For the record... moving STINKS!

Iguanadon

Closed on the new house Friday and started moving the workshop Saturday.  Big step up for Iggy from a hotbox oven (garden shed) to a sizable area in a 2 1/2 car garage.  My biggest concern is dust... after seeing how much dust was on EVERYTHING in the shed it really reinforced the need to do everything I can so as not to make a total mess in the garage.  

So, step one was creating a "cutting area" and I did this by setting my saw up in a corner and hanging plastic around it.  This achieves two things actually... it gets rather hot in the garage and this way I can run my portable AC in the enclosed area and keep myself cool while also containing the dust.

Last night I ordered a Dust Deputy from Amazon and look forward to setting it up to hopefully suck in a large portion of the dust created from cutting 35-40 of my animal puzzles each week.

Here's a snapshot of the enclosure I quickly setup as an initial test yesterday.  I call it my Dexter Kill Room.  Today's chore was moving everything from the shed into the garage. (The new house is only 3 blocks from the old house).

We move in officially this coming Friday after a crew builds a fence for the dogs and paints the interior of the house for us.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Iggy

post-29379-0-32479600-1472416600_thumb.jpg

i own five scroll saws, & have them all set up to run for different uses in my shop. I also have a shop full of other woodworking equipment, like most others here. My shop is fairly small,  & so things have to placed to move around them. i have castors on all my big tools, including the scroll saws. Dust is an issue, my ceilings are 7'. The shop is climate controlled. You'll find, IMO, as you get into scrolling, you're going to want more room around you, & air flow. I would caution you about the use of your plastic. 

i own five scroll saws, & have them all set up to run for different uses in my shop. I also have a shop full of other woodworking equipment, like most others here. My shop is fairly small,  & so things have to placed to move around them. i have castors on all my big tools, including the scroll saws. Dust is an issue, my ceilings are 7'. The shop is climate controlled. You'll find, IMO, as you get into scrolling, you're going to want more room around you, & air flow. I would caution you about the use of your plastic. 

Thanks for the input.  I had my contractor quote me a price to build a wall to separate my entire shop area from the 2 car bays... I didn't want to go that route, but I have a feeling I'll have to do it.  

I knew there was a bunch of dust in my shed, but it was amazing how it spread everywhere, covering everything... I simply can't have that occur in the garage.

Iggy

Looks good so far.Seen that setup for finishing, not sure how it will work for scrolling though. The fine dust floating through the air is a big concern. I also agree about having more room. Steve Good did a review on a dewalt dust filter that may help. Not familiar with the one you mentioned or if it is the same style. Best of luck working out the bugs.

Best to collect dust at the source. I collect dust from the top of my saw with 3/4" Loc-Line. It is adjustable to be in the best location. I also collect from below with an adjustable PVC pipe. Both are connected to a HEPA rated vac which turns on when the saw does.

The plastic will keep dust from spreading but concentrate it where you work.

I do have a whole shop dust collection system but the vac works great for the scroll saw.

I have been in a 2 car garage for years now with scroll saw, planners, table saw, etc. Yes it does get dusty. I have a jet dust collector I hook direct to the saws. the planner is on its own no hood and this really puts out the dust but I have the 16 foot door open and fan blowing out but need dusting and vacuum after. I don't plan much. Also have a jet room dust collection in the ceiling however it quit working a bout a month ago and haven't figured it out why yet. Congrats on your move to bigger digs. I want to move but scary to pull up stakes in Indianapolis and go to Charlotte NC but will make decision in the spring.

Closed on the new house Friday and started moving the workshop Saturday.  Big step up for Iggy from a hotbox oven (garden shed) to a sizable area in a 2 1/2 car garage.  My biggest concern is dust... after seeing how much dust was on EVERYTHING in the shed it really reinforced the need to do everything I can so as not to make a total mess in the garage.  

So, step one was creating a "cutting area" and I did this by setting my saw up in a corner and hanging plastic around it.  This achieves two things actually... it gets rather hot in the garage and this way I can run my portable AC in the enclosed area and keep myself cool while also containing the dust.

Last night I ordered a Dust Deputy from Amazon and look forward to setting it up to hopefully suck in a large portion of the dust created from cutting 35-40 of my animal puzzles each week.

Here's a snapshot of the enclosure I quickly setup as an initial test yesterday.  I call it my Dexter Kill Room.  Today's chore was moving everything from the shed into the garage. (The new house is only 3 blocks from the old house).

We move in officially this coming Friday after a crew builds a fence for the dogs and paints the interior of the house for us.

Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Iggy

I like your plastic isolation room.Just make sure there's positive air flow in and out so your safe from the fine dust

I would think I had died and gone to heaven to have that much room for a shop.   :)  As far as dust goes spend your money and time collecting dust from each machine. Living where you do it's got to be hot so in my opinion I would have air conditioning. If you can't go to the shop and be comfortable why would you go there? Here is a couple of pictures of how I collect dust.

My miter saw. The carpet is to keep dust bouncing off the back and sides. I hook up both my Grizzly 1 1/2 HP dust collector and my shop vac.

wNjq4Gb.jpg

On my router table I get almost no dust from it. 

7UMwI1W.jpg

72rP64e.jpg

GI2NV1j.jpg

My table saw has dust collection but I still get some dust.

eb4qbld.jpg

I have had to move three times as an adult. The things misplaced in the move and not rediscovered for years is just amazing. I was cleaning out a shed last fall and found a box of tools that I forgot about completely. My lathe knives and some calipers, etc. I gave the lathe to my brother during a move in 1987. My old dunlap jig saw was given away during that same move. I found my folder of patterns half charred after my shop burned 18 months ago. I hate the urgent rush to pack and move, and then no matter how organized one tries to be, well meaning helpers scatter the boxes to the 4 corners and attic.

I moved my workshop four years ago when I was only 70.  I moved all my equipment by myself by using P O D S .  The box they deliver is 3 1/2" off the floor so after building short ramps I rolled all my equipment into  and out of it.  They moved the box and it was easy for me.

I had my shop in one stall of a three car garage so I built a wall to separate the shop from the parking.  Made for a narrow shop.  I suggest you have a dust collector to all your equipment and have the dust collector outside. (in a closet).  My dust collector emits too much fine dust to keep in inside.  Not even in the parking part of the garage.