DW788 Service

OLD WORMY

My type 1 DW 788 is about 15 years old and needs a general overhaul that replaces worn parts and brings it to like new condition.  The local Dewalt factory service center has qouted me a maximum price of $259 to perform this overhaul they call their GRC service. It could be less depending upon the actual parts replaced. Has anyone had this done and are you satisfied with the results?  I am leary of spending half the price of a new one to fix my old saw although I would prefer my type 1 to a new type 2. The saw still runs great but is showing some signs of wear and needs a tune up.  What do you think?

as a rule those cost are for replacing a motor or  a circuit board My type 2 is in the shop now because it shorts out and blows a fuse that is the information that they gave me.I had it in one other time and it was $40 It's a chance I take. My type 1 is still running good.It was rebuilt a year before I bought it,

My type 1 DW 788 is about 15 years old and needs a general overhaul that replaces worn parts and brings it to like new condition.  The local Dewalt factory service center has qouted me a maximum price of $259 to perform this overhaul they call their GRC service. It could be less depending upon the actual parts replaced. Has anyone had this done and are you satisfied with the results?  I am leary of spending half the price of a new one to fix my old saw although I would prefer my type 1 to a new type 2. The saw still runs great but is showing some signs of wear and needs a tune up.  What do you think?

My dw type 1 took lots of abuse from me I decided to re grease all the bearings i could except 2 with Valvoline synthetic grease.2 bearings needed to be pressed out so i didn't want to be with out a saw so i left them alone .The saw was very sloppy before the grease job ,now over a year later it's still going strong and pulling blade tension at 1.5 to 2 consistently .Repack the bears isn't hard and well worth the benefits Go for the do it your self job and buy grosses of blades with the money you save!Plenty of u-tube videos on the dw 788 break down available! Just "Google"what you want to know!

Gwinnett Woodworkers made a video some time ago showing how to overhaul a 788. I know it is on Youtube. I have it bookmarked at home but alas I'M at work.

I would at least look at it before I spent 250 bucks. If I could do it myself for 50.

Let us know what happens. Good Luck

Fredfret

Dw788/BM-26(RBI)

Wichita, Ks

This begs another question in my mind. Many on this site seem to be critical of the DeWalt type 2. It's what I have and having never used a type 1, have nothing to compare. Is there a significant difference in performance? Am I missing out on a nirvana scrolling experience by having a type 2? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Jim

I've exercised the $259 rebuild option several times, mostly with success. However I have found the saw only lasts me another 2 years before it has to go in again, usually for a different problem. The last time however was a different situation. The saw came back worse than when it went in. Discovered that an inexperienced tech had worked on it. So they gave me a brand new saw for the $259! BUT that saw turned out to be defective!
I will try a different brand next time I need to buy a saw. Probably an Ex since Woodcraft sells them locally.

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, I have had my #2 for 7 yrs. now & just made some adjustments & replaced the blade holders on mine. If you are a production type scroller, it may make a difference. I only use mine for hobby & some commission jobs. Some owners complain of the blade movement forward & back which causes problems with corner turns. I mostly use spiral blades, so I don't have that problem.  Take Care

Edited by ubgoofy2003

• 8 years later...
On 11/16/2015 at 8:40 PM, browders said:

This begs another question in my mind. Many on this site seem to be critical of the DeWalt type 2. It's what I have and having never used a type 1, have nothing to compare. Is there a significant difference in performance? Am I missing out on a nirvana scrolling experience by having a type 2? Enquiring minds would like to know.

Jim

There is a difference. I have a type 2 made in Taiwan, and the Type 1 was made in Canada. After I started teaching at my local woodworking store, I was able to use a Type 1 and i definitely noticed the difference. They run smoother and quieter and the cut quality was better also. I wouldn't say it was a nirvana experience but I feel like the Type 1 just performs better overall. If you are ever able to try one out I suggest you do. Now I am just trying to figure out how I can switch out my saw for one of the classroom saws. heh heh.

On 11/17/2015 at 8:21 AM, orangeman said:

I've exercised the $259 rebuild option several times, mostly with success. However I have found the saw only lasts me another 2 years before it has to go in again, usually for a different problem. The last time however was a different situation. The saw came back worse than when it went in. Discovered that an inexperienced tech had worked on it. So they gave me a brand new saw for the $259! BUT that saw turned out to be defective!
I will try a different brand next time I need to buy a saw. Probably an Ex since Woodcraft sells them locally.

Dewalt has progressively gotten worse quality wise in the last 10 years which kind of makes me sad. they used to be the top of the mid-range priced tools. 10 years ago you knew you were getting quality, now it is hit or miss.