blade tensioning

David Hall

Just bought a new craftsman saw, works well so far for this rookie. It came with a couple pin in and and couple pinless blades. The pin in blades work well. The pinless blade I can't seem to get the tension right.

Is there some sort of right way to do it or is it just a matter of getting some experience?

My view is the best teacher for that is experience.  Every saw is different.  I listen to the "ping" of the blade when I thump it.  It should be high pitched.  But practice and do not give up.  I recently bought a new saw and it is a whole new learning experience from my other saw.  I was about ready to give up.  Even  got in contact with the seller for help.  But I kept practicing over the week end and finally started having success.  Now I need to work down through my blades and practice with each one I want to use.

Blades will stretch. I will usually put in a new blade tension it, run the saw for a little while then re-tension the blade. Also check to see if your blade clamps are holding sufficiently.

I agree. I've had them stretch during a cut and increased the tension on the fly on my Craftsman. I also replaced the set screw on the upper blade holder with a threaded knob which makes changing and aligning blades much faster and easier.

Alot of good advice up there.Pinless blades do yake some getting use to.you will find almost each time you change the blade you will have to adjust the tension.If it wanders to much its to loose.I always move it with my fingers.if I can wiggle it more than a little,than it to loose.But that is just me.I have been scrolling for 10 years. :oops: I hope we have been some help to ya.

i HAVE A dw788 AND WHEN i CHANGE BLADES i SET THE TENSION AT  CLOSE TO  FULL . NO PROBLEM WITH MY OLDER SAWS I PINGED IT AND GOT A HIGH PITCH TONE AND THAT WAS IT. A LOT OF THE TIME THE BLADE WILL SLIP AND YOU HAVE TO WIPE OFF THE END OF THE BLADE. TGHEN IT MAY BE IN THE  TIGHTENING SCREW  YOU CAN'T GET IT TIGHT ENOUGH IN THIS CASE GET SOME THREAD EASE AND PUT IT ON THE SCREW AND THIS WILL HELP.

Anti-seize (specific stuff ) <not any type of lube >anti-seize keeps softer threads from gauling and eating out the softer threads as max pressure is applied when you tighten clamps ,and lube will cause all kinds of issues !availible .any auto parts sin small size (you don't need much ,just on the threads !

Edited by Multifasited

Tensioning blades can be difficult to learn. For pinless blades ( all I use ) i backed off the tension adjustment, installed a new blade and then set the tension. I bottomed out the ends of the blade in the bottom and top holders before setting the tension. When I change blades I just bottom the ends and then pull the tension lever. Blades are set. If the blades stretch a bit, on the fly works well. But I normally found that when a blade starts to stretch it is time to replace it. This may not be the right way but I know it works for me.

Easiest way to learn , is to do a fret pc. with multi holes you will learn very quickly what works and what don't !

I have to agree ,unless you leave a new blade tightened over nite ,by the time they stretch enough to change anything ,it's time to replace the blade ,scrubbing till the last with a dull blade to me is false saving ,when the blade starts to bow alot you need to find the problem ,wrong blade for the job ,dull blade ,wrong tension etc. JMHO

I had the same problem and I solved it by using some thread seize , I bought a tube  for about $4 and it solved the problem, yesterday It happened again so I will now take both screws out and  put a little on each and reinstall them. if I can find the tube of screw seize . The last time I used it was 1 1/2 years ago.

When I am putting a new blade in my saw, I always sand both ends of my blade before I put it in my saw. This removes the oil and makes it a little rougher so that it grips and stays gripped even better. This helps prevent the slippage problem that many experience with losing tension in the middle of a cut. If you need a little more help then this, you can also sand the points on the points that contact the blade and hold it while you saw.

Dick

heppnerguy