Parallel Arm Scroll Saw that is about 6 months old but now is making a noise that seems to be in the arm.

Well, first of all, at only 6 months, it really shouldn't be making any noise. But, with that said, everything that comes from off shore is being built as cheaply as humanly possible and in some cases no grease or lubrication has been added prior to shipping. It's just a sad fact. Your saw is very similar to all the saws of that same design. In my case, when I bought my first saw it was a used Dewalt 788 and I had no idea how it had been maintained. So after watching a very wonderful set of how-to videos done by Bob Brokaw through Gwinnette Woodworkers Youtube site, I decided to tear my saw apart and inspect and lubricate all the bearings. And there are many. I would imagine that yours is no different. So, the short answer to your question is, yes, take it apart and inspect it. But, first try to locate those videos and watch them. They won't pertain to your exact saw but should be close enough that you can get an idea of what to do and how to do it. Also, I might add, at only 6 months of age, it should still be under warranty. If you bought it from Home Depot, I'd suggest taking it back and getting another saw. Or have them send it in for repair. Wen has a very good reputation for standing behind what they sell. I've had good luck with them regarding my air cleaner when the remote control went south. They send me a new remote and the updated circuit board. Best of luck. I'm sure it will all work out.

14 hours ago, JimNC said:

Should my scroll saw be  a scroll saw be lubricated? I checked the manual and noting is said about lubrication. I have read here that  some people say they should be lubricated with Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) some say 3in one oil. I have a WEN LL2156 21-Inch 1.6-Amp Variable Speed Parallel Arm Scroll Saw that is about 6 months old but now is making a noise that seems to be in the arm.

If your saw is only 6 months old it should be under warranty.  Check with the manufacturer before tearing it apart.

There are Four oil grommets on the saw two top and two below, just pry it open with your finger and using a small oil can drop some oil into the cup of the grommet, this should be done regularly otherwise the phosphor bronze bearing will run very dry and start scouring, then you will have problems.

2 hours ago, Insane Dust Maker said:

There are Four oil grommets on the saw two top and two below, just pry it open with your finger and using a small oil can drop some oil into the cup of the grommet, this should be done regularly otherwise the phosphor bronze bearing will run very dry and start scouring, then you will have problems.

I'm not sure you are familiar with the saw he has. His saw has many bearings in it's mechanism and they must be disassembled and inspected. But first, it must be determined if it's in or out of warranty.

2 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

Interesting, the manual says all bearing are sealed and do not need lubrication.

That's interesting. I wonder if they might be a replacement for all the bearings in the Dewalts, Ex's, Seyco's, and Pegas's. If so that would be nice to know.

I went out and found the owner's manual with parts diagram and parts list. I did a quick scan and found that the bearing part numbers are the same as the bearings in the Dewalt saws. They also list the sleeeves but I didn't take the time to look up the Dewalt numbers. I just happened to have the bearing part numbers. They might call them sealed but they aren't. They are a caged needle/roller bearing and DO require maintenance.

If the bearings are needle rollers and are not sealed then in my opinion it’s a serious design fault. If you consider the dust that these saws create it would be like a grinding paste to the bearings, all my bearings around my motor on my Wen are sealed. The bearing arms are where the phosphor bronze shots are and they must be oiled continuously.

I was just telling what the manual says.  

I find it interesting all the posts over time about bearing issues with various scroll saws.  It appears that replacing the bearings on them or even lubricating them is not an easy task. You would think that if the bears needed to be lubricated they would make it easy to do.

Every time I read about this, I am happy with my Hegner.  All it takes is a couple drops of oil every once in awhile in easily accessible places.

Edited by Sycamore67

5 hours ago, Sycamore67 said:

I was just telling what the manual says.  

I find it interesting all the posts over time about bearing issues with various scroll saws.  It appears that replacing the bearings on them or even lubricating them is not an easy task. You would think that if the bears needed to be lubricated they would make it easy to do.

Every time I read about this, I am happy with my Hegner.  All it takes is a couple drops of oil every once in awhile in easily accessible places.

I have to agree. All the saws that use the link system should have sealed bearings in them. 

Posted (edited)

Found my noise.  When I hold the machine down tightly, the noise goes away. I built a new bench and I think the normal vibrations of the machine are amplified by the empty and hollow bench. I think I should think of putting rubber pads under the machine and bolting it down will do the job. I made the top of the bench attached with a hinge so that i could adjust the saws slant.  I used a large door hinge because that is what I had. I'm going to change that to a piano hinge before I bolt bolt the saw down. 

Also as stated " the manual says all bearing are sealed and do not need lubrication".

Thanks for all the great help!

Edited by JimNC

3 hours ago, JimNC said:
Found my noise.  When I hold the machine down tightly, the noise goes away. I built a new bench and I think the normal vibrations of the machine are amplified by the empty and hollow bench. I think I should think of putting rubber pads under the machine and bolting it down will do the job. I made the top of the bench attached with a hinge so that i could adjust the saws slant.  I used a large door hinge because that is what I had. I'm going to change that to a piano hinge before I bolt bolt the saw down. 
Also as stated " the manual says all bearings are sealed and do not need lubrication".

Thanks for all the great help!
Don't believe everything you read.  I'm familiar with the bearing numbers listed and they are not sealed.  They are the same bearings that Dewalt uses.